Radiator opinions please

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Radiator opinions please
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Saturday, January 14, 2017 - 10:28 pm:

My 26 roadster pick up has developed a small leak. The radiator is a original type. It has never gave any problems and runs cool. It looks old so my question is should take it to a radiator shop and let them fix and boil it out or buy a new one? Now what is the best radiator for the money and what is the brand you guys would buy. Also which supplier should I buy from? I normally buy from Langs. Thanks for the opinions and help. Tim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed Fuller on Saturday, January 14, 2017 - 10:46 pm:

If it's a small leak the least expensive fix would be to just keep adding water.

If the leak bothers you to much, then buy a new one.

I wouldn't waste time and money on an old radiator.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Bamford, Edmonton AB on Saturday, January 14, 2017 - 10:55 pm:

If the car runs cool (rad is basically OK) but has a small leak, you can likely fix it yourself depending on where the leak is.

Identify the leak location, remove, drain and dry the rad, clean the black away from the repair area, then smear "Right Stuff" sealant over the hole and immediate area. Mush a bit into the hole as well if you can. I've repaired cracked blocks, rads, gas tanks and other items with miracle material. Note this stuff is not silicone sealant or epoxy -- buy Right Stuff.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Saturday, January 14, 2017 - 10:57 pm:

Well she a original old radiator but never leaked a drop until now so the big question is it a waste to take old radiator of that age to the shop or buy new and what is the best deal for a car that maybe goes 600-700 miles in a year??? Tim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Saturday, January 14, 2017 - 11:30 pm:

If it cools, I say it's worth repairing. Assuming the leak is somewhere it can be repaired without destroying the appearance of the radiator. If you don't want to try to do it yourself, I doubt a simple fix will be much over $50. It wouldn't around here anyway.

Both of ours now have Berg's radiators on them. It's been a couple or three years, but it seems like they were in the $850 range. I've never heard a bad thing said about Berg's. They would certainly be my recommendation if you choose to replace.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Saturday, January 14, 2017 - 11:58 pm:

It just has a small leak in a one of the sealed and it's a drip. I had old A model sedan radiator and it had about the same it was billed out and soldered up and it's been good for years. I don't take it hundreds of miles from the house but drive it 600-800 miles a year. I have just heard on the forum so many people say they are to old to fix. Thanks Tim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Saturday, January 14, 2017 - 11:59 pm:

If you do let a local radiator shop try to fix it, make it VERY VERY VERY clear to them they are NOT to pressure test it. I've heard of shops being told that, then going ahead and wrecking a radiator anyway.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Sunday, January 15, 2017 - 12:00 am:

I have a bergs in my other T and it's great. Tim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Sunday, January 15, 2017 - 12:04 am:

"Radiator opinions please"

Personally, I think they are a great idea. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By gene french on Sunday, January 15, 2017 - 12:23 am:

Tim:
I would add a bit to Chris's recommendations regarding a RTV type sealer ...in addition to the cleaning process I have used a small shop vacuum to apply suction to the radiator or MOTOR BLOCK to help "suck" the sealer into the crack or pin hole ...I light vacuum on a radiator since this is essentially the same effect as pressure ...on a motor block I will use my large 5hp. shop vacuum ...always an optimist...gene french

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Sunday, January 15, 2017 - 12:32 am:

If you want a new radiator which has the filler in the right spot, has threads in the filler neck which will let you screw the cap on, and which is guaranteed not to leak, it has to be a Berg's.

Their backup service is exemplary.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Sunday, January 15, 2017 - 01:30 am:

Be very wary of sending it to a shop. They REALLY like to pressure test EVERYTHING.
If it's a small leak, Chris' idea works, or if you know someone who is a good solderer, it could be done that way too (more authentic) Considering your driving habits, I would try to fix the radiator.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Whelihan Danbury, WI on Sunday, January 15, 2017 - 06:52 am:

Lots depends on where the leak is at. If it is buried in the core, it can be an absolute pain for the novice to fix. I would try to flush it with vinegar or something similar to see if anything else starts to leak. If all is good, find the oldest established radiator shop around. With the cost of new aluminum radiators dropping, many shops don't fix things...they just buy new and replace. If you believe it is repairable, spend a few bucks and fix it. Will it be good forever? Probably not. But way it gives you time to save up for new one.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By keith g barrier Savannah Tn. on Sunday, January 15, 2017 - 12:18 pm:

There are some good radiator and gas tank epoxies out there that offer a cheap and reliable fix. KGB

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Sunday, January 15, 2017 - 01:27 pm:

JB Weld has worked on radiators for me when I was desperate and no radiator shop was open. Usually fixes it for a good long time if you get the area spotlessly clean and shiny first.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Sunday, January 15, 2017 - 02:59 pm:

If you plan to keep your T a new radiator will be the answer. If it still cools try to fix it a couple of times if need be. But remember its almost a 100 years old and wont last forever.

You can go to swap meets and buy some 'decent looking originals' for a 100.00 or so.
Been there and done that. It was a waste of money. Looking good doesn't cool. I bought a new Bergs and was through with working on radiators.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard E Moore Jr. Pickwick lake Tenn. on Sunday, January 15, 2017 - 06:47 pm:

Good job Gene and Kieth. I repaired a leak at the felt hogs head with rtv and a vacuumed cleaner. Worked a long time.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Sunday, January 15, 2017 - 07:45 pm:

Steve is right!!! Dont let the shop pressure test it!!! Fix it yourself if possible. Experience speeking. By the way I have heard nothing from the radiator shop on mine.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron in Central Massachusetts on Monday, January 16, 2017 - 06:30 pm:

Bergs, Bergs, Bergs. Have 4 of them and just dropped the order for my 5th.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Tuesday, January 17, 2017 - 10:48 am:

Has anyone mentioned AlumaSeal?

http://www.acehardware.com/product/index.jsp?productId=1451525&KPID=1253347&cid= CAPLA:G:Shopping_-_Catch_All_-_New&pla=pla_1253347&k_clickid=08966e68-74a0-449d- 8ea9-d25dd145a392

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration