What do you do during winter??

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: What do you do during winter??
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andre Valkenaers on Tuesday, January 17, 2017 - 12:48 am:

Till now nobody started a tread about what he did during January. I was wondering if you all are making a "Winter sleep".

I didn't.
Since Christmas there were the Heinze Coils, twenty or so Ford and last weekend I made two Master coils ready for the season. No they are not only for show they work as they should be.
All cleaned out, new points, new wiring and new capacitors

Andre
Belgium

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By gary hammond on Tuesday, January 17, 2017 - 04:08 am:

Nice work!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Leo van Stirum on Tuesday, January 17, 2017 - 04:11 am:

Those are some very pretty coils Andre !

Leo< Holland

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Anthonie Boer --- Klaaswaal NL on Tuesday, January 17, 2017 - 06:50 am:

I just finished an engine ,who had an broken Crankshaft.
2548M
Toon

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Hoogendoorn on Tuesday, January 17, 2017 - 06:56 am:

Here in Johannesburg we drive our cars in winter, almost the best time of the year for driving a T. Sunny cloudless skies, no wind and temperature between 15 and 25 degrees Celcius at noon.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Whelihan Danbury, WI on Tuesday, January 17, 2017 - 07:19 am:

I haul in wood and haul out ash. Old car work takes a back seat to staying warm in northern WI this time of year.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob from Nova Scotia on Tuesday, January 17, 2017 - 07:22 am:

I'm going to restore this early fifties Gilbarco

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Hoogendoorn on Tuesday, January 17, 2017 - 07:36 am:

Toon I like your test bench. Daar ben ik echt jaloers op jonge!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dean Kiefer - Adams, MN on Tuesday, January 17, 2017 - 07:45 am:

Move snow.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Tuesday, January 17, 2017 - 07:46 am:

80 degrees today in sunny Fla. think I will take SaraJane out for a test & check. Maybe see if there are any pretty girls out and about down by the beach.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Murray on Tuesday, January 17, 2017 - 08:17 am:

Three mornings ago here in central New Brunswick it was -20F; following the January thaw that brought 3 days of rain, everything is now frozen solid! Mostly Jan. and Feb. are taken up with tending the wood-fired boiler and moving snow, with a weekly shopping trip to town. We're always glad when April finally arrives!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chadwick Azevedo on Tuesday, January 17, 2017 - 08:37 am:

Not sure what the temp is here, Ive got windows and doors open (screens on) in an effort to not have to turn the AC on. As for projects Im still working on my recycled shift/brake quadrant. The center is from a salvage water fill, the spoked are cut from a salvaged prop strut (had to dive to get it). The ruxtel shift lever is from a keel bolt (had to dive to get it) and the brake lever started out as a throttle from a sailboat. The interior rotating parts will be cut on the lathe from a propeller shaft. Its ugly as can be now but starting to take shape.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James G Fisher III Peachtree City, GA on Tuesday, January 17, 2017 - 08:37 am:

Winter only last a few days here so I watch old Kojak episodes.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Anthonie Boer --- Klaaswaal NL on Tuesday, January 17, 2017 - 08:55 am:

Paul H ; Als je de test Bench wil gebruiken, dan kom je maar met je motor.
Toon

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Brough on Tuesday, January 17, 2017 - 09:35 am:

I'm with Janes, in the Atlanta , GA area. Ice storm and the end of the world as we know it last weekend, and this week, 70f. So got some wood working done. Don't freak out, just using plywood for an initial mock up. Then 4/4 oak for the finished product. WWI machine gun carrier.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Tuesday, January 17, 2017 - 09:40 am:

Piss and moan about the bad weather and drive the wife crazy. Oh, once in a while I putz around on car stuff, but don't need much. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Tuesday, January 17, 2017 - 10:04 am:

In Alberta Canada it is good shop time. I'm working on engines

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Brough on Tuesday, January 17, 2017 - 11:53 am:

What do I really do in the winter?

Gain 15 pounds.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dean Kiefer - Adams, MN on Tuesday, January 17, 2017 - 11:58 am:

I'm trying to loose 15 pounds. Just started today. Well it's almost lunch time, gotta go.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Townsend ; ^ ) Gresham, Orygun on Tuesday, January 17, 2017 - 12:22 pm:

It's too cold to work out in the shop, so I go for a drive...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Tuesday, January 17, 2017 - 12:31 pm:

Temps been under 20 and closer to zero for much of the last month.
The 2' of snow has compacted now to about 1.5. What the TT needs,
I am too sick to do. Just gonna sit this dance out and see what next
week brings.

Phone has been ringing off the hook for snow clearing and ice dam
problems on roofs. When I come home from doing that all day, I don't
have much interest in staying out in single digit temps.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Phillip Maurici on Tuesday, January 17, 2017 - 01:10 pm:

When you live in Florida you do the same thing in Winter as the rest of the year.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Rogers - South of the Adirondacks on Tuesday, January 17, 2017 - 01:33 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Tuesday, January 17, 2017 - 01:50 pm:

Phillip; Do they still have that 2 story brick elementary school I attended in operation? I was there in the 60's.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Allen on Tuesday, January 17, 2017 - 02:29 pm:

We've decided to mostly skip winter in Houston this year.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Tuesday, January 17, 2017 - 02:40 pm:

Combined coyote hunting trip with seeking T parts. Was sucessful at both. Got out of dodge before ice storm hit. Going to be 50 this weekend so I'll probably be wearing shorts and working on RPU.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Vitko on Tuesday, January 17, 2017 - 03:06 pm:

I admire your skills and workman ship Toon.

Gad Keith, had to call my brother in Aloha about weather after seeing your picture.

We will hit fifty today with no snow or ice,

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Zachary Dillinger - Charlotte, MI on Tuesday, January 17, 2017 - 04:53 pm:

I drink a lot of coffee, read a lot of books, and burn a lot of wood in the wood stove, and I dream about spring.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Will Copeland - West Melbourne Florida on Tuesday, January 17, 2017 - 05:06 pm:

I just suffer everyday.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Will Copeland - West Melbourne Florida on Tuesday, January 17, 2017 - 05:09 pm:

Then on real miserable days this is what Im forced to do.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Patterson-Nicholasville, Kentucky on Tuesday, January 17, 2017 - 06:23 pm:

Rebuilding Model T generator and starter brushplates.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robb Wolff on Tuesday, January 17, 2017 - 06:25 pm:

Been making lots of dust lately.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Tuesday, January 17, 2017 - 06:54 pm:

I have already worked on two other people's T's this month and pruned the roses and fruit trees. The roses usually go dormant but this year are already starting to bloom. I do most of this between rain storms. It has rained more than most years already in California. No snow here yet. Sometimes we get an inch which melts the same day, but usually just rain in the winter here.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joe LaMacchia, St. Louis, MO. on Tuesday, January 17, 2017 - 07:23 pm:

I enjoy my T's as much as possible.......but I'm with WILL COPELAND on this one!!!
Especially on days like this.

We did have nice weather on the last weekend in October though.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Garrison on Tuesday, January 17, 2017 - 07:37 pm:

Finally a day in the 20's F today. I did most of my laundry, took a nap, had some coffee, took a nap, watched some tv, took a nap, went to a friend's house for coffee, got home, and yep, you guessed it; I took a nap. Now I'm going to cook and eat supper, and fold my clothes. Then it'll be time for bed!

Tomorrow will be a repeat of today. Well, I guess I won't work on the laundry tomorrow.

I've lost 12 lbs since before Christmas. I'm letting my whiskers grow. I guess my neighbor wants to work in the shop this evening. He's got a bravado with a froze up brake caliper.

Now if you'll forgive me, I think I'll just take a...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Tuesday, January 17, 2017 - 07:53 pm:

Carry corn to the stove and polish my new Henry Rifle! Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Garrison - Rice, Minnesota on Tuesday, January 17, 2017 - 07:58 pm:

Bud, I'm thinking about a Henry .17HMR for varmints. Though I'll seldom use it, I'm impressed with the looks of them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Tuesday, January 17, 2017 - 07:59 pm:

Bud, I carry alot of corn for the stove but I dont have a henry. Lucky Bud!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Tuesday, January 17, 2017 - 09:05 pm:

Mike,I have 3-A-.22 .17,and a .357 The Grandson can reload the .357 or .38 cheaper than i can shoot the others! Dallas,We have been burning corn for ten years all while people starve.I guess if our farmers starve their people too!! Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Coiro on Tuesday, January 17, 2017 - 11:01 pm:

I'm writing a science-fiction novel. _
No, I'm not laboring under any delusion there's a ghost of a chance of it getting published; it's just fun to write. _
Oh, and as hobbies go, it's pretty cheap.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Wednesday, January 18, 2017 - 12:22 am:

Bob,

How do you hold that beer can in your mouth ? :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Willis Jenkins on Wednesday, January 18, 2017 - 12:47 am:

What have I done all winter?
Been physically sick due to this idiot that was voted in, by who, I can't imagine, as the entire world thinks the United States is full of a bunch of morons! Literally, God help us all!

Willis

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Pergande, Essexville MI on Wednesday, January 18, 2017 - 12:57 am:

I'm with you Willis...is this country that lost or what...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Wednesday, January 18, 2017 - 01:35 am:

What beer can? What alien??

Spent some of the day clearing this fallen tree, blocking the way to my T garage!

Had to fix the chainsaw first, so only got limbs trimmed and now it's supposed to rain & wind for two days. Oh bother!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Fischer - Arroyo Grande, CA on Wednesday, January 18, 2017 - 10:43 am:

Burger,

I think I can answer your question about holding the beer can. The whole story leaked out of Roswell a few years ago.

Seems space aliens were checking out our planet for invasion. The advance aliens really liked our brew and our babes. And they had a magnetic field in their helmets that could hold steel cans by thought control.

Our military was helpless. Our scientists were helpless. But just about that time the pop top can was invented, which worked best with aluminum cans. Almost overnite steel cans disappeared from circulation, replaced with aluminum.

Now everyone knows that aluminum is not magnetic. So the space aliens couldn't hold a brewsky in place with their magnetic field. And once they sobered up many of the babes didn't look so good after all.

No beer, no babes. The space aliens warned their approaching hordes that Earth wasn't so desirable after all, and the invasion was called off.

And that's how the Earth was saved. Trust me, I got it from a guy who knew a guy who lived in Roswell.

Dick (Who has too much time on hands during winter)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Rogers - South of the Adirondacks on Wednesday, January 18, 2017 - 10:51 am:

Will- you ain't fooling me. I lived on the Gulf coast for 3 years and you guys roll up the sidewalks in the Winter. Folks down there run for cover when it drops into the 50s!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Coiro on Wednesday, January 18, 2017 - 12:53 pm:

Dick Fischer spins a pretty good science-fiction yarnóbetter than mine, I'm afraid. _Truth is, it wasn't so much a matter of holding a beer can in my mouth as it was just getting my stupid tongue accidentally stuck in the pop-top keyhole. _The babe said she'd help me get if off if I carried her back to town, but then she just stole my brewski. _All I got out of the deal was an aching back. _Oh, well.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David A. Siver.......De Smet, SD on Thursday, January 19, 2017 - 10:08 am:

I spend a lot of time fishing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A Bartsch on Thursday, January 19, 2017 - 10:09 am:

Too rainy and warm to icefish, so rebuilding several coils and re-rebuilding 3 that I did 4 yrs ago with the incorrect low dv/dt Caps. Digging out 80+ yr old tar is a breeze compared to taking out the new stuff. jb

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Patterson-Nicholasville, Kentucky on Thursday, January 19, 2017 - 10:25 am:

Stalking unwanted visitors on my neighbors lawn.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A Bartsch on Thursday, January 19, 2017 - 10:33 am:

Ron: Is that critter responsible for those 'incorrect' capacitors I received (from a NY vendor) back in 012? Eradicate the whole lot of them along with their bogus parts!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chad Marchees _____Tax Capital, NY on Tuesday, January 24, 2017 - 08:18 pm:

Tonight, did a little snow plowing with the doodlebug. Even in a open cockpit, the engine gives off a good amount of heat. It helps that the wind isn't blowing hardly either. This was about 2" of very wet heavy stuff, its been sleeting and freezing rain here for about 24 hours.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Brough on Tuesday, January 24, 2017 - 09:04 pm:

A bit of tin and a bit of board and that is how you made a Ford.
Got alittle woodworking in this week. Built my box for my WWI machine gun carrier. Oak sides and tongue and groove boards for the bed. Trap door for the battery box access. It'll all get sealed, primed and painted flat OD green, but it's coming along. Floorboards are done, so only seat remains.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Tuesday, January 24, 2017 - 09:21 pm:

Been working on a project to be revealed soon. All will be amazed, aghast, or apathetic.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Tuesday, January 24, 2017 - 09:32 pm:

No time to get any real work done to my cars. I did call langs and make a order for the 27 but they don't have any core 26-7carbs so I have to box up my last one to send them for a what they call a show rebuild. Gonna install a Wilmo that I dropped of to have jet hot coated and polished.It will be done this Thursday. Need all of it back on the car in just 9 weeks. It' just 9 weeks until the rod run in pigeon forge Tn. Want to take the 27 roadster because you hardly ever see a T out of the thousands of cars that come to the show. I also ordered my enclosed trailer and need to pick it up in 2 weeks. So if it all works out I will get her to the Rod Run. If not I will be taking a crusty looking 29 model A Tudor sedan that runs great. So either way I am going. Weather here has been from 18 degrees to 51 today. Last weekend we had tornados here in the south but thankfully not here.Tim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Pat Kelly Montana on Tuesday, January 24, 2017 - 10:34 pm:

Started pulling the motor on my 27 Tudor. I have water in the oil. Might be a crack.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Wednesday, January 25, 2017 - 10:07 am:

Re-built my 26/7 coil box with kit from fun projects now you cant see the coils from underneath the car.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration