Knowledgeable Frame People

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Knowledgeable Frame People
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Saturday, January 14, 2017 - 07:21 pm:

I just got what I believe to be an original 1917 or 1918 frame. I intend to use it on the 1917 Coupelet I bought recently. It has the side holes for the new style firewall brackets, and no provisions for a battery carrier. What's interesting is it still has the holes for the 1913 muffler. Comments?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Bowker, Ramona, CA on Saturday, January 14, 2017 - 07:36 pm:

I seem to remember Bruce (RIP) writing that Ford rarely deleted holes in the chassis so a current chassis would fit earlier cars.
Of course this probably does not apply to the 26/7 , I wonder if they have the holes for the front fender supports?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Bowker, Ramona, CA on Saturday, January 14, 2017 - 07:38 pm:

I checked the coupe and the chassis has the holes on top of the chassis for the early firewall.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Sunday, January 15, 2017 - 10:01 am:

Sounds like a '17-18 frame to me. Does it have the holes on the top rails for the earlier firewall brackets as well?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Trent Boggess on Sunday, January 15, 2017 - 12:27 pm:

Larry,

Does the front cross member have the name "Ford" in script on it? 1917-1918 frames should not.

Trent

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Sunday, January 15, 2017 - 01:19 pm:

Trent: No Ford script on the cross member. Yikes!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Monday, January 16, 2017 - 10:47 am:

It has the holes for the earlier firewall brackets.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Monday, January 16, 2017 - 07:52 pm:

With the holes for both types of firewall brackets and no battery carrier holes, I'd say that you are correct in your assessment of it. It should be correct for your '17.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Monday, January 16, 2017 - 08:23 pm:

Larry,I have a real nice set of tapered,clipped front springs for a 17.If interested,I could bring to Chickasha?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Tuesday, January 17, 2017 - 09:25 am:

Tapered AND clipped, Uncle Jack? I thought tapered springs and clipped springs were two different types. Maybe a picture would help me understand what you're talking about.

I believe that 17's came with clipped leaves in the front and tapered ones in the back.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Tuesday, January 17, 2017 - 12:10 pm:

Jack, why not bring this spring to Chickasha anyway? Then we can all see it!

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration