Old Photo - 1920's Filling Station

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Old Photo - 1920's Filling Station
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Wednesday, January 18, 2017 - 10:47 am:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Wednesday, January 18, 2017 - 11:51 am:

Enlarged.

pic

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Wednesday, January 18, 2017 - 02:56 pm:

When, why, did we stop making such architectural niceties? The building itself is so inviting that I would buy gas there even if it was a few cents more (WHAT??? what am I saying?? Don't tell Mr. Burns I said that!)!
Our local hospital is going to build a new 5-story hospital. The design is a glass cube--1960s cubist minimalist architecture; it has nothing to do with the community's history or ambiance. IMHO, pure UGLY.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham on Wednesday, January 18, 2017 - 11:27 pm:

One thing I noticed about gas stations of the era, most of them were built to look imposing and substantial. It was only the last ten years or so that I became aware how many of them were like a movie-set. Abandoned to the weather or being torn down, many revealed wood frames, stucco over lath formed to appear like heavy masonry. None the less, in their heyday they were impressive and appealing . . .

My Dad, however, preferred to buy gas at a little off-brand station that consisted of two gas pumps, and a little clap-board "shack" about the size of a privy where the attendant could get out of the weather. Just enough room for a four-key cash register . . . it went the way of the buffalo about 1959.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration