Speedster is back home

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Speedster is back home
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David on Monday, January 16, 2017 - 03:52 pm:

For the speedster guys - here is my updated progress report on my 16 speedster (that's what we're calling it anyway). - looking to do a side exhaust here shortly - any pics/ suggestions would be appreciated.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By bob middleton on Monday, January 16, 2017 - 10:52 pm:

Here's one I made last year used stock pieces of pre bent tubing

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Tuesday, January 17, 2017 - 04:56 am:

David, much depends on whether you wish to route the pipes inside the frame rail or outside like Bob's photo. Once you decide, suggestions will flow.

I found it much easier to route them outside the frame on my 15 speedster. I built tube headers from the engine and gathered them just in front of the muffler next to where a door would be if you had one. Good practice is to pair nos.1 and 4 ports and 2and 3. and then run them together. However, it is simpler to do it just as Bob did.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chadwick Azevedo on Tuesday, January 17, 2017 - 09:35 am:

My opinion . . .

-A sidepipe will not look good with a full hood.
-Cowl Lights look out of place without fenders and then its debatable
-A side pipe does not look good on a full fendered speedster

Having said this and looking at what you have there are a few changes, asssuming you won't be adding fenders. If you are thinking of bringing the exhaust thru the hood I would look for a '14 hood (I believe that did not have louvers) and replace just the side where your exhaust will be. I would bring the exhaust thru the hood with a slight down turn (pipes running perpindicular to the frame) so that a level 2-3" (depending on engine build) pipe can be runjust about equal with the frame rail. the foreward end of the pipe I would put a cone on (this is based on the era of your car). Cosmetically I would change out your fuel tank for one from a torpedo, invert the eyes on your springs, remove the cowl lamps, trim down the firewall (remove the coil box as well), and lower the steering. Remember lower looks and handles better while lighter goes faster.

Assuming on the other hand that you would be going full fendered a fair bit changes in my opinion. I would forget about the side pipe although still replace 1/2 the hood with an earlier. Coming out of the engine I would "T" the exhaust so it normally runs thru headers to a muffler and out the back under the car. The other leg of the T would be zoomies with holes cut in the hood. Any valve could be used but I think something more along the lines of a muzzle cap for a gun would be more classic. As useless as they are I would probably add a monocle windscreen.

It helps to have something in mind when you are building a speedster whether its something that was stripped down and raced on the weekends or a gentlemans ride.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Tuesday, January 17, 2017 - 06:47 pm:

David, that's a freakin' cute speedster!
Ya gotta tell me about that coil box. If you would? :-)
Here's a couple of "speedster exhaust, mtfca" links but I hope some of the folks will chime in here with there own pics.
http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/179374/200975.html
http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/29/46038.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David on Wednesday, January 18, 2017 - 09:42 am:

THANKS FOR THE INFO EVERYBODY - I LOVE THIS FORUM.

Bob - that looks great. I like what you've done there.

Allen - looking to route on the outside of the frame down the side. finding it hard to figure out how to get the #4 pipe out of such a tight area though.

Chadwick - great input thanks. Sounds like you sure like speedsters! the full hood is going to either go away to make way for the exhaust, or be trimmed - and the cowl lights are my turn signals for road safety. they must stay - plus they're housing the Snyder's LED amber turn/running lights which are great and amazing by the way. Easy kit. And no fenders. Never.

This is what i love about speedsters - they are Model Ts, but they are made up of what was laying around the farm at the time.

Duey - thanks! that coil box is my own invention, and I may say I LOVE it.

It is an original Model T coil box, of which i have no idea of the year, with the lid flipped backwards to give it a nice angle for reading the AMP meter.I merely cut out the top of the lid so the model T switch plate would fit. The front consists of two amber, and three red glass bulb lights from a vintage military fighter plane. they are cool when lit. they have metal screens inside which give a neat glow. DIALCO style. the two ambers are hooked up to my turn signals and the three reds are AUX. switches for other stuff to come. thanks for the praise

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chadwick Azevedo on Wednesday, January 18, 2017 - 07:54 pm:

True I am a fan of speedsters (3rd generation) the problem with trimming the full hood is that I feel to maintain the right look the hood should either be enough to reach the verticle or be non existant. The louvers get in the way which is why I was recomending an earlier hood half at least. As far as the lights go Ive never had a problem with turn signals. It seems more people look at the car and you instead of lights. If you are signalling their attention is already there. Just my $.02 and for your opinion here is what Im starting work on (1912 tourabout).

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration