Circular reflector retainer springs from Mac's

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Circular reflector retainer springs from Mac's
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick in Florida on Monday, January 16, 2017 - 12:37 am:

I am working on the headlights on my '26 Coupe, replacing the worn out reflectors with Snyder's reproduction reflectors which are great. I purchased the circular reflector retainer springs from Mac's and found that when I tried to install them in the bucket, they were way too long for the hooks on each end to hook into eachother. About 2" too long. In order for them to fit properly, I had to remove about 1" from each end and make new hooks using needle nose pliers. Has anyone else had this problem with Mac's retainer springs and if so, why would Mac's make this spring 2" too long, requiring the customer to have to spend time making it fit properly and possibly ruining it if they cut off too much? Are the springs from Snyders and Lang's this way or do theirs fit properly without the customer having to customize them to fit? Jim Patrick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Sims--Reed City,Mich. on Monday, January 16, 2017 - 09:38 am:

Did you hood the little hooks into each other? The ends of these springs should over lap and hook over a kink in the wire. If this is confusing I can take a picture of one.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Monday, January 16, 2017 - 10:29 am:

I've seen those reproduction retainer springs, and don't like them compared to original Fords.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Monday, January 16, 2017 - 10:43 am:

You can make those pretty cheaply from 1/8" brazing rod or welding rod. Use a big 2 1/2 pound coffee can as a form, then cut to length.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration