I happen to know a guy

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: I happen to know a guy
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jesse L. Ashcraft on Wednesday, January 18, 2017 - 11:19 am:

who's selling his '25 Roadster. Here's a link to the classified thread I just posted for him.

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/3487/715330.html

(Message edited by jesselashcraft on January 18, 2017)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Wednesday, January 18, 2017 - 03:23 pm:

It looks wonderful, and sounds like a very carefully done restoration--but is a '25 worth that much?? Just curious, as none of my Ts are done that nicely (although my '16 probably will be when I get to it--it was way too far gone for a 'fixer-upper' job)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Wednesday, January 18, 2017 - 03:26 pm:

Dewey I know I'll stir up a lot of the conservatives (which I am) but I'm saying I hope it is. Time to get the value of Ts up a little anyway!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Schreiber- Santa Isabel Ecuador on Wednesday, January 18, 2017 - 04:05 pm:

It's very nice but I think the price is a bit optimistic.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Wednesday, January 18, 2017 - 04:10 pm:

Tim, He could easily have that much into it, if he paid for all the work. If you're a realist, you don't get into Model Ts as an investment--just like player pianos!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Wednesday, January 18, 2017 - 06:41 pm:

Did he ever do any skin diving? Just wondering how long he can hold his breath.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Bowker, Ramona, CA on Thursday, January 19, 2017 - 01:03 am:

Its a sad fact but the restoration of most common vehicles is not a profitable proposition. A few exotic vehicles might be an exception, but to have a Model T (or A, V8, Buick, Hot Rod, whatever) restored professionally will cost more than it will fetch on the open market.
Now an early Rolls might be an exception, but even then 2000 hours at $80-100 per hour is close to a quarter of a million dollars. Not many common cars go for anything like that, yet 2000 hours is not uncommon for a 95-100 points restoration.
I doubt any early Ford can be purchased as a wreck and rebuilt professionally as a 100 point car and a subsequent sale cover the cost. Goodness me the to limit for the best T sold in the last couple of years was the 1909 which went for $130,000. Another early T went for less than $100K, yet these were absolutely unique vehicles. Currently a 1910 parts car is on the market at $30K leaving $70K for everything else. Just a professional job paint job on the west coast can run close to $20K so now we're down to $50K for labor, which is less than 500 hours. It just does not compute...
It is much more financially advantageous to buy a completed car, but where is the fun???

(Message edited by Tony_bowker on January 19, 2017)

(Sorry about all the edits)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Thursday, January 19, 2017 - 02:55 am:

Jesse,

Thanks for helping out a friend ... :-)

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Thursday, January 19, 2017 - 08:43 am:

"Its a sad fact but the restoration of most common vehicles is not a profitable proposition."

You're right, Tony. I know I've never made a profit on one. But I had fun building them. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Thursday, January 19, 2017 - 09:50 am:

Well, someone's made a profit on 'em, after all, they started out around $400-$800 depending on model, and now we're paying upwards of $20K+ for 'em!

All I'm saying is, if "we" all keep this mindset that they're not gonna ever be worth any more than they are now, well, then they WON'T. Look how easily the stock market is influenced by various opinions/fears...not hard to talk an entire country into a deep recession.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Thursday, January 19, 2017 - 09:52 am:

Life is unfair. That includes Model T prices. This appears to be a very well done and desirable car, but I agree the asking price is very optimistic. It may sell for that much but I think such good luck is very unlikely.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Codman on Thursday, January 19, 2017 - 10:04 am:

Jay Leno once said words to the effect that the car hobby is an activity where you can purchase a car for $3,000, put $50,000 into it, and it will be worth $13,000.
Bear in mind that the present value of $800 (in 1922) is just about $11,000. If a restored T was selling for $20,000 today, nobody (except possibly the shop that restored it) made any money.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Govoni on Thursday, January 19, 2017 - 11:25 am:

Never, never, never add up your receipts on a restoration project. I've got a 64 Imperial that I love. Had it since 1990. I bet I have several thousand in it. It looks great drives great but sadly is still worth about 5000.00. Don't care I still love the car and will continue to add to my loss. Ha!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Thursday, January 19, 2017 - 01:55 pm:

Car restorers should never own a calculator.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Friday, January 20, 2017 - 10:15 am:

Inflation is a fact of life. In 1971 a fellow in our local car club showed up at an event with a nicely-restored 1917 Runabout. It was cute as a bug! He said he bought it in Tulsa and had paid $2,500 for it. At the time, I couldn't believe anyone in his right mind would pay that much for a Model T. :-)

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration