Electrical system down

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Electrical system down
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brooks Schlieben on Thursday, January 19, 2017 - 10:40 am:

Had the 1920 T running this morning. Turned over several times and started right up.

Ran for about 20 minutes, then I turned it off to monkey around with installing a back tail light. First tried to turn on the headlamps, and they won't go on. Then attempted to beep the electric horn, and that failed too. Coils will not buzz.

It will crank with plenty of juice. It can't be a dead battery.

I'm stumped. Help? Thanks!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Patterson-Nicholasville, Kentucky on Thursday, January 19, 2017 - 10:42 am:

Fuse?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brooks Schlieben on Thursday, January 19, 2017 - 10:46 am:

Where would I find it? I thought maybe that, too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Thursday, January 19, 2017 - 10:47 am:

Check the connections in/out of the ammeter or switch. Bet somethings loose.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Patterson-Nicholasville, Kentucky on Thursday, January 19, 2017 - 10:50 am:

Just a guess it has a fuse installed, but look at the yellow #12 wire connected to the bottom of the starter switch. Should be 25 amp.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brooks Schlieben on Thursday, January 19, 2017 - 11:22 am:

Connections are tight and dry.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Thursday, January 19, 2017 - 11:24 am:

Model T's didn't use fuses!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Thursday, January 19, 2017 - 11:40 am:

They didn't, but some do! It has been the practice of many to install a fuse in line just in case something shorts out.

Since you were installing a back tail light, retrace everything you did. Did you just replace a bulb? or did you run some wiring? How are the connections everywhere you worked on to install the light?
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Thursday, January 19, 2017 - 11:43 am:

Larry is correct, but the important word there is didn't. A lot of them do now. The recommended location for those installing a fuse is near the starter switch, so that's the first place to look, but if there is one it could be anywhere.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brooks Schlieben on Thursday, January 19, 2017 - 12:26 pm:

We are back in business!

Thanks to all who took the time to respond.

Tim - Poked around the ignition switch assembly. All was good. Except...

I know 'Ts had no fuses, but double checked to see if one hadn't been installed. None. This T is pretty stock.

While underneath the vehicle, I noticed the yellow wire to the battery cable connection had become disconnected from the clip. It was just hanging. Re-attached to the clip, and presto! Back with all electrical and coil capabilities.

Maybe Saturday will continue to play around with rear lights. Would like to get this baby on the road by the spring.

Many thanks, again, T-bees!

Oddly enough, this is the second time a wire has popped out of its clip. This happened several months back when I noticed the red magneto wire was also unattached.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stephen, South Texas on Thursday, January 19, 2017 - 12:50 pm:

Unless you're using a voltage regulator instead of a standard cutout, a blown fuse or loose wire on that main circuit can cause the generator to burn out. (If the circuit is broken/open while the engine is running.)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter Claverie, Memphis TN on Thursday, January 19, 2017 - 02:42 pm:

You use the terms "became disconnected from the clip" and "popped out of its clip." I'd like to hone in on that.

If you mean that the wire had a terminal on the end of it, and it had come out of the terminal but the terminal was still tightly connected to its post, this can be a tragedy waiting to happen. I'm going to assume that's what you meant.

If the main wire falls out of its terminal while you're running at speed, you can burn up your generator before you notice it.

If the magneto wire falls out of its terminal while you're on the road, you'll suddenly have a dead engine, and it might take you long enough to figure out the problem and switch to BATT to cause you a problem in traffic.

My suggestion is that you take every terminal on every wire in the car, and solder them to the wires. It's a great winter-time project, and can be done a little at a time as you have the time.

All you need is a decent-sized soldering iron, and some ROSIN-CORE solder. It's a simple job.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Thursday, January 19, 2017 - 02:45 pm:

time to solder the clips to the wires??

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Thursday, January 19, 2017 - 02:54 pm:

I see Peter beat me to it. Dial up is sooo slooow.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brooks Schlieben on Thursday, January 19, 2017 - 06:10 pm:

Great sugestions. Thanks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Thursday, January 19, 2017 - 10:01 pm:

This isn't exactly period correct, but it's easy, it works, and it beats a clutter of tacky plastic stuff.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By rick howerton on Thursday, January 19, 2017 - 10:14 pm:

Get your volt meter or test light start at head light and check backwards.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brooks Schlieben on Thursday, January 19, 2017 - 10:42 pm:

Thanks Rick and Steve - The pics are a big help. I have work to do.

Steve, really like the videos on YouTube and that '15.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Friday, January 20, 2017 - 12:44 am:

Brooks, slide the shrink tube down the wire first, it doesn't easily go over the end of the terminal!
:-)
(please, don't ask me how I've learned this)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Allen on Friday, January 20, 2017 - 03:24 pm:

It's been my experience with messing with old car electrical for a few decades that most problems are related to poorly done connections and out of those, poor grounds seem to be the most common.

The photos above show a good way to insure quality connections.

Simply butt by the crimp ends and crimping them is, in my opinion, just asking them to fail.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Allen on Friday, January 20, 2017 - 03:25 pm:

Good grief this forum could sorely use an edit function

Don't know how "buying" turned to "butt" in my post above...but it did

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John F. Regan on Sunday, January 22, 2017 - 01:25 am:

Do follow Steve Jelf's excellent pictures and ideas. I would suggest you do it ONE wire at a time so you don't accidentally switch any wires.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brooks Schlieben on Sunday, January 22, 2017 - 10:35 am:

Many thanks for the great advice. The first thing I thought of when my problem began was the forum. Within minutes I was getting responses.

It's kind of scary that just one disconnect literally shut down the T.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Schreiber- Santa Isabel Ecuador on Sunday, January 22, 2017 - 11:01 am:

Don, there is an edit/delete function in your user profile.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration