Brakes for a model T 1925

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Brakes for a model T 1925
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gilbert Trillo on Tuesday, January 17, 2017 - 08:26 pm:

Question?
I have a model T 1925 with standard brakes. Brakes were working fine but one day I started the car and when I went to break car would not stop.
Any ideas? thoughts?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chadwick Azevedo on Tuesday, January 17, 2017 - 08:44 pm:

Which brake were you using foot or hand?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gilbert Trillo on Tuesday, January 17, 2017 - 11:14 pm:

foot

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Tuesday, January 17, 2017 - 11:32 pm:

Band needs tightening. Check band material while you have the cover open.
I had mine just fall apart at one point and had to replace the band.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Tuesday, January 17, 2017 - 11:48 pm:

Band adjusting nut stripped off the pedal shaft? Broken band? Take a look into the transmission and see. Be VERY VERY VERY careful not to drop anything in there.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Wednesday, January 18, 2017 - 01:25 am:

I'm putting AC brakes on my '25. Oh, if anyone asks, they ARE just for display only. . .

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Wednesday, January 18, 2017 - 10:17 am:

Do they still have to be for display only if you buy them second hand?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gilbert V. I. Fitzhugh on Wednesday, January 18, 2017 - 10:22 am:

I'm missing something. I've just bought a '14 without auxiliary brakes, and have been considering buying new ACs. Is there a suggestion here that I shouldn't drive with them? If so, why not?

Gil Fitzhugh

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Wednesday, January 18, 2017 - 10:41 am:

Gil, from what I've read here they work fine. The "display only" ploy is a liability thing. Larry Sidmore doesn't want somebody having a wreck, blaming his brakes for it, and suing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bruce Compton on Wednesday, January 18, 2017 - 11:31 am:

Gilbert : I strongly recommend some sort of "outside" brakes if you drive your car a lot, especially in traffic. Either good used old aftermarket types, or the readily available new aftermarket sets make a huge difference. I would not drive my '25 without them. I have them set up to activate well before the stock transmission brake, but the transmission brake will still stop the car should something fail in the outside set up.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Wednesday, January 18, 2017 - 11:51 am:

Gilbert: Did the car stop driving also when the brake stopped working? In that case you have something that failed in the drive line.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Wednesday, January 18, 2017 - 02:51 pm:

Gil, Steve is 100% correct, Larry has to CYA by having purchasers sign a statement that they will be used for display only. That way it is the owner's problem if he uses them and is in a wreck. They are a great, safe product, there's just too many lawyers out there.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gilbert V. I. Fitzhugh on Wednesday, January 18, 2017 - 05:58 pm:

Steve and David, thank you both. I'm much reassured.

Gil Fitzhugh

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kirk Peterson on Wednesday, January 18, 2017 - 09:35 pm:

Gil
Larry's AC brakes work good.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Matthiesen on Wednesday, January 18, 2017 - 11:20 pm:

In the mid and late 1980's when I was racing modern type dirt track cars, all of the parts from the parts companies carried the following standard disclaimer, "User assumes all risk and liabilities'". Saying that something is, "For Display Only", means something quite different to me about the part.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Thursday, January 19, 2017 - 05:32 am:

Kevin, I imagine to a lawyer it does say something quite different than "user assumes all risk and liabilities"--that's never held much water with show tickets! If the manufacturer has a signed document that you will not use what he/she sells as a functioning part, they're pretty much Off the hook if you do use it that way.
sorta reminds me of a safety note I saw on a curling iron, "not to be used for the other use"
Huh? something didn't translate well from the Chinese!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Matthiesen on Thursday, January 19, 2017 - 04:49 pm:

David that is not necessary so because if push came to shove I am sure a lawyer could prove said parts were being widely used by many. Then the maker would have to say, "I know nothing, I see nothing about that". This also opens up the possibly that a unscrupulous maker could make parts out of unsuitable materials just by claiming
"For Display Only". Would antique car collectors buy, say "Wheels", for display only. How many wheels does one really need just hanging on the wall anyway?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Thursday, January 19, 2017 - 05:49 pm:

Kevin,
Very true, lawyers can ofttimes make something out of nothing. I am reminded of the early days in Oroville. One lawyer moved to town and he was pretty much starving. Then a second lawyer arrived and they both prospered!
:-)
But not to worry about the AC brakes, they are made very well.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Thursday, January 19, 2017 - 08:00 pm:

David, it's been far too long since I have seen the word ofttimes used. I "think" it but won't use it as the general population won't get it. :-)
Gilbert, please tell more. :-)
Duane.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Vitko on Thursday, January 19, 2017 - 08:23 pm:

I like disc brakes they work forward or backward wet and the caliper should hold the wheel on if you break an axle. Mine are made from motorcycle parts without much green.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Friday, January 20, 2017 - 12:02 am:

Duane, I am often (ofttimes?) accused of using strange words! Usually it's just me mispronouncing them!
:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Codman on Friday, January 20, 2017 - 10:09 am:

Some states have a "fitness for a particular purpose" statute. Essentially, what that means is that an item must do what it is supposed to do. A reasonable person would assume that a brake band operate in such a way as to slow and stop the vehicle. I doubt that "for display only" would provide much legal protection.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration