Old Photo - Model T Era - Freda Farms Ice Cream Stand In Berlin, CT.

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Old Photo - Model T Era - Freda Farms Ice Cream Stand In Berlin, CT.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Wednesday, January 18, 2017 - 11:10 am:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Wednesday, January 18, 2017 - 03:18 pm:

That is just TOO cool! (pun intended) Note the pedestal drinking fountain to the left of the ice cream box. "Toasted" sandwiches--which today is all the rage at chain sandwich stores. Nothing new under the sun,eh? (as I type in a major rain storm--snow in the mountains though!)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Jefferson, Ohio on Wednesday, January 18, 2017 - 07:00 pm:

Looks like they had a big menu selection look at the long sign board at each end of the stand. Must of had fresh milk to make the ice cream with the barn just behind the stand. We used to save all the cream off of the milk pail that we brought in from the barn and made REAL whipping cream and REAL ice cream...very rich...boy I miss that.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Wednesday, January 18, 2017 - 07:52 pm:

Dennis, you reminded me of the Brown's Valley Dairy, somewhere on the road from McCloud to Susanville. We went that way often to visit my Aunt & Uncle and cousins in Gardnerville, and we would pull off the road back a ways to a shed where we bought "Grada A Cream" in a pint glass bottle with a paper cap (and this was in the 1970s!), self serve too! I don't remember anyone ever being there, just leave you money in the jar. The cream was so thick it wouldn't run out of the bottle, you had to spoon it out. Ooooh was it good on cereal. We didn't worry about cholesterol back then; heck Medo-Bell sold "1oo% Gurnesy milk with 2% more butterfat! Next trip to Gardnerville we'd return the bottle and get another full one.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Landry, Hudson, NH on Wednesday, January 18, 2017 - 08:33 pm:

These kind of ice cream stands are still common in New England - and, I think, rather rare elsewhere. They all started on farms. Most aren't directly associated with farms anymore, but all the good ones make all their own ice cream. Those sign boards would be the list of flavors available. I think New England eats more ice cream per capita than anywhere else in the country, even though it's cold here for a long time. One of the local favorite places opens for the season mid-February and draws a big crowd (including me) for opening weekend. I've actually been there eating ice cream when it was snowing! On a nice summer night, there might be 5 or 6 people waiting in line at each of 10 windows. The portions are huge. I don't know how anybody can eat more than a "small" cone!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Thursday, January 19, 2017 - 05:29 am:

Statistically, more ice cream is sold in winter than in summer
When I was a kid we skied at the Mt. Shasta Ski Bowl (not the current one) and after a day of skiing, we would tromp into Windsor's Drug Store in downtown Mt. Shasta in our wet ski clothes and order double cones (25 as I recall); they made their own ice cream right in the store. My favorite was Lemon Chiffon. This was a "must-do" tradition.
Sadly, Windsor's folded about 1976.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration