24 T top issue

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: 24 T top issue
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By bob middleton on Sunday, January 15, 2017 - 09:59 pm:

OK buddies 24 touring has this broken top iron
Any advice ideas or help to repair or replacement it
Thanks in advance

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Sunday, January 15, 2017 - 10:08 pm:

Looks like there's plenty of good metal left there. I would have it welded.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Sunday, January 15, 2017 - 10:32 pm:

I have some of those. If you want to replace it give me a PM.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steven Thum on Sunday, January 15, 2017 - 11:38 pm:

I brazed mine when they broke like that. Did it twice.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Thomas on Monday, January 16, 2017 - 12:50 am:

I would make a sleeve that fits inside the tube, out of say, 16 gage sheet metal or a squished tube. Then "V" out the joint. Then weld using a MIG or a TIG and grind down the weld so it cannot be seen. The tube on the inside will keep it from cracking in the same spot.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By gary hammond on Monday, January 16, 2017 - 05:48 am:

+2 what Erik said....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Monday, January 16, 2017 - 09:08 am:

Steve Jelf is getting ready to have a similar repair done to one of the sockets on his 1915 roadster, perhaps he'll share the methodology and results when he gets his back. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, January 16, 2017 - 12:02 pm:

Yes, Bob's not the only one with this problem. My 1915 roadster also suffered a broken top socket. Here's The situation so far.

In this picture from December, the arrow shows the top end of the broken socket.

The socket was filled with some kind of plastic.

The break was just below the hardware rivets.

Thinking there might be nails holding the top bow in the socket, I removed the paint to take a look. There were no nails.

Getting the socket piece off the bow was mighty tough. It was really stuck tight. The final solution was to remove the hardware rivets, bolt on a piece of channel, and apply several hard whacks with a BFH. It didn't come off gradually, but suddenly popped loose.

The next step will be to remove the rivet holding the bottom part of the socket. Then the pieces will go to a friend who is a retired body man. I'll see if I can get some shots of how he does the repair.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By bob middleton on Monday, January 16, 2017 - 11:03 pm:

Jack sent JACK
Mr Jeff looks like a repair job using resin

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, January 16, 2017 - 11:06 pm:

Today's job was getting that stuff out of there with a drill and chisel.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Monday, January 16, 2017 - 11:51 pm:

I have used resin after I welded up a bow.If I think it might still be a bit weak,and I don;t have another one,resin will add a lot of strength. Steve must have really whacked the tree hard.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration