Wooden Pickup bed

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Wooden Pickup bed
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Lance Stevens on Thursday, January 19, 2017 - 11:40 am:

Hi Ladies and Gents,
This whole hobby is so new to me and these cars are decades off of what I grew up playing with but I am sure hooked and have met some real interesting people. I have a 1923 roadster that I would like to build and install a pickup bed for. I am looking to accumulate the iron parts for it, I have found a few. I really don't want to have to buy one of the kits, I think they're a little bit too spendy but if I have to I will eventually, but face it, the hunt for the parts is all part of the fun. Any help or direction will sure be appreciated. Thanks,Lance

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Thursday, January 19, 2017 - 11:59 am:

Contact Dave Huson
Phone 303-774-9246
he is out of Colorado if anyone would have all the irons he would

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Thursday, January 19, 2017 - 12:02 pm:

Welcome aboard! Love your profile picture. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By charley shaver- liberal,mo. on Thursday, January 19, 2017 - 01:09 pm:

lance. you can get every thing you need from witmers coach shop in new Holland. pa. very resonable.charley

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marc Roberts, York, Pennsylvania on Thursday, January 19, 2017 - 08:12 pm:

Lance: I have the same idea but have yet to start collecting the parts. Please keep us advised. Perhaps you could lay out what you find and take a picture.

Charley: I don't live far from New Holland. I will try to pay a visit to Witmer's and let you know how it goes.

I have always wondered what degree of finish these beds might have had when new. I think one would look good made of boards straight from the sawmill, stained with waste oil diluted in gasoline.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Thursday, January 19, 2017 - 08:59 pm:

Welcome to the forum. Tim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Friday, January 20, 2017 - 12:42 am:

The boards were probably at least sanded. I have the remains of a Perry pickup bed and the boards are smooth. Green paint on them, very dull green paint!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Lynn on Friday, January 20, 2017 - 12:28 pm:

Many different beds were available over the years. Here is mine. Share photos as you go.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Friday, January 20, 2017 - 02:03 pm:

Mark, that is one fine looking workhorse!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Friday, January 20, 2017 - 02:12 pm:

If you really want to get fancy, make it a dump bed! Among other things, it make battery access easy. :-)

pic1

pic2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Lynn on Friday, January 20, 2017 - 08:28 pm:

Thanks Dallas.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Lance Stevens on Friday, January 20, 2017 - 10:45 pm:

Thank all of you soooo much for responding. Thanks for sharing all of the pics, I will do the same as I progress. one thing I hadn't thought of was the spare tire, now I know. I also wondered what the finish was when new, I have seen them painted black. I am so impressed with how helpful all of you are. Happy to be part of it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Saturday, January 21, 2017 - 12:01 am:

Lance, mine turned into what I call a short-box T pickup built with the finest used lumber the burn pile could provide for a fresh rebuild.

short box

It's a great pickup and gosh the fun we've had!
Your RPU (pickup) is wide open to your imagination. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Saturday, January 21, 2017 - 07:46 am:

Woooo!! What a worker. Tell me about those wheels Duane. Great pic .

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Lance Stevens-Mulino, Oregon on Saturday, January 21, 2017 - 12:06 pm:

Duey and Mark Those pu's are outstanding. I love them in original as found appearance. My lady friend thinks I have flipped my lid. She comes from a family that had a large car collection when she was a youngster and just remembers all of the broken down roadside education. I told her that's a lot of the fun and from here on out I'm driving a model T all the way to the promised land, should take a while!

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration