FJ - OT - Circus Won't Be Back In Town

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: FJ - OT - Circus Won't Be Back In Town
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Sunday, January 15, 2017 - 07:28 pm:

End of an era .....

Ringling Brothers is folding their tent for good after 146 years in May of this year.

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Thomas Mullin on Sunday, January 15, 2017 - 07:35 pm:

Can you still see a circus at the Circus Museum in Baraboo Wisconsin?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Sunday, January 15, 2017 - 09:09 pm:

Thomas,

I imagine that might be a possibility.

I tried to visit the Baraboo Circus Museum twice - both times it was closed because I was there in the off season.

The same parent company - Feld - does other Touring shows
like Disney On Ice & Disney Live.

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Robinson, Salty Bottom, AL on Sunday, January 15, 2017 - 09:55 pm:

Right before Christmas I had to go into Huntsville, AL to buy some motor oil. The RR tracks were blocked by some freight cars that were just parked and not moving.

From the distance I could see the writing on the cars. Little did I know this would be my last chance to see their train. I'm glad I got these pictures!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Sunday, January 15, 2017 - 10:20 pm:

One of the worst train wrecks involved a circus train.

In 1918 near Hammond, Indiana.

86 people died in less than a minute - then the train wreckage caught fire - the total death count was 127.

The area of the wreck is said to be haunted.

(5) days later the dead were buried mostly in unmarked or " male " - " female " graves because they could not be identified.

Woodlawn Cemetery in Forest Park, Illinois is their final resting place which is also said to be haunted.

I want to visit both places someday.

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Sunday, January 15, 2017 - 10:32 pm:

Tastes change and things fade into the past. Their claim is that the elephant ban cut tremendously into ticket sales. Who knows. Maybe it was the excuse they were waiting for. The Big Apple Circus, a one ring under the tent show, closed late last year also after a 20+ year run.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By brass car guy on Sunday, January 15, 2017 - 10:35 pm:

My great great grandmother was the cashier of Ringling Bros circus. She was a teenager and neighbor of John Ringling North in Baraboo Wisconsin. When they were headed out for their summer run, their regular cashier got sick. John Ringling North went next door to her house and asked her mother if she could go with the circus for their summer run. She spent a many years with the circus and ended up as the head cashier and paymaster.

When my father was a young boy and the circus came to Seattle he would take his pals down to the circus and ask for John Ringling North. When John saw my dad he would ask how many friends today, then he would issue full passes for my dad and his buds.

just sayin'

brasscarguy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Sunday, January 15, 2017 - 10:57 pm:

Howard,

That is amazing - what a small world we all live in.

I never would have thought Ringling Brothers would ever cease to operate in my lifetime.

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Monday, January 16, 2017 - 12:33 am:

When they eliminated the elephants, I wondered how much longer the show could go on. Kids today don't wait for the Circus to come to town, they're too busy doing video games, etc. Reality experiences are not important to them, when CGI can fake almost anything, real action isn't impressive to them.
Also, we are raising a second generation of kids who grew up watching cartoons and live action movies where animals are intelligent, communicate complicatedly and are very human-like. Many of them won't eat meat as they don't want to eat anything with a face on it. Some of my nieces are this way--nothing wrong with being vegetarian, just with how they've been motivated to be one.
Because of all this, circus attendance has been down, and the cost of facilities big enough to handle one has gone up (as I'm certain insurance for such activities). Thus endeth an era.
So how much longer will modern drivers (or even driver-less cars) allow us to drive our Model T or other early cars on public roads?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Monday, January 16, 2017 - 09:50 am:

I saw the news report last night and they had some A**&^%$ talking about how glad he was to see this and that after 14 decades the circus was finally forced to quit abusing and killing their animal performers......what can I say?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Monday, January 16, 2017 - 10:32 am:

Sad day indeed.I am wondering when the animals will band together and have Animals for the Ethical Treatment of Humans.
I wonder how many jobs were lost?
Do some research and you will see there was a long court battle and settlement involved in the closing as well.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Monday, January 16, 2017 - 11:56 am:

When our children were young we visited a circus. It was interesting to see how the people and the animals interacted. It was also interesting how many dangerous acts were performed. Between Zoo's, Wild Animal Parks, and Circuses we would not have known about any of those animals. City people only see domestic pets and wild rodents and birds.

Same thing has happened at Sea World. The Shamu Killer Whale show has been discontinued and the park has agreed to stop breeding Orcas. You can only see them swim around in a tank. They will need to stay there because they have spent their whole life in captivity and likely would not survive in the sea and it is questionable whether the wild Orcas would accept them in their pod.

Many years ago when our children were young we visited Sea World. We would not even know what an Orca or a Dolphin was had it not been for Sea World.

I have a suspicion that the animals in the circus had it better than any of them do in the wild.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert L. Rogers on Monday, January 16, 2017 - 12:47 pm:

I'm glad I took my kids to see the circus a few years ago!
In 1978 I watched Ringling Brothers walk their elephants up 15th Avenue to get them to the old Coliseum in Phoenix. Quite a memorable scene.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Monday, January 16, 2017 - 01:30 pm:

One more step in the sterilization of the world as we knew it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Corey Walker, Brownsboro TX on Monday, January 16, 2017 - 06:51 pm:

I went to the circus one time as a kid. I remember riding an elephant and being squashed by the woman in front of me. Wouldn't be the same without them. Only other thing I remember were motorcycle riders in a big metal sphere. No more Shamoo at Sea World pretty soon. Everybody better go to a rodeo before that goes away.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Monday, January 16, 2017 - 07:24 pm:

When was a kid, my Grandparents took us grandkids to a circus being held
a few towns over. My Mom was a docent at the Seattle Zoo when we were
growing up, and Widdo Bwudder and I had free run of the joint, getting in the
back doors to help the zookeepers and see the critters up close personal. So,
a circus was not as big of a deal for us as it might have been for other kids (?).

But this circus was special. The kind of cheapskate affair my old man would
have driven 100 extra miles to save 29 on. First of all, it was open air. Just
some bleachers in an open parking lot of some mall. The "exotic"animals
included things like "stripeless zebras" ! .... and there were "giant midgets !"
and "The Bearded Man" !

I was only about 10 at the time, but this was the funniest scam, or worst
circus ever put together. The family still laughs about it every holiday we
get together, almost 50 years later. I guess, for that, it WAS worth the price
of admission.

Where circuses are going today are to things like what Cirque d'Soleil does.
fantastical storytelling and acrobats, done in a way one might think they slipped
through the looking glass. The visual effects are amazing ! Really fun stuff to
go and see !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Monday, January 16, 2017 - 07:44 pm:

Robert,

Sting & The Police played Veteran's Memorial Coliseum around that time for the state fair - I was just starting to follow them ....

I remember going to Phoenix Suns games cause kids were free ...

Good old days

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chadwick Azevedo on Monday, January 16, 2017 - 08:28 pm:

Well why doesn't the govt just offer another bail out.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Aaron Griffey, Hayward Ca. on Monday, January 16, 2017 - 11:09 pm:

My grand mother used to tell about when they went to see the circus in our town, River Falls, Wis.
Before anybody got there the circus had been struck by lightnig and there were many bodies laying in a row on the grass. Seems like more than a dozen. She told me that about 70 years ago.
It was in a farm field at the edge of town
As I remember she said it was 1886.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Aaron Griffey, Hayward Ca. on Monday, January 16, 2017 - 11:10 pm:

My grand mother used to tell about when they went to see the circus in our town, River Falls, Wis.
Before anybody got there the circus had been struck by lightning and there were many bodies laying in a row on the grass. Seems like more than a dozen. She told me that about 70 years ago.
It was in a farm field at the edge of town
As I remember she said it was 1886.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Aaron Griffey, Hayward Ca. on Monday, January 16, 2017 - 11:41 pm:

I looked it up.

It was 4pm, June, 1893. Ringling Bros.
the tent was full of people when. Lighting struck li.
Seven were killed, all guests. Another 20 injured.
I think my grandmother was born in 1886, and was 6 when she saw the dead all laid out.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By gary hammond on Tuesday, January 17, 2017 - 04:22 am:

Nobody wants animal abuse, but the era has anti's ascribing human feelings to the animal kingdom. I really think a real activist would be in the front lines overseas, stopping the animal exploitation at it's source. Poaching for tusks is about to finish off the elephants in the wild. The poachers shoot the animal, chop the tusks off and are gone in a couple of minutes. It is so bad that park rangers have been allowed to kill poachers on sight. Unfortunately, with an insatiable Asian market for ivory, there will be no elephants soon....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chadwick Azevedo on Tuesday, January 17, 2017 - 08:49 am:

I get disapproval when a few cans make it into the garbage instead of the recycling. The same person headed up the NOAA sanctuary and before he retired said "no" to cleaning up a bunch of batteries and scrap that had been dumped on the ocean floor. We could have cleaned up the lead, copper, and bronze recycling it for free. At this point all recycling goes into the same can so I wonder how or even if the junk mail gets seperated from the plastic and aluminum. I supose it isn't as much about recycling as it is making ones self "feel good"

I find it as ironic as the people claiming cruelty driving their "clean" electric cars that are getting recharged from a coal plant.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Tuesday, January 17, 2017 - 09:26 am:

"...driving their 'clean' electric cars that are getting recharged from a coal plant."

Chad, I have commented on more than one occasion that the Chevy Volt should have been named the Chevy Lump because it is coal-powered.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chadwick Azevedo on Tuesday, January 17, 2017 - 10:24 am:

For every single "Volt" we have about a dozen "Teslas"

In fact some of the resturants even have specialized parking places with charging stations. Of course that makes these Teslas nuclear powered.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Tuesday, January 17, 2017 - 11:11 am:

I like to think the wind powers everything we use but i'm sure it's only part.It is nice being payed every 3 months though!Bud in Wheeler,Mi.Soon there will be a new circus to replace the old!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Tuesday, January 17, 2017 - 11:52 pm:

Let's not talk politics, Bud ! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Aaron Griffey, Hayward Ca. on Wednesday, January 18, 2017 - 12:05 am:

I live less than 10 miles from the Tesla factory.
I see about fifty Teslas for every Volt. Maybe more.
We are servicing a lot of hybrids lately.
Last week l did two. Both were Lexus or Toyota SUV types.
The gas engine drives the front, the batteries drive the rear wheels.
They are not recharged by coal, they get good mileage and they don't have to be plugged in. Seems like the way to go, if you can afford the extra initial cost.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Wednesday, January 18, 2017 - 03:07 pm:

Thanks Burger! I was trying to sneak that one by! Bud.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration