"Live By Night" Movie - Some Model T Content

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: "Live By Night" Movie - Some Model T Content
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Sunday, January 15, 2017 - 05:55 pm:

So, have any of you seen this movie? Some of our friends here on the forum had their car or truck in the production. It has not arrived in my town yet.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harris, Huntington Beach California on Sunday, January 15, 2017 - 06:05 pm:

We're going to see it in A few minutes. I worked on one scene at Universal Studios where they blow up a butcher shop. I'll report back if I made the final cut :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gene Carrothers Huntington Beach on Sunday, January 15, 2017 - 06:16 pm:

I saw the movie last night and it had quite a few Model T scenes with some of our local club members cars. So far the movie reviews haven't been the greatest but lots of car shots and some cool explosions and chases.

Maybe I missed it but I didn't see the REO Speed Wagon scene

I had my car there one day and got driver pay but nothing on film.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Sunday, January 15, 2017 - 07:17 pm:

We're too cheap to go to the theater. It'll be on TV in about 6-8 mos., we'll put it on the DVD, then watch it sans commercials, thanks to the miracle of fast forward!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Sunday, January 15, 2017 - 07:42 pm:

THAT movie! Lots of nice period machinery. I wanna see it and mamma might like it. Hmmm, or wait for the DVD...
Thank goodness for CGI, they don't have to actually wreck those cars and such.
"Are you cruel enough?" she asks in the trailer.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By JOHN BEVARDOS on Sunday, January 15, 2017 - 07:49 pm:

Bill, let me know if we both made it!!

John

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Dufault on Sunday, January 15, 2017 - 07:52 pm:

Warren H -

Is that in Boston at about :08 ???

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CtFZcAuH-qI

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Trent Boggess on Sunday, January 15, 2017 - 07:56 pm:

I just returned from seeing the movie this evening. I had three cars used, but the action scenes move so fast it is hard to see the cars.

If you follow this link you can see the cars used a bit better, but most of the these scenes did not make it into the final cut.

http://www.imdb.com/video/imdb/vi2738075161?ref_=ttvi_vi_imdb_22

Respectfully submitted,

Trent Boggess

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Sunday, January 15, 2017 - 08:57 pm:

I saw it last night and enjoyed it. as Trent says, the action scenes are too fast for a good look at the cars, but as a movie I found it very entertaining. There are some fine performances in the supporting roles, and Zoe Saldana, besides being hot, is a fine actress. It's basically a traditional gangster shoot-em-up, and being a gangster film includes some swell cars. Toward the end you do get a good look at a gorgeous Packard phaeton.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Trent Boggess on Sunday, January 15, 2017 - 09:36 pm:

Here are three photos that I took during the filming of Live by Night on November 21, 2015. All three were taken at the time the bank robbery scene in Lawrence was being filmed. The first shot shows the accident as the get a way car collides with another car as they are leaving the bank.

accident1

The second picture was taken as they were setting up the accident scene in which the get away car knocks the front bumper off the the car it collides with as it is making a left hand turn leaving the bank. My 1925 Roadster is in the foreground.

accident2

Finally, this photo was between filming sciences as the get away car is going down the street after leaving the bank. You can see my 1924 TT truck on the left hand side of the street. It appears in this photo as if it's lights are on.

ttruck

In the B roll link in my previous post the get away car makes another left hand turn on to a street directly in front of the truck. For the movie, a canvas cover was made and installed in over the truck's bed so it could be used as a "blocker vehicle ", which means the film crew would park it in front of something they didn't want to be seen in the movie, like an air conditioner.

Respectfully submitted,

Trent Boggess

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Gumbinger, Kenosha, WI on Sunday, January 15, 2017 - 10:01 pm:

Nice pictures, Trent. We'll have to see this movie.

Best wishes,

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harris, Huntington Beach California on Sunday, January 15, 2017 - 10:31 pm:

Just got back from seeing the film. I'm in it in the first few minutes. The scene goes by so fast that all you see is the white wall tires of the '24 Studebaker just before the shop blows up!
I did see John's Runabout, Dean's Model A and Pete's Reo Speedwagon. Good film :-)

s

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Monday, January 16, 2017 - 12:08 am:

So no cars were actually damaged in the "wreck" scene?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, January 16, 2017 - 01:17 am:

There are some serious wrecks, including a rollover and a major car fire. I assume dummies were used for those.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gene Carrothers Huntington Beach on Monday, January 16, 2017 - 01:33 pm:

The Magic of the Movies!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Monday, January 16, 2017 - 01:54 pm:

It is always my hope that movies with old cars will create interest in the hobby. "Bonnie and Clyde" came along at a good time for many folks. We saw it for the first time at the "Drive In" in our Model A Tudor. Leaving the movie with the headlights on got lots of looks from people waiting to leave. Most of them gave us the Right-of-way.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Jefferson, Ohio on Monday, January 16, 2017 - 01:59 pm:

They gave you the right of way because they just saw a movie where people in a Model A Ford would shoot anything in there way with a shotgun! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marv Konrad (Green Bay Area) on Monday, January 16, 2017 - 02:23 pm:

'Box Office Reviews' of the past weekend's movies haven't been favorable... I still want to see the cars!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Monday, January 16, 2017 - 02:48 pm:

Dennis, I did build a "Dummy" Thompson shortly thereafter. Some chunks of hardwood a pipe and coffee can. That was a time when we didn't worry about being shot as a terrorist. They were simpler times.

Yes, I too would go just to see the cars.

Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gene Carrothers Huntington Beach on Monday, January 16, 2017 - 03:20 pm:

I think you might have to register that now but then your not in Califunny

Looks really Cool! What a nice job

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warren Henderson, Dunbarton, NH on Tuesday, January 17, 2017 - 05:01 pm:

Dave Dufault, that was the bank robbery scene at 00:08 and it was shot in Lawrence, Mass. on Command Street, a bock up from Lawrence City Hall going towards Jackson Street.

Trent Boggess, NO pictures, no pictures, remember that's what everyone was yelling the first couple of days. I had a great time while making the movie and meeting a lot of new Model t & a friends. I think the the touring in the bank scene is Vinny & Pat Greco's. I also think there is a split second view of my '26 coupe with Chris the stunt driver at the very end when turning down Command Street.

My wife Pat and I saw the movie last Friday, it has been a long time since we have been to the movies and although I enjoyed watching the the Model T scenes, I didn't care for the language. A number of scenes that we worked on were not in the final cut, when I saw the movie.

Happy motoring,

Warren

Seabiscuit in Copley Square
Seabiscuit in Copley Square
the bridge
the bridge

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Lang on Tuesday, January 17, 2017 - 07:52 pm:

The Touring, which the get-a-way car looks like it is about to run into, is Jim Lang's

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Trent Boggess on Tuesday, January 17, 2017 - 08:46 pm:

Yeah, well I missed most of the days they were filming so I never heard the "No Pictures" order. And you will note that the photos I took when I was there did not appear online until after the the movie had been released. At this point, my photos and commentary can be viewed as free publicity, that may encourage others to go see the movie.

Warren, the picture of your coupe at Copley Plaza also shows a nice view of my 1925 Roadster. Thanks.

I spent today out hunting and gathering with a friend. While on the drive we heard a movie critics comparison of "Live by Night" with Ben Affleck to "Manchester by the Sea", which stars Ben's brother Casey Affleck, on the radio. The critics liked the later movie better than the former, although they thought the car chase scenes at the beginning of "Live" were pretty good. I have seen both movies, I see the critics point about Casey's role in "Manchester" being more challenging and requiring greater acting skill than Ben's role in "Live", but my date and I both agreed that we enjoyed seeing "Live", despite it's high level of violence (and language) more than we did "Manchester".

Would I recommend going to see "Live by Night"? Yes, it is an interesting movie, and most movie theaters here in the north are heated. Just keep in mind that it should be rated "R" for violence, language and sexual content. It is probably not something you want to take children under the age of 15 to see.

Respectfully submitted,

Trent Boggess

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warren Henderson, Dunbarton, NH on Wednesday, January 18, 2017 - 08:22 am:

Trent, the photo of Seabiscuit and your '25 Roadster in Copley Plaza was taken by a Boston Globe photographer and I copied of their web site. NO pictures, is like an inside joke, that is what they kept saying to all of us the first 2 days.

Happy motoring,

Warren

Seabiscuit getting ready for his movie debut
Seabiscuit getting ready for his movie debut

Stunt driver Chris in Seabiscuit
Stunt driver Chris in Seabiscuit

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron in Central Massachusetts on Wednesday, January 18, 2017 - 09:01 am:

Saw it Sunday evening with my son and liked it. My question to all who participated: how did they screen cars? Opening year was supposed to be 1927 (something that was referenced a couple of times), but there were numerous Model As in all those scenes (the police cars in the chase scene were As - and there are 3 As in the photos Trent posted above).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warren Henderson, Dunbarton, NH on Wednesday, January 18, 2017 - 10:11 am:

My guess is that they thought that the general audience would not know the difference between a Model T & a Model A, as there were almost as many As as Ts. All the police cars were Model As, they have small block Chevy V8s and air suspension.

Trent, it would be nice to have a chance to talk with you about our experience being on location. Maybe we could meet at one of the Central New Hampshire Model T Ford Club meetings. It would be fun to compare notes on what it was like working on the movie. The next meeting is on Monday February 6th, at the Hooksett Public Library, 31 Mount St Mary's Way, Hooksett, NH 03106 starting at 7:30pm.

Happy motoring,

Warren

working at night, just off Copley Plaza
working at night, just off Copley Plaza

Vinny & Pat's touring on Command Street, Lawrence, Mass.
Vinny & Pat's touring on Command Street, Lawrence, Mass.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Trent Boggess on Wednesday, January 18, 2017 - 02:41 pm:

Warren,

In the picture of Sea Biscuit with the stunt driver, in the background you can see the front end of my 1925 T Truck.

The third car that I provided for the movie was my 1926 Coupe. It is a darker shade of green than Sea Biscuit, but I have not seen it in any of the stills or the movie clips.

livebynight

Respectfully submitted,

Trent Boggess

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warren Henderson, Dunbarton, NH on Wednesday, January 18, 2017 - 04:29 pm:

Yes Trent, I remember seeing your coupe, parked on Essex Street the last Sunday we were working.

Happy motoring,

Warren

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration