FJ - Completely OT - benefits of downtime in Kingman, AZ - :-)

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: FJ - Completely OT - benefits of downtime in Kingman, AZ - :-)
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Saturday, January 14, 2017 - 12:20 pm:

Weather is nice.

Good looking foreign women waiting in line from tour buses at McDonalds provide visual distraction.

Get to do work on the truck & trailer in above freezing weather.

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Saturday, January 14, 2017 - 12:40 pm:

1951, on the way home from Grandma's, we stopped in Kingman for breakfast. Mom took a look at the old cowboy frying sausages swimming in grease and decided we'd go eat someplace else. I don't remember where we went.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Saturday, January 14, 2017 - 12:53 pm:

Steve,

Normally I do not notice beautiful women ....

But ...

There is a tour bus every 15 minutes coming in - sometime two ...

I am in a European Babefest ....

Le' Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Saturday, January 14, 2017 - 01:11 pm:

Now my wife won't let us stop in Kingsman--thanks Jim!
:-)
Oh, wait, we almost never drive that way. . .

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Saturday, January 14, 2017 - 01:20 pm:

FJ...did you take my advice from your other post and take in the tour of Hoover Dam? I absolutely love that place, the trip down that loooong elevator is something else! Walking under the dam hearing all the water pounding above you can also be a bit intimidating, plus seeing some of the leaks coming through the walls! I'm ready to go back. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wes Nelson ........Bucyrus, MO on Saturday, January 14, 2017 - 01:24 pm:

I was there, I think 1958 or 1960..

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Saturday, January 14, 2017 - 02:10 pm:

Tim,

Been to Hoover Dam many times ...

Wes,

Everyone should take the steam train to the Grand Canyon from Williams & spend the night in one of the cabins on the rim.

Did that years ago ...

Went to Walmart yesterday & bought a receiver hitch carrier & outdoor storage tote for about $120.00

Modified it to fit my trailer tongue.

Forum image posting seems to be down ...

Image on Instagram:

@ https://www.instagram.com/directenclosedautohauler/#

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Saturday, January 14, 2017 - 04:41 pm:

Grand Canyon Railway seldom runs steam now--they're trying to be "environmentally friendly"--I use quotes because, in spite of all the smoke a steam engine makes, it is far less polluting than a dismal.
I think 3759 is still on display?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Saturday, January 14, 2017 - 10:46 pm:

When we visited i think they were saying they ran their steamer on used deep fryer oil?? Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Sunday, January 15, 2017 - 01:02 am:

David - I think you are another victim of "auto-correct", however, your diesel becoming "dismal" actually makes sense, coming from a true steam engine enthusiast like you!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Sunday, January 15, 2017 - 01:36 am:

Harold,
Uh, yeah, that's my story and I'm sticking to it. (Dismal is a derogatory term used by steam folks, another one is "infernal combustion"!)
Ken, Yes, that's part of their "being green" plan.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Sunday, January 15, 2017 - 09:13 am:

Steam trains are now operating on Saturdays:

@ https://www.thetrain.com/special-events/steam/

Boy I guess it was longer ago than I thought that we took the steam train - it was great !

They slowed the train down - horseback riders boarded & proceeded to " rob " the passengers with their guns drawn - it was all staged of course.

Great fun !

Steam Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Warren on Sunday, January 15, 2017 - 09:35 am:

Jim, A great place for parts in Kingman, is Tractor Supply, It is on the south side of 40 on Stockton Rd. East side first light. If you are ever in Las Vegas ( usually warmer) and need help with anything, Just call. 702-353-4436

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Sunday, January 15, 2017 - 09:39 am:

Hi John,

Thanks !

I actually stayed in Summerlin for a couple weeks in September of last year waiting to build a trip.

Attended the Mandalay Bay Mecum Auction.

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Sunday, January 15, 2017 - 04:47 pm:

Well ...

Kingman is on the short list for retirement.

I was out in the Tractor Supply parking lot cleaning up the trailer when a nice young man stopped and politely ask if he could look at the Model T in the trailer.

He is in 7th grade.

Turns out he had been to the Petersen Car Museum and had an interest specifically and Model T cars.

His dad is 35 and a union carpenter.

Las Vegas is about 100 miles away and he was commuting every day until a few years ago when worked right up.

Now he works at one of the largest employers in town, a toilet paper manufacturing facility that employees about 150 people by the airport.

The water table currently is at 500 feet, the town has refused offers from Walgreens-Walmart-Hershey-to build large industrial complexes here.

They want to protect the retirement community and the Route 66 heritage.

So,

Bandon, Oregon
Monson, Maine
Kingman, Arizona
Tucumcari, New Mexico

Freighter Jim

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration