Wide body roadster

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Wide body roadster
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Sunday, January 15, 2017 - 02:19 am:

My Duncan and Fraser coachbuilt roadster is as good as finished. There are some bolts to cut to length and some paintwork to correct, but otherwise I am ready to enjoy the drive. I hope you like it.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Constantine on Sunday, January 15, 2017 - 02:38 am:

Wow, well done! Aussie Ts make the North American product look so mundane. 9 out of 10 from me (I would have gone with black for the toolbox) :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Sunday, January 15, 2017 - 02:57 am:

Constantine, can I have another half point? The toolbox on these cars doubles as the battery box, the battery being too difficult to access through the turtle deck. As such they were painted body colour.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Schreiber- Santa Isabel Ecuador on Sunday, January 15, 2017 - 07:49 am:

Looks fantastic Allan. I see much driving enjoyment in your future :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James G Fisher III Peachtree City, GA on Sunday, January 15, 2017 - 08:15 am:

That's a beautiful car. Well done.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Jefferson, Ohio on Sunday, January 15, 2017 - 08:19 am:

That is a great looking car. I bet every time you look at it you get a big smile on your face. What was the production year?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Sunday, January 15, 2017 - 08:38 am:

Lovely car Allan. You do some fine work.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Gumbinger, Kenosha, WI on Sunday, January 15, 2017 - 08:56 am:

NICE!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Sunday, January 15, 2017 - 09:19 am:

It looks like a "10" to me! Beautiful car, Allan. :-) Those Aussie bodies are so stylish.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Sunday, January 15, 2017 - 09:31 am:

Very nice car and beautiful work Alan! I have a question about the tool box. Did it come with the car?
That seems to be a common style. I guess they were used in Australia/New Zealand and available in that part of the world.

I have one just like yours in size and looks. Just thought I would ask.

Good Job!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Sunday, January 15, 2017 - 06:30 pm:

Thanks for the encouragement fellows. I have an old engine meeting to attend this weekend, so I can blow a few more cobwebs out.
John, the tool/battery box has its own story. The original was missing from the car. I had first dibs one one on the forum classifieds, but the postage rates more than doubled the cost, and then the exchange rate added another 30%.
I had an original toolbox with an excellent lid which was dent free. However, the sides and bottom were rusted out and had been crudely repaired/replaced. I had a sheet metal shop fold and roll a new side panel and at the same time increased the height to accommodate the battery. All that remained for me to do was cut/fold the corners and weld it at the join in the back.
The extra room lets me stow a tool roll, a T jack, square tin of spares, a coil or two and some cleaning rags.
The little brass padlock is stamped "C of A electoral". Presumably it was once used to lock ballot boxes after an election. It is in as new condition.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Monday, January 16, 2017 - 02:37 am:

Dennis, it is 1925 model, the latest D&F car we know of. D&F were Ford agents for South Australia and made their own bodies on the Canadian imported chassis. Their factory burned down in 1923. Ford selected them to build the standard bodies for cars pending the startup of the Ford factory in 1926. They were producing these in 1925. We know of these as Dalgety Fords, the assembly being done in the old Dalgety woolstore in Geelong.

I know of two others like mine, all 1925's. My theory is D&F had a few chassis left over from their agency, and to get rid of them they built some of their special roadsters so as not to be in competition with Ford for sales of standard cars.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By gary hammond on Monday, January 16, 2017 - 05:44 am:

Allan what a fine finish to an involved project!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Wednesday, January 18, 2017 - 01:06 am:

Beautiful! I, too, would give it a 10.
I have mostly been off the forum for two weeks due to an AT&T failure leaving us without regular access. I am sure glad I didn't miss this thread completely, and look forward to seeing more photos of this wonderful car from time to time!
Drive carefully, and do enjoy! W2

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration