Question about year of my TT

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Question about year of my TT
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim williams Baldwinsville NY. on Tuesday, January 17, 2017 - 07:27 pm:

My TT has casting date of 11-3-19 in the circle and a serial number of 3525781 made in USA on block and head
The differential has the beads where the axel tubes go in
Is it safe to say it's a 1919 or is there a lot of leeway here
Thanks Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Tuesday, January 17, 2017 - 07:44 pm:

Well, your engine corresponds to November 5, 1919 assembly, making it a 1920 year model. The beads on the clam shells substantiate that it's an early truck (I haven't been able to determine with certainty when the beads were discontinued).

Does it have:

1. A wood firewall?
2. A low radiator?
3. Short running boards?
4. A short (1hole each site) rear chassis cross member?

These things would also substantiate what the engine number suggests. Another thing to look at is the patent plate on the firewall near the steering column. Is it the correct one for a 1920 T?

These darn trucks can be an enigma when it comes to determining the date or even year of manufacture. Usually there are a number of contradictory indicators.

If you ever disassemble the rear end, a pinion shaft indicates an early truck, a spider indicates a later truck. Also, I assume the body on your truck is aftermarket since cabs and bodies weren't offered by Ford until 1924.

Just have FUN with it!!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim williams Baldwinsville NY. on Tuesday, January 17, 2017 - 08:23 pm:

Thanks Henry it was just a chassis with no hood or radiator
When I bought it it does have a high cowl with no patent plate
Long running boards two holes in each side of the crossmember a round mounting plate on the steering column.
It did have some remnants of a wooden cab and it has
Solid rubber tires.I will be registering it for the first time here in
Central NY and all that is needed is a tracing of the eng.
Serial number for a vehicle with no reg. So I can call it any year I want but I would like to get as close as possible
I guess 1920 is good Thanks Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Wednesday, January 18, 2017 - 12:39 am:

Henry is correct. November 1919 is in the 1920 model year.

http://dauntlessgeezer.com/DG90.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Wednesday, January 18, 2017 - 12:48 am:

Sounds like it's a hodgepodge of parts, as so many TT's are. I'm reasonably certain mine started out as a 1918 model with a '23 engine installed sometime later. When I registered it in 2008 (the old plate was a 1941 plate) I put down that it's a 1923 truck because I could (and did) convince the DMV clerk of that "fact" using Bruce McCalley's book and the engine number as proof. The path of least resistance worked and those guys here in the Califunny DMV can be pretty anal.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration