Way OT for those of you that need a project,,,

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Way OT for those of you that need a project,,,
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wes Nelson ........Bucyrus, MO on Sunday, January 15, 2017 - 08:26 am:

Saw this on ebay, thought to myself my projects pale by comparison...

pahttp://www.ebay.com/itm/1955-M47-Patton-Medium-Battle-Tank-w-Spare-Parts-Uncut-B ody-Demilled-RARE-/162349141735?forcerrptr=true&hash=item25ccc34ee7:g:cVoAAOSwa~ BYcGBm&item=162349141735le

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Sunday, January 15, 2017 - 08:32 am:

Buy that and you will have a permanent DOG HOUSE....Just sayin!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Philip thompson on Sunday, January 15, 2017 - 08:40 am:

That thing would be fun to drive in the parade of power.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Sunday, January 15, 2017 - 08:44 am:

Just think, once it's restored what a valuable vehicle it would be in today's traffic. You'd probably never need to actually shoot. When somebody is tailgating you just have the wife run the turret around and point the cannon at him. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Sunday, January 15, 2017 - 08:58 am:

What do you mean, " No warranty "!!! ?
Sheesh, I wonder what they did to demill it? I know there used to be a Sherman tank in a local park when i was a kid. I got so mad cause I couldn't open the hatch,it was welded shut!

How in the sam heck would you ever get that thing loaded on a truck to bring it home?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Sunday, January 15, 2017 - 09:38 am:

I would love to leave it as is and use it as yard art.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Sunday, January 15, 2017 - 09:44 am:

I emailed that link to a couple friends and our discussion relates to just how much would it cost to fix it? I am willing to bet a million dollars would barely get you started on it.
Maby Burger can give us a perspective on it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Eckensviller - Thunder Bay, ON on Sunday, January 15, 2017 - 09:50 am:

Wikipedia lists Iran as a current operator of the M47. I bet customs would love to see boxes of spare parts being shipped to the new owner from those guys.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Sunday, January 15, 2017 - 11:38 am:

OY! That is Big and Heavy.

It calls to mind a statement made to me by a now long deceased antique car friend. Bob was helping me move some heavy things. I don't now recall what they were and it doesn't really matter, antique car stuff. Lots of grunting, groaning, and perspiring. At some point Bob stops, looks at me and declares: "If you ever start collecting locomotives I won't know you".

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Sunday, January 15, 2017 - 11:45 am:

Link is no longer valid

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Sunday, January 15, 2017 - 12:07 pm:

Lets see,A final drive is off so there must have been a problem? I don't know about the parts but i would be scared to death to offer 10,000.!!I think it was 1965 in Hornfeles,Germany we got in the mud and threw a track off the M-88!! Once i partially threw a track off the HD-21 dozer i had not fun! Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wes Nelson ........Bucyrus, MO on Sunday, January 15, 2017 - 12:13 pm:

Jim, Yes it is Jim.

Mack, Tanks are usually moved by flatbed trucks. Bulldozers are about 40 tons, tanks aren't that different. I think people overlook the fact that most things man made are not that permanent. Think houses, bridges, oil platforms, ships, locomotives, all man made not rooted.

Working on that thing would require some really heavy lift tools, crane, BF hammers, cribbing, some kind of track machine to push it around..
Something else you need a passport.. I don't think the local Napa is going to help.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Sunday, January 15, 2017 - 12:17 pm:

It still shows up on my watch list Jim, but it may have sold locally or something. Folks into that stuff watch it careful I am sure and probably snapped it up. You could buy a nice house for what that thing cost. And God only knows what is missing that you can't see.

Jim, that might be your next hauling job! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Sunday, January 15, 2017 - 01:39 pm:

What the heck good is it to buy a tank that doesn't shoot? How ya gonna get rid of the terrorists running the streets? Not worth $155, let alone $155K!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Sunday, January 15, 2017 - 03:50 pm:

Oh no, mustn't do that to said terrorists. They might be offended.
Duane rolls his eyes.
Nice tank.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marv Konrad (Green Bay Area) on Sunday, January 15, 2017 - 03:55 pm:

Wouldn't it be nice for you and your wife to EACH have one??? :-) :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Monday, January 16, 2017 - 12:45 am:

A few decades ago the Portola Railroad museum had some military flat cars and one of the directors thought it would be neat to have something on them. He was a vet and had some connections. The Military sent him to tank driving school and donated two tanks (Korean vintage?? I dunno tanks!) to the museum. The both had less than 1,000 hours on them since engine rebuilds. Somehow they were sent to the museum fully equipped and the museum plugged the barrels. For a while we called the museum the best protected museum around. It's really crowded in one of them!
The museum almost rented them for a movie, but the agreement prevented that--and they had some offers to buy them for quite a bit of $$, but that too was not legal to do. The were eventually sent away, I forget if it was to a military museum or back to the military.
Turned out they were really too big for the flat cars we had!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Monday, January 16, 2017 - 08:31 am:

:-) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BS-Vhi1SDrI

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chadwick Azevedo on Monday, January 16, 2017 - 09:20 am:

Now I wonder how illegal it would be to convert it to a black powder breech block cannon? Using a breech block classifies it as a black powder muzzle loader (not a firearm). I know of no size restriction, there is a guy here that makes 6 pounders. Although Im sure various states and municipalities have regulations, but regarding black powder? Of course I can only imangine the smoke inside.

Just thoughts for fun

F.Y.I. A breech block is a block loaded with powder and ball that can then be inserted into a special cannon being wedged into place and then fired. Once fired it is removed and another breech block inserted. Unlike a shell the walls of the breech block compose the walls of the gun making a breech block very heavy.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Howard D. Dennis Byron, Georgia on Monday, January 16, 2017 - 10:38 am:

Having spent the better part of a year shoving rounds into a 105MM in Viet Nam I can tell you modern cannons have breechblocks as well, they just slide in behind the round and have the firing pin and trigger mechanism in them and were extremely heavy when removed during cleaning!

Howard Dennis

Semper Fi

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chadwick Azevedo on Monday, January 16, 2017 - 10:50 am:

Same word different purpose. The breech block I am refering to includes the entire breech. The barrel is nothing more than to assist in a strait aimed shot.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Monday, January 16, 2017 - 10:52 am:

Marv, nice idea in a way, but I don't think so. My wife's a much better shot than I am!! :-)

Duey...I hear ya man!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Monday, January 16, 2017 - 03:02 pm:

I guess before long there will be a "Pimp my Tank" since there is a video game being advertised on tv about tanks.
I guess paint it lavender and remove that awful barrel that makes it look so mean.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration