Coil box question

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Coil box question
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Cameron Smythe - Australia on Sunday, January 15, 2017 - 11:16 pm:

new hardwood coil box unsealed
what would be the best coating to put on the raw hardwood to seal it off from the elements and not electrical track?
cheers cam

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Verne Shirk on Monday, January 16, 2017 - 10:17 am:

Clear or black Glyptal, depending on your preference of color.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Monday, January 16, 2017 - 10:21 am:

Get a Fun Projects part.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David L Corman on Monday, January 16, 2017 - 10:52 am:

Linseed Oil

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Monday, January 16, 2017 - 10:55 am:

Larry I think the F.P. part is only for the steel box. I think Cameron is referencing a full-blown wood box for the earlier cars.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Monday, January 16, 2017 - 11:05 am:

Linseed oil is a poor choice unless it is a car that is not going to be used outdoors. Linseed oil sweats when it gets hot, then evaporates.

A good quality spar varnish polyurethane is long lasting and provides a beautiful finish that will provide UV protection to the stain.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Philip Berg on Monday, January 16, 2017 - 12:19 pm:

I used spar varnish on my repo box and it came out very nice.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By bob middleton on Monday, January 16, 2017 - 10:56 pm:

Spar varnish

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Cameron Smythe - Australia on Tuesday, January 17, 2017 - 05:18 am:

thanks gentlemen i now have a tin of spar varnish

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration