Starter switch issue

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Starter switch issue
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Heavner on Tuesday, January 17, 2017 - 08:18 pm:

Another update on my starter switch problem. I thought I had the problem licked, then the T started acting up again. When I pushed the starter button, nothing happened. There was no sound and no contact. There was still no problem hand cranking the T. This time I was thinking the problem is in the battery cable to the starter switch or the cable from the starter switch to the starter motor. I called Lang's and talked to their technician. He agreed that may be the problem so I ordered both cables even though I was getting a reading off the meter on both cables. The cables were ordered on Friday. They arrived Monday via USPS. Not only that, I was in the garage working on Speedy when the package arrived right into my hands. I immediately replaced the battery cable first and the T started right up. As the starter switch to starter motor cable was worn and old, I replaced it as well. Now everything from the battery to the starter motor is new and clean. I drove Speedy around the neighborhood today and it has never started or run as well. I even think it is running a little cooler. Thanks again for all the help on the forum. The forum is priceless.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Patterson-Nicholasville, Kentucky on Tuesday, January 17, 2017 - 08:29 pm:

David
Next time it occurs investigate if you have this problem.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Heavner on Wednesday, January 18, 2017 - 01:52 am:

Ok Ron, thanks. When we rebuilt the transmission, we also took apart the timer. It looked ok. We also put in a new Bendix gear and rebuilt the starter motor. It has a new ring gear, recharged magnets, rebuilt mag ring, new brake drum, transmission clutch discs, and a starter switch. The T is doing great now especially since you rebuilt the coils. They are buzzing and clicking along like they have never buzzed and clicked before.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration