Steering wheel Size

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Steering wheel Size
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Doug Wilson - Omaha NE on Sunday, January 15, 2017 - 07:57 am:

I have a 21 touring. When I assembled it from a pile of parts, I had the choice of 2 steering wheels. I didn't pay much attention to them at the time, I just used the one with the best rim on it. Now I want to make myself a wood rim, either Maple or Walnut. I dug out the second wheel to use as a pattern, and it did not seem correct to me. When I compared the rim I used on the car, it is a 16" wheel,and the one I used in the car was a 17" wheel. I would assume the 17" wheel is the correct wheel for a 21, is it? What years used the 16" rim? I knew there were different sized wheels, but never gave it any thought until now,

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George Mills_Indian Rocks, FL on Sunday, January 15, 2017 - 08:38 am:

The 16" is correct for a 1921

The 17" is generally attributed to the 'improved cars' yet possibly came with the 5::1 steering change in the column gears.

Since you are going to a wood wheel anyway and not going for purity, why not go with the 17" wheel size (if your belly fits...seriously...this IS a restriction for many of us...grin) It would make your steering some 3% easier.

(Message edited by george_nj on January 15, 2017)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Frost on Sunday, January 15, 2017 - 10:11 am:

PM sent.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration