Looked at an 18 T roadster today need some thoughts

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Looked at an 18 T roadster today need some thoughts
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By bob middleton on Sunday, January 15, 2017 - 01:39 am:

Car was restored 30+ years ago say since.
Tins ok but not perfect
Tire still new car was never driven
Uphostery and top are there but needs work
Paint fare
Body rewooded
New brass works radiator
Would paid close to to asking price but wheels on the cars are shot 3 of the 4 wheels are shot good for rolling at best
Motor trans rear and such give signs of properlying done right and correct
I know the wheels can be had and I'm sure a good going over this car be decent driver as it sits
Sorry don't have a picture
And I dealt with model T's for 20+ years so
Like to ask what folks think is a fare market offering

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By bob middleton on Sunday, January 15, 2017 - 01:49 am:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank van Ekeren (Australia) on Sunday, January 15, 2017 - 02:16 am:

Well Bob, all I can tell you is that I'm learning the hard way on paying to much for a so called "restored" cars. I pay with the consideration of going through it all again to have my own piece of mind that it's right from now on.
Just pulled one down that had 2 A4 pages of new parts listed in the engine rebuild, mmm! questioned myself on no magneto ring mentioned, well sure enough it's in there with no insulation left on it and 1/8" gap, the pistons in backwards and brass shimming sheet wrapped around the cam bearings, the list is only growing.
So price it accordingly knowing what work is ahead for you, you know the diff will bug you until you pull it down to see if it has brass thrusts, new seals, uni joint etc and list just keeps growing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Sunday, January 15, 2017 - 02:28 am:

Bob,I would be leary about the workmanship. The panelwork in that cowl is not up to scratch. The seat cushion upholstery is wrong and installed crookedly, the left front fender needs re-working to the correct profile, and that's only from the photo. I'm with Frank. Treat it like you would have to do it all again, and anything that is well done will be a bonus.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James G Fisher III Peachtree City, GA on Sunday, January 15, 2017 - 08:20 am:

If you get her make sure and ask for the poster on the wall. It will make all the time your going to have to work on her more enjoyable:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By bob middleton on Sunday, January 15, 2017 - 08:32 am:

Thanks guys yeah I have added it up
Priced each major component
Searching ebay hemmings and our own for sales section
I've learned that lesson as well and yes I also had rear axle thrust Plate fail at speed.
Im guessing 5 to 6500 is my ballpark turn it into a driver for another 2k with out pitfalls
Got email this morning the owner found the title
And it's close by30 miles so that's with something
Most T's I've bought are basket cases

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Sunday, January 15, 2017 - 09:27 am:

I'm with Frank and Allan. I've bought some T's which "just needed to be finished up", but I have always had to take them back to the bare frame and do a complete re-do on everything. Price it accordingly.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Hylen- Central Minnesota on Sunday, January 15, 2017 - 09:41 am:

I always assume the the engine will need to be rebuilt, even when the seller claims that it has already been done. There's a pretty short list of people that actually do a thorough job, compared to the long list of amateurs who think a set of rings and a gasket kit makes a motor "completely rebuilt."

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Sunday, January 15, 2017 - 10:18 am:

Try not to jump too quickly Bob. Depending on your interpretation of "safe/my car the way I want it" you can get in pretty deep. (as you probably know) Keep the plusses to yourself and list the defects. try to get him down to your lower end. $65 is a top premium price as it sits in my book. Your into the hobby and you know what has to be done. Do a compression test. It'll tell you plenty and might add some ammo to your $ arguments.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Hatch on Sunday, January 15, 2017 - 11:12 am:

Does the poster on the wall come with it? Dan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Trent Boggess on Sunday, January 15, 2017 - 12:23 pm:

On the other hand, as a general rule, a car near by is worth $500 more than one two or more states away.

Respectfully submitted,

Trent Boggess

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Sunday, January 15, 2017 - 01:35 pm:

Dan, the poster is what I noticed even before the car! Sure don't like the looks of the cowl metal and of course it'll have to be painted black! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Sunday, January 15, 2017 - 02:44 pm:

That car will bring at least 5000.00 at Chickasha.
The new radiator is a 900.00 plus item. Thats one main thing you wont have to buy. Evidently the owner was trying to do a good job on the car at least. That's my opinion.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By bob middleton on Sunday, January 15, 2017 - 09:45 pm:

Went back over this morning
Second look found alot of repairs to the body
But didn't see any filler and is very solid
Car has clear title.
So looks like she ending up in my barn for my next prodject

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By bob middleton on Sunday, January 15, 2017 - 10:52 pm:

Well got a couple irrational calls from family members so I walked away

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Barrett in Auburn Ca. on Sunday, January 15, 2017 - 11:23 pm:

Can we get a better shot of the picture on the wall?
Keep the faith, Bob. The right deal is waiting for you.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Monday, January 16, 2017 - 12:38 am:

Calls from the owner's family or from your family?
Can we ask where the price was headed?
Front of the body looks a bit low to me--bent frame or poorly done cowl wood?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wes Nelson ........Bucyrus, MO on Monday, January 16, 2017 - 08:37 am:

Here's the CL ad.

https://reno.craigslist.org/atq/5951007465.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Monday, January 16, 2017 - 07:40 pm:

Bob, the Craig's list add shows much more will need to be done. Even the new radiator has been bodged up. Wrong core, wrong filler neck.
It's definitely a start again job to me.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By bob middleton on Monday, January 16, 2017 - 10:36 pm:

Erik
Yep going get in touch with Daniel on his 22
On the for sales here not in any hurry just was in my backyard
Know of two other T's in the area
That are for sale but I need save little more
You know me I always bounce back at least the guy who bought my speedster will or should be ready for touring season.
David price was in the $5700 range.
Yes there was a few issues wheels were shot and bodywood although sound and solid was amiturely done
The calls was the owners family to me
It's ok I'm wasn't scared to take on the prodject
My problem is looking at cars far away leaves me that extra $$$ have it shipped or renting a truck and trailer

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells, Hamilton Ontario on Wednesday, January 18, 2017 - 07:58 pm:

Please move the ironing board. I'd hate to see it fall on the car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Wednesday, January 18, 2017 - 08:30 pm:

Good project. Tim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Wednesday, January 18, 2017 - 08:32 pm:

I have paid to much for several of the best looking A s and Ts and felt like I got my money's worth on the ones of lesser cost. I assume my expectations were less. My last to was cheap and runs great with very few repairs but still needs more but hit the key and take off. Tim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By bob middleton on Wednesday, January 18, 2017 - 08:57 pm:

Well long time board readers know
I had regrets but had little choice part with my speedster last year due to a divorce
And need a T prodject to work on and enjoy
Can't just sit in the barn drinking beer

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Thursday, January 19, 2017 - 05:35 am:

Bob, I think you did well to walk away. Interesting, Weed, huh? The car looks faintly familiar, wonder if I knew the Dad?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Thursday, January 19, 2017 - 05:38 am:

Also, the lumber mill in Weed didn't cut oak! Strange. . . .

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Codman on Thursday, January 19, 2017 - 07:25 pm:

30 year old tires = junk. It will need all new rubber.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Friday, January 20, 2017 - 02:36 am:

That rotten spoke on the left rear wheel doesn't bode well either!

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration