Installing the Fun Projects Voltage Regulator and generator

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Installing the Fun Projects Voltage Regulator and generator
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick in Florida on Saturday, January 14, 2017 - 07:08 pm:

Hello all. I have a 6V, negative ground system on my 1926 Coupe. Last year, I inadvertently installed my battery backwards, which burned out the generator and voltage regulator. I have finally gotten around to working on it.

I am installing an unadjusted rebuilt generator (by Ron Patterson) and a new Fun Projects 6V negative ground voltage regulator as well as a 30 amp fuse kit, as recommended by the voltage regulator instructions. I have all the above mentioned parts installed in the car and the yellow battery wire hooked up to the voltage regulator, but have not yet hooked up the battery. I have the instructions to the voltage regulator which explains the procedure on setting the brushes, but I wanted to contact all the experts here to see if there is anything I have forgotten, or if there are any precautions I need to be aware of before hooking up the battery, which will immediately provide the voltage regulator with juice. I don't want to burn anything up by doing something out of order. The new 6V battery has a full charge and I have made sure the wiring is correct this time so, all I need to do is hook the positive cable to the battery.

Does the third brush on the generator need to be in a certain position beforehand? I have an original steel drive gear on the generator and a steel timing gear. Thank you in advance for the help and advice you give, which I hope to utilize tomorrow to get ol' Daisy running again. Jim Patrick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Dufault on Saturday, January 14, 2017 - 07:18 pm:

Jim,

You wrote: "
I am installing an unadjusted rebuilt generator (by Ron Patterson)

I find it hard to believe that it is "unadjusted".

The only expert you should contact is Ron....the more input you receive from others the more confusing things become.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Saturday, January 14, 2017 - 07:21 pm:

Should probably talk to both Ron and John about the whole shooting match.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Patterson-Nicholasville, Kentucky on Saturday, January 14, 2017 - 07:33 pm:

Groan.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Kelsey on Saturday, January 14, 2017 - 07:56 pm:

If you follow the instructions, which are very clear, it will work wonderfully and keep your battery charged. I am not very bright when it comes to electrical stuff and confused myself at first, reading into things as far as how far to throttle the engine. Once I did exactly what the instructions said, it began charging the battery. I believe it works better than the cut out.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick in Florida on Saturday, January 14, 2017 - 10:21 pm:

Jim K., I know what you mean. Anything electric is a big mystery and is one of the few things that scare and completely baffle me.

Dave D., I am assuming the generator Ron rebuilt is unadjusted as, I thought that each engine was different and that each generator had to be adjusted to the particular engine, when installed.

If however, there is a universal adjustment that the third brush can be set at, prior to installation so that it is more or less adjusted when first started up, Ron would know what that position is, so that if my generator was adjusted by Ron, it would make the installation much less worrisome. Jim Patrick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Noonan - Norton, MA. on Saturday, January 14, 2017 - 10:51 pm:

Jim, as long as you have everything wired properly like you said, I wouldn't worry about the initial brush setting. Start it up and take a quick look at the Ammeter, it will probably be at 0 with a fully charged battery. Carefully follow the instructions provided with John's regulator regarding setting the third brush and you should be good to go. Just my 2 cents.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Doug Money - Braidwood, IL on Saturday, January 14, 2017 - 11:43 pm:

http://www.funprojects.com/pdf/5055R6-052111.pdf

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John F. Regan on Sunday, January 15, 2017 - 01:54 am:

Just spotted this thread just now. Been busy all day. As others have said please just follow the instructions exactly and all show be fine. The instructions are written such that you minimize the chances of hurting the VR or Generator in the unlikely even that something is not wired correctly or some part of your system is not working properly. Unfortunately a lot folks just decide to install it and "just try it" and that then increases the chances of doing some damage if in fact there is something wrong with the generator or car wiring/battery. I fully in favor of installing that one main fuse since that will save your wiring in the event there is a fault. One simple fuse installed at the source of battery power at the starter foot switch is all you really need to be safe. More fuses just adds complication without providing more safety IMHO.

Don't overthink the installation. Just follow the instructions on the VR to the letter and all should be fine. You can contact me offline if you need any clarification on anything.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Patterson-Nicholasville, Kentucky on Sunday, January 15, 2017 - 09:00 am:

Jim
My rebuilt generators came with installation instructions indicating the charging rate it was set for on my spin tester. I cannot set it for your car because the tester and car wiring are different lengths. Install it with a relay cutout and make sure everything is working properly and then install the FunProjects VR and follow the instructions to the letter.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick in Florida on Sunday, January 15, 2017 - 10:33 am:

Thank you all very much for your valuable advice. Especially John and Ron. After your reassurances, I am much more comfortable that I will be able to do this properly today.

One gets a little gun shy after burning up one generator and voltage regulator through carelessness and has a tendency to avoid an unfamiliar job that, if done wrong, can do a lot of expensive damage. Thanks again. I look forward to being able to take my T out on the road in this beautiful 72 degree Florida weather. Jim Patrick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Kelsey on Sunday, January 15, 2017 - 12:34 pm:

Jim:

I have made similar mistakes and completely understand where you are coming from. It is all part of the learning experience.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick in Florida on Sunday, January 15, 2017 - 05:36 pm:

A learning process which never stops. I've had my T since 1970. 46 years! LOL! Jim Patrick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom D on Sunday, January 15, 2017 - 09:09 pm:

Jim, you say you desire to be cautious, yet you say you have a negative ground system and all you need to do is hook up the positive cable. That implies to me you have the negative, the ground cable, already connected. To me, caution would connect the negative-ground cable last.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John F. Regan on Monday, January 16, 2017 - 01:03 am:

Tom:

I am not sure I follow your logic with regard to it being safer to connect the ground cable last. Could you elaborate?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Schedler, Sacramento on Monday, January 16, 2017 - 02:03 am:

Jim, Ditto. I got mine in 1945 and it runs good. I just bought one of John Regan's regulators and am waiting for a generator from Ron to install it on. John's instructions appear very easy to follow, even for a guy like me who never asks for instructions....because I think I know it all.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Thomas on Monday, January 16, 2017 - 06:14 am:

when installing a battery, always connect the ground connection last. Does not matter if it is a positive or a negative ground system. This eliminates the chance of shorting across to the frame with the wrench. In the case of a negative ( - ) ground system, connect the negative last. On my '25 model T, this is a copper strap that connects to the frame.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Zibell, Huntsville, AL on Monday, January 16, 2017 - 08:07 am:

John Regan, I was taught to always disconnect ground first, and connect last. If a wrench makes contact with the frame or other metal there will be no spark. Since hydrogen gas may be present around a lead acid battery it reduces the chance of a battery explosion.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David L Corman on Monday, January 16, 2017 - 11:04 am:

John Regan---Same idea on jump starting a car Hook up ground Last and disconnect First. It is best to hook up ground not on battery post also to reduce chance of explosion. Engine block, frame, or ect. will suffice.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration