Old Photo Postcard - President Johnson's Model T Ford And Family

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Old Photo Postcard - President Johnson's Model T Ford And Family
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Thursday, January 19, 2017 - 07:26 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Thursday, January 19, 2017 - 07:36 pm:

I never cared much for ol' LBJ, but now I may have a slight change of heart. Slight, but a change! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Doolittle on Thursday, January 19, 2017 - 09:35 pm:

"Ol LBJ got me drafted, and sent me to the DMZ. He is not one of my favorites.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Jefferson, Ohio on Friday, January 20, 2017 - 08:26 am:

The card states that the Ford family presented him with the car because his father owned one...My dad had a Model A Coupe so do you think there is a chance they will present me with one? I'll park it in my library when I die! :-)

(Well it's not really a library I only have 3 books and two of them are comic books and I can't pronounce the title of the third one so I never opened it)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Friday, January 20, 2017 - 09:05 am:

I went on a tour of the LBJ ranch in the early 1970's right after he died and the car was inside the house shown behind the car on the postcard.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Blake, Kansas City on Friday, January 20, 2017 - 11:49 am:

President Johnson kept a 4-door convertible Continental at the ranch too. For part of my time working as a field service engineer for Ford, I was based in Dallas. I had the chance to rub elbows with some Ford old timers who from time to time would be dispatched to the LBJ ranch to perform service on his Continental. Seems he thought nothing of using it as a hunting vehicle, often taking it off road. They related that the top needed frequent adjustment. Surprising ;)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Clayton Swanson on Friday, January 20, 2017 - 11:59 am:

he also had a 34 pheaton complete with bar and gun racks in the back seat

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warren Henderson, Dunbarton, NH on Friday, January 20, 2017 - 12:14 pm:

Good one Dennis. I am the 1st Ford man in my family, I started with a 50 Ford convertible back when I was in high school. I now have 3 Ts in my garage (I know how Sambuca got there, but other two '26s, just showed up one day) maybe the Ford family will put one of my Ts in their garage.

Happy motoring,

Warren

Sambuca
Sambuca

Seabiscuit
Seabiscuit in Copley Square

Sweet Chariot
Sweet Chariot

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Darel J. Leipold on Friday, January 20, 2017 - 12:38 pm:

Is the Johnson T a 1910? What serial number?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Darel J. Leipold on Friday, January 20, 2017 - 12:40 pm:

My first car is my 1910. My father bought a 1922 T Coupe new. His second T was a 1925 T touring. He then bought a 1928 Whippet.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter Eastwood on Friday, January 20, 2017 - 01:14 pm:

LBJ's T looks to be an '09. The door handles are placed lower on the door than late '09's & '10's

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Friday, January 20, 2017 - 01:25 pm:

If you want to inspect it in person, it's here:

http://www.traveladdicts.net/2015/03/lbj-state-park.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Darel J. Leipold on Friday, January 20, 2017 - 02:02 pm:

It seems to be a 1910 model Model T. 1910 running boards. John Brown model 60 side lights. Lips on the fenders. Later radiator (high neck) Body seems same as my 1910.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By george house . . .caldwell county, TX on Friday, January 20, 2017 - 02:38 pm:

An' I happened to be on that tour in June of 1970 with my '23 Ford touring - which was my first tour. It was the 17th Texas Tour (not Texas T Party). For a long time LBJ 's touring was displayed at his presidential library in austin. Then, in January 1973, I got a day off in the army when he died.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kirk Peterson on Friday, January 20, 2017 - 03:41 pm:

Saw LBJs car at the library the day before the 06 T Party. A couple years later saw some neat Fords at the Ranch including a 40s hunting car and an amphibious car

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Friday, January 20, 2017 - 03:54 pm:

Went to see the LBJ library when it opened years ago. Its not far from where I live. We saw the T but what was more memorable at the time when we went to the ranch. I noticed a building with a slightly fading Continental sitting in a open sided shed. Wasn't much cover for a car that was used by the President was my first and lasting impression. There is a lot of mixed views about ol LBJ here in Texas.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Perry Goble on Friday, January 20, 2017 - 04:57 pm:

The LBJs Model T is a 1910. It was a gift From H Ford the Sec after LBJ told Henry II that LBJs family car when he was a boy was a 1910 Model T . LBJ and Henry became good friends. The last time I saw the car it was at the LBJ library . A few years back I helped with artifacts and my expertise in a exhibit on early electricity in Texas at the library .

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By brass car guy on Saturday, January 21, 2017 - 12:40 am:

I think I remember during his administration he had a 1957 Chevrolet that he would sneak out of the White House and cruise around DC. Seems is was a hot rod.

just sayin'

brasscarguy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Rogers - South of the Adirondacks on Sunday, January 22, 2017 - 01:07 pm:

Bttt

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration