Silly newbie question about frame dimensions

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Silly newbie question about frame dimensions
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick Cicciarelli on Thursday, January 19, 2017 - 11:20 am:

I'm almost embarrassed to ask this but was the same frame used on all body styles (runabout, touring, coupes, etc) or was a longer frame used for the touring and sedans?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Thursday, January 19, 2017 - 11:22 am:

Same frame, only the stack # of spring leafs changed.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick Cicciarelli on Thursday, January 19, 2017 - 11:53 am:

Do we have a list of #springs per body type?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Thursday, January 19, 2017 - 11:59 am:

http://www.mtfca.com/encyclo/S-T.htm#spring

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick Cicciarelli on Thursday, January 19, 2017 - 12:26 pm:

Thanks!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Thursday, January 19, 2017 - 08:27 pm:

Rick,

Dan is correct that for any given year the standard runabout, touring, coupe, sedan body will fit the frame. There were a few exceptions. and of course the gas tank would be in a different location for some bodies etc.

There were some minor changes in the 1909-1925 frames but just about any 1909-1925 body will fit any 1909-25 frame (the fire wall brackets and the location of the front running board brackets were different for the 1911 Torpedo Runabout and Open Runabouts; and while the rear cross member changed during 1913, the 1909-1925 body will still mount fine; and a few other changes in holes for the brackets, hood clips, etc.). Thanks to John Reagan for providing the drawing of the 1909-mid 1913 frame drawing (the body brackets are in the same location through 1925 model year) at: http://www.funprojects.com/pdf/FPIframe.pdf

The 1926-27 frame made some major changes to where the body mounts were placed as well as where the front fenders mount and the width of the rear cross member etc. See: http://www.wescottsauto.com/WebCatalog/Tech/FrameDiagram1926-27.pdf

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Thursday, January 19, 2017 - 08:41 pm:

Thought this stenciled frame was interesting - perhaps due to spring configuration as Dan referenced above ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Thursday, January 19, 2017 - 08:43 pm:

They are all the same as far as dimensions are concerned or the 26-27s have been that I have had. Tim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Thursday, January 19, 2017 - 08:47 pm:

Lots of these forum members really know these cars you will get the correct info. This forum is how I keep my cArs running. Not any T people close to me and there is no T club that I know of. Welcome to the forum. Tim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Menzies on Friday, January 20, 2017 - 07:37 pm:

I had a 15 frame that was used as a tractor for cultivating, with the constant stress on the cross member it eventually pulled it back about one inch. It was not visible to the eye, however the bell assembly would not come together. After diagnosing the situation I had determined the cross member was out of alignment. This had been used extensively because the rear housings had holes where the chain were wrapped around.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration