Ignition switch plate letering.

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Ignition switch plate letering.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charles Weisgerber- Vancouver WA. on Sunday, January 15, 2017 - 07:49 pm:

On the 1917-1925 T's was the lettering surrounding the ignition/lighting switch lever ever highlighted with a white paint from the factory? I've noticed many old examples that appear like they were.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Sunday, January 15, 2017 - 07:53 pm:

I don't think the black era cars were highlighted.

It could be done though.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Sunday, January 15, 2017 - 09:12 pm:

I have been fortunate to see a couple of NOS switch plates. The WERE white, well, dirty and faded but WHITE.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charles Weisgerber- Vancouver WA. on Sunday, January 15, 2017 - 11:50 pm:

Thanks Bill I wasn't sure. I've seem way too many old untouched examples that appeared to have white lettering under all that dirt and patina. I just had to ask the question.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Monday, January 16, 2017 - 10:36 am:

I did mine with a small artist brush. I could only do about two letters at a time. It took me a week, and I'm very pleased with the result.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Monday, January 16, 2017 - 12:47 pm:

Take some white enamel, brush it onto the plate, immediately wipe off the face with a thin cloth wrapped around a straight edge (Popsicle stick or ?) so you don't wipe the paint out of the recesses. Let dry, polish any paint left on the surface away and voila!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Monday, January 16, 2017 - 01:09 pm:

It is a tedious job as Larry says. I think a daub and wipe technique could be perfected with a slow drying enamel but haven't taken the time yet.

I think this group could put dozens of pictures together to suggest that painting the letters was a standard practice. Whether it was done every year or not is a question also. These are earlier switches and I believe this to be factory paint.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Monday, January 16, 2017 - 01:12 pm:

P. S. Nice work David.

Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Monday, January 16, 2017 - 04:11 pm:

Thanks Rich,
One other "trick" when refinishing these; After the primer has dried, take a dental tool, and using a magnifier (well. . . I have to!) clean the built-up primer out of the lettering recesses, then sand and prepare the primer for the top coat. This gives you a little more depth in letters than if they were filled with primer and top coat.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Wednesday, January 18, 2017 - 01:13 pm:

David, super job. I used Testors model airplane paint for mine. I pretty much use your method. I think it took me a week to do mine. BTW, I need a good steel switch plate for my new '17 like yours.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Cascisa - Poulsbo, Washington on Wednesday, January 18, 2017 - 01:17 pm:

Try this product.

http://www.markal.com/solid-paint-markers/lacquer-stik/

Be_Zero_Be

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Wednesday, January 18, 2017 - 02:21 pm:

Larry,
Hang on, when these storms are over, I might have one! If so, it's yours. They used the "plastic" switch box that late?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Wednesday, January 18, 2017 - 03:02 pm:

I have several, Larry - if David doesn't find any.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Wednesday, January 18, 2017 - 03:05 pm:

PS: I think I used "One Shot" lettering enamel--if not, then it was likely an old 15 bottle of Testor's Model Enamel (Yep, I still have some of those bottles with the price printed on the caps).
:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Wednesday, January 18, 2017 - 03:11 pm:

Larry, go for Steve's; I it will take me time to figure out just where I stored them!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Thomas - Centerville, Iowa on Wednesday, January 18, 2017 - 03:29 pm:

I used "White Out". You know, the stuff to white out letters on typewritten pages? It drys quick, and if a little slops over the edge, you just wipe it off quick.

It has lasted 10 years now.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration