Even Fords get stuck-Photo

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Even Fords get stuck-Photo
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Herb Iffrig on Tuesday, January 17, 2017 - 06:46 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Tuesday, January 17, 2017 - 07:30 pm:

Embarrasing day for the Ford and its owner. Victory for the horse!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham on Tuesday, January 17, 2017 - 07:33 pm:

That is STUCK ! Looks like we're working up a six horse hitch to get him out of that.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Tuesday, January 17, 2017 - 07:59 pm:

I doubt it! A two horse team will easily pull the Ford!Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Tuesday, January 17, 2017 - 08:03 pm:

Looks like a mule team on the wagon by the look of those ears

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Tuesday, January 17, 2017 - 08:50 pm:

Smackover is a small town in southern Arkansas near Eldorado Arkansas. There was a big oil boom there during the 1920s. Thousands of workers flocked to the area. It is nothing but "gumbo" mud for as far as you can see, and is the type of mud that the farther you walk in it the bigger the glob of mud stuck to your boots get. Till you can no longer walk and have to take a shovel or something to cut the mud from your boots. It is terrible stuff. I bet every inch of road within 50 miles in any direction looked just like that. There is a Museum in Smackover that is named the "Museum of Natural Resources". It deals with the oil, timber, brine, and chemical production of the area. I highly recommend it to anyone in the area. They have several Model Ts on display. There is a really interesting Modell TT truck. It is a circus vehicle that made it to Smackover in 1929. Due to the stock market crash and following depression the owners just stayed there. The lady was known as the "goat lady" as she kept goats. She ended up living out the rest of her life in the old Model TT circus wagon on a creek just outside Smackover. That TT truck and story of her life is worth the stop to see it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gilbert V. I. Fitzhugh on Tuesday, January 17, 2017 - 11:17 pm:

Donnie - That's great! I really enjoy learning something about the history of these places.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Willis Jenkins on Tuesday, January 17, 2017 - 11:37 pm:

A Ford is a car just the same!

Willis

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James G Fisher III Peachtree City, GA on Wednesday, January 18, 2017 - 08:01 am:

No wonder he got stuck. He's driving on the wrong side of the road :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Howard D. Dennis Byron, Georgia on Wednesday, January 18, 2017 - 12:50 pm:

http://www.brhoward.com/model_t_motor_home.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Wednesday, January 18, 2017 - 01:14 pm:

Pretty neat rig. I am left wondering how they made this thing go. That
body looks plenty heavy and by association, ponderous. I know what a
simple flatbed TT drives like with 20hp. Add a railroad caboose with of
glass and accessoies, ... must have been a slow go with lots of fuss over
excessive lean and getting stuck.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Friday, January 20, 2017 - 10:16 am:

Howard, thanks for the link. I was going to try and find my pictures of the TT Circus truck. I was able to help out a little with the restoration. My part was finding the tires for them. It is a very neat truck. It has two Ruxtell rear ends. And if I remember right it also has a Warford. What would be the gear ratio or speed of everything in low ..??? The "goat lady" was said to have a piano inside the truck/motor home. She would roll it out onto the back porch and play music for whatever money was given to her. From what I have read about the couple, they fit into the typical gypsy, traveling medicine show of the day. The museum is set up like full size dioramas. One of the displays shows a model T stuck in the mud of main street Smackover, similar to the photo above. It appears from the link above that the museum is now named Museum of Natural History. They started out as the Oil and Brine Museum, but the Timber and Chemical Industries did not like that. So they changed it to The Museum of Natural Resources. I guess someone did not like that because now they are The Museum of Natural History. They also were able to move the entire old Unit #1 refinery from the Lion Oil Refinery in Eldorado to the Museum grounds. The entire Unit #1 would fit on a single city block size of land. Today they have single furnaces the size of the entire Unit #1. As a Boilermaker, I worked at Lion Oil many times thru the years. Unit #1 was still running when I started the apprenticeship in 1974. They shut down Unit#1 in aprox 1978. So I can say I actually worked on the refinery that supplied gas and oil for our Model Ts.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les VonNordheim on Friday, January 20, 2017 - 04:24 pm:

After that dunking.....wonder how long the rear end lasted?

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration