OT-1956 Convertible rolled

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: OT-1956 Convertible rolled
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Killecut on Monday, January 16, 2017 - 06:41 pm:

I'm starting a new project. The boy is excited and right in there working.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Albert Lemon on Monday, January 16, 2017 - 09:26 pm:

Aw man, would I ever love to own that beauty !!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, January 16, 2017 - 09:33 pm:

I bought a 1954 for $90. A year later, after the rag top flew apart on the freeway, I sold the car for $90. I was so happy to break even. I wonder if I could buy another one for $90. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Fischer - Arroyo Grande, CA on Monday, January 16, 2017 - 09:40 pm:

'56 Ford Convertible ?

Heck, Dan, I'm excited too even if you aren't my Grandpa !

Dick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kirk Peterson on Monday, January 16, 2017 - 09:54 pm:

The first car I drove was my Dad's 55 Sunliner. A lot of great family memories. Wishing you and your boy the best excitement.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Monday, January 16, 2017 - 10:22 pm:

A friend dragged a green 56 Sunliner into my shop one day and wanted
the floors replaced. He had already had the quarters done, and the work,
.... well, I've never seen worse welding in all my life. The seams were puckered
and bowed, the weld, just a long line of balls and blobs and jagged edges.
He was a cheap SOB, and made some trade or got a "good deal". What a
mess !

I carefully drew out lines with a Sharpie and cut each 1/4 section out and
butt-seamed the fit. When it was done, you could not tell where the old metal
ended and the new began. He came in after the first one was done. I thought
he'd be happy, but instead he was angry that the whole job wasn't done ! ...
.... saying this was going to cost him a fortune, and the other guy only took
that long to do both quarters ! I told him to go get a trailer. He faltered in his
attack and I told him I did not do sh!t work, and if he wanted sh!t work, take it
back to that other "craftsman". I finished the floors, but his cheapskate haraguing
drove me to cut it off at that. Often wondered what became of that car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Noonan - Norton, MA. on Monday, January 16, 2017 - 10:23 pm:

Best of luck on the new project Dan, What are you using to flip it up like that?, its obviously not a rotisserie type jig.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeff Hood -Long Beach, California on Monday, January 16, 2017 - 11:54 pm:

I love the '56 Fords, best looking Ford of the fifties. Mine is a Fordor Victoria Hardtop that my parents bought new. Not too many four door hardtops around, and only about 6000 made in '56 I believe.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John F. Regan on Tuesday, January 17, 2017 - 12:57 am:

I had a '55 sunliner in High School. What a chick magnet that thing was. Oops - wife might be reading this.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Dufault on Tuesday, January 17, 2017 - 08:00 am:

Yes,

Too soon old - too late smart. I traded mine that looked like this a L O N G time ago. Sure do regret that move (among a few others at a young age).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Tuesday, January 17, 2017 - 09:11 am:

Jeff -- "Mine is a Fordor Victoria Hardtop that my parents bought new. Not too many four door hardtops around..."

You're right about that; I've seen only two of them, ever.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Herb Iffrig on Tuesday, January 17, 2017 - 11:31 am:

John maybe Dan drove it in there like that!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Tuesday, January 17, 2017 - 11:51 am:

That rear bumper looks amazingly intact for having the exhaust pipes routed through it. Most I've seen are corroded away in that area. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Tuesday, January 17, 2017 - 11:58 am:

Dan: The underside of your car looks so clean! It can't be from NEW YORK!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Jefferson, Ohio on Tuesday, January 17, 2017 - 12:56 pm:

I am amazed how the young boy can hold that car up on it's side like that so you can work on it!

I ain't gonna mess with him! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Dunlavy, Iowa USA on Tuesday, January 17, 2017 - 03:05 pm:

I have sinned also.
http://dunlavy.us/1959ford/index.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Killecut on Tuesday, January 17, 2017 - 06:46 pm:

Thanks for the positive post on this thread.

Jeff, I also think 56 Ford's are the best looking car ever produced, with their clean flowing lines.If everyone thought that, they would be impossible to buy. Your car is very rare. I have one as a parts car along with a few other 56 parts cars. I also have a 55 Sunliner that is actually a better car than this one, but I'd like 56's better. I bought a lot of 50s Fords and Mercs up to 56 back in the 70s when you could buy them cheap.

My friends were into the 30's Fords then, and asked me why I was buying them. My answer was because I liked them. Now, many are worth more than the 30's cars.

Over the years I have restored quite a few and still have a good stock of them. I will never run out of projects. I paid $450 for this one. It was all Hot Rodded up. After I sold all the Hot Rod stuff I was into it for $50. I spent another $50 for a low mileage parts car for all the original parts that I needed. I also bought lot of NOS chrome etc. at the time, again at giveaway prices.

John, what I used to roll the car works good and takes no room to store. It operates with a half inch drill.

Dick, he is excited. He loves working on it but I had to hold the handle of the drill so the torque wouldn't flip the drill over in his hands. He was having a great time.

Herb, I'm good but not quite that good.

Mark, The bumper isn't corroded at all, but I have a new old stock one for it and also NOS inserts.

Larry, you are right it came from Florida. The original undercoating looks so good I may just power wash it and paint the frame.

The name of rollover is: Liqui Car Tech. I bought this at Carlisle, PA 15 years ago.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Killecut on Tuesday, January 17, 2017 - 06:52 pm:

Dennis, he isn't quite that strong yet, I'll have to give him a little more time.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John McGinnis in San Jose area, CA. on Wednesday, January 18, 2017 - 12:47 pm:

Why do we see so many '55-'57 Chevys as compared to Fords of that vintage?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Wednesday, January 18, 2017 - 01:51 pm:

Good question, John. Ford actually outsold Chevy for the 57 model year.
I have never understood the 57 Chevy sensation that occurred in the 60's
and carries forth to today. Not that I see anything wrong with 57 Chevys. I
just have never understood what is so "right" about them ! Having owned
53, 57, and 59 Fords, I can say they are mechanically inferior to the late 50's
Mopars I own, but admittedly, those Mopars were much more expensive cars
in the day, so probably not a good "apples-to-apples" comparison. Never
have owned or driven 57 Chevys to make a direct comparison.

Personally, I think Ford hit a historical high mark with the fancier Fairlane
body and trim for 57. The 57 Chevy has goofy, oversized headlight nacelles
that pretty much wreck the rest of the good points of the car. Perhaps some
on here have personal insight into the shortcomings of the design that led
most 57 Fords to get junked ?

Finned cars rapidly fell beyond out of style in the early 60's and were, unlike
previous generations of cars, seen as embarrassing and eyesores for their
excessive flamboyance. A step too far, that most people wanted to rid them-
selves of and try to forget. Of all stylistic periods, the fin era has the lowest
surviving percentages of post-war cars, and today command much higher
money than comparable cars from 55 and earlier, or 62 and later.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill on Monday, February 06, 2017 - 09:54 am:

Good morning,
I know this is a Model T forum, I have a 1922 T Roadster, at least I did have until my granddaughter decided it was hers. Had the car since 1969. Now this is off topic but I need some help. I just purchased the property next door to me, it has a big pole barn. There was a 1965 0r 66 Galaxy convertible, 390 engine, stored in an a old semi trailer. I know the trunk floor was gone but I believe if you would have put gas and a battery in it would have started. The man that is a scraper cut up the car. All that is left is the main body, top and seats. Are there any forums that I could list this on. I don't want to scrape this part if someone could use it. It is located in Ohio
Bill

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Matthew Weaver on Monday, February 06, 2017 - 11:07 am:

You could list it over on the Ford Muscle Forums Galaxie page. Probably get a lot of response out of them. Back to the original topic, That's a beautiful 56 Sunliner. I've got a 56 Fairlane 2dr HT project coming from GA to WV this spring. I hope to get to it at some point if I can ever find all the parts to fix it. The Model TT and then my 63 Galaxie P Code are next for me. - Matt

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration