Club meetings and Programs

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Club meetings and Programs
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Philip Lance on Monday, January 16, 2017 - 02:41 pm:

Greetings:

The Tin Lizzie's of ABQ's newly elected president has asked me to post a message in regards to obtaining feedback on what types of programs you have at your monthly meetings. Do you have safety talks or presentations? Technical demonstrations? or? Please share your ideas!

Thanks in advance!
Phil

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gene Carrothers Huntington Beach on Monday, January 16, 2017 - 03:28 pm:

Yup All of the above. One really cool meeting was when everyone brought in some kind of period Model T accessory. Turned out to be a very popular meeting.

I like the ones where someone talks about how they made a repair or rebuild of their car.

I not fond of watching the old movies with trains and things but of course some really like them.

If there are women attending then you might want to talk about knitting sometimes.

Our recent event was meeting at a club member shop to put the cars up on his hoist and do repairs or change the oil along with a tech inspection.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Monday, January 16, 2017 - 03:35 pm:

One of the Mopar clubs I used to belong to did a "name that part" contest, where folks would bring the most obscure OEM factory part they could think of, and the other members would try to guess what it was for. Prizes for correct guesses are optional.

We also used to do a "junk" auction as a fundraiser, where folks would donate a few parts they had no use for to the club and the parts would be auctioned off to the other members at cheap prices. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Gumbinger, Kenosha, WI on Monday, January 16, 2017 - 04:37 pm:

Our club is doing a seminar this weekend on how to rebuild a Holley NH carb and also how to cure the "Death Wobble" on a Model T. In the past we've done a spring safety inspection for all members who want to have it done on their car. A hoist helps for that of course. We've also had seminars on valve grinding and adjusting, rear end disassembly and inspection including the importance of bronze thrust washers, pouring babbitt, polishing brass, demonstrated by a person with show quality brass T's, demonstrating how a "Strobospark" tester works, rebuilding coils, adjusting coils, how to mount tires on a split rim using the rim spreader tool, demonstrating how to use the Stevens tool to re-bush the T front axle using replacement bushings from Dan Hatch, and many other similar topics.

Many of these topics are for the newer members of our club or those who have just bought their first T, but these seminars are always well attended. There is no charge for them and refreshments are served. This is a great way to spend a Saturday afternoon in the winter.

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Jefferson, Ohio on Monday, January 16, 2017 - 06:36 pm:

What's great about the Model T meetings is that everyone is so old that they forget what was discussed at the last meeting so you can have the same topic for three months in a row and no one would know!
I like the meetings with the brass era dancing girls or is it the dancing girls on the brass pole...oh darn I can't remember.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Schmidt ..... Seattle on Monday, January 16, 2017 - 06:55 pm:

The Puget Sound chapter holds a monthly meeting at a restaurant which has a meeting room with big screen TV. The restaurant has wifi, so I can show videos that I post on my YouTube channel of our Model T events or any old video related to the Model T.
We also have prizes every month via a drawing.
Usually a member will relate a repair or safety issue each month. We have several events including one member who has a farm and we are able to play games such as chasing a ball or compete to see who can balance their car on a teeter totter. We also give driving lessons.
The club meeting also has a report on who is sick or had a recent funeral. Appropriate cards are signed and mailed.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kirk Peterson on Monday, January 16, 2017 - 08:37 pm:

Phil
Susan and I could show slides on how we are currently dealing with adverse weather conditions.
Aloha.

Seriously how about a "How to get your Kids involved in the Hobby" seminar. I know know a couple who has done an excellent job.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Monday, January 16, 2017 - 09:54 pm:

Our monthly meeting are club business related with a little (most of the time very little) "T" talk, door prizes and refreshments. The core group that comes to the meetings, many are past working on their cars or are wives of members that have passed. :-( Our club has never been real technical in nature, more a social club.
Re; The club meeting also has a report on who is sick or had a recent funeral. Appropriate cards are signed and mailed.
With the mean age of our members that is part of the program too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Philip Lance on Tuesday, January 17, 2017 - 10:34 am:

Thanks all for the feedback! Hope you survive that "Adverse Weather" Kirk Peterson!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Tuesday, January 17, 2017 - 11:11 am:

We pretty much do the same thing, small "business issues", tech talk, which varies in quantity from meeting to meeeting, and the usual BS sessions which in themselves are somewhat of a learning experience for some if not all, also.

Dennis, you're right! I'm not that old, and I still forget most of what was discussed the meeting before! CRS! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Brough on Tuesday, January 17, 2017 - 11:50 am:

Wish we had a T club in GA. But we do have a military vehicle preservation association affiliate that meets monthly for lunch in a meeting room of a local restaurant.
Some business, some past and upcoming events and parades, some tech talk and some socializing. Since evveryon in that club owns a different vehicles, there are some who are interested in learing about other jeeps and trucks and some who are only interested in their vehicle.
Interesting point about most members of the one T club that is too old to work on their own vehicles and has got me wondering if we spend too much time on tech talk that know one will actually use.
Also interesting that I haven't heard one club that spends any time on the history of the T, Henry Ford, other auto magnates of that era, or other era related topics. Just the car. Not passing judgement, just interesting.

Our club, like the T clubs, have an average age of retirement plus and attracting new and younger members is always a challenge.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Schedler, Sacramento on Tuesday, January 17, 2017 - 11:51 am:

Kirk, U really think there are a bunch of kids around....at our age. I about got run out of town when I suggested at church that the ladies start having kids (again) so that we could have a Sunday school. Our youngest member is almost 60.

Phil, We have an "Awful Waffle" seminar every other month to discuss and have hands on Model T stuff. We start the meeting with waffles, real maple syrup, real butter, ham, Fruit, juice and coffee. We start at 9 and Finnish around noon.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Gumbinger, Kenosha, WI on Tuesday, January 17, 2017 - 12:14 pm:

Does Hal have a really nice looking shop, or what? Very nice, Hal, and a great meeting place too! :-)

Keith

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration