REO car at the Arcade Hotel-Photo from Kansas

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: REO car at the Arcade Hotel-Photo from Kansas
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Herb Iffrig on Thursday, January 19, 2017 - 09:25 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Hagerty on Thursday, January 19, 2017 - 09:54 pm:

Neat shot! I get a sense the railroad is close by. The one fellow sure looks like a Conductor.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By dale w on Thursday, January 19, 2017 - 10:14 pm:

He might be the hotel porter.
The fella standing behind the 2 wheel cart has a bag like a doctor, but I don't see any coupes!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Mc Willie on Thursday, January 19, 2017 - 11:56 pm:

1909-10 Two Cylinder REO. Great cars when they were built and great cars for brass-era tours today.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Verne Shirk on Friday, January 20, 2017 - 12:35 am:

I'm not sure what Kansas town this was in.
Verne Shirk
Wichita, KS

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Allen on Friday, January 20, 2017 - 07:40 am:

Look at all the mud.

It's just seems to be ever-present in many old photos.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Friday, January 20, 2017 - 08:46 am:

Isn't that the truth, Don? Sometimes I think we forget how lucky we are with all our paved roads, even though 40% of 'em are in horrible shape.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Landry, Hudson, NH on Friday, January 20, 2017 - 09:58 am:

Newton, KS I believe. I can find pictures of the old hotel from the train side, but not the street side where this picture would have been - so no positive match. A newer(1930) building is there now.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Friday, January 20, 2017 - 10:03 am:

Take a look at the hat on the car driver. Do you suppose he was a hired chauffeur or perhaps a fellow operating his automobile as a taxi but with no markings?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Verne Shirk on Friday, January 20, 2017 - 01:20 pm:

Chris, I saw the Newton RR Depot come up also when I searched for the Arcade Hotel in Kansas. It is red brick and I don'the think there was an awning like that. I thought maybe Herb could enlighten us on how he determined it was in Kansas.
Verne

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Dix on Friday, January 20, 2017 - 01:43 pm:

Looks like the one in my garage, 1909. Mine is cleaner!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Darel J. Leipold on Friday, January 20, 2017 - 02:09 pm:

The man with the bag is not holding a doctor's bag. It is much too large. The bag he has is called a satchel.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Friday, January 20, 2017 - 02:13 pm:

Let's see some pictures, Jim! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ALAN FAIRCLOUGH from Houston, TEXAS on Friday, January 20, 2017 - 02:15 pm:

That is one thing that I find hard to believe in the cowboy movies. Picture this poor woman living in a wooden shack out in the middle of West Texas with nothing but dust for miles and miles, mud when it rains, dust when the wind blows, The house is spotlessly clean, she is wearing a long white dress, and here comes her man, kicks the door open, dusty, sweaty, muddy, in blows a cloud of dust and he leaves a trail of dirt everywhere he steps... and she is happy to see him.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les VonNordheim on Friday, January 20, 2017 - 04:22 pm:

Looks like the 1910 REO model D touring in my garage. Good picture showing the REO emblem on the radiator....large size compared to some I have seen.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Landry, Hudson, NH on Friday, January 20, 2017 - 04:22 pm:

Verne, I think the current building was built in 1930 or so, replacing another building. The Arcade Hotel was built in 1899-1900, and replaced another building that was built in 1883.

I had seen this picture from the train side and thought that maybe the original picture with the porch was on the street side.

. . . but then I found this picture and realized that I'm probably completely wrong.

Still a mystery!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Verne Shirk on Friday, January 20, 2017 - 06:44 pm:

I am somewhat familiar with the Newtown train station. My dad was from a small town 7 miles northwest of this area. When I was a kid, we'd stop at the train station after visiting my grandparents and watch the trains come in. (We'd also sit at the airport in Wichita and watch the planes take off & land AND sit in our car in downtown Wichita to watch the traffic & people walking...it was just what people did for entertainment in the 1950s & 60s.) The train station in Newtown sits at an angle with the street. The tracks are parallel with the depot. Chris, your first photo appears to be looking at the back of the station (track side) from Main Street. I think the second shot was taken by walking left from the first photo, up Main Street. What gets me is that the structure with the REO in it looks to be limestone or ??? The train Depot looks like it has maybe red brick. It could be in another town in Kansas but from searching on Google, I was not able to find a match. I wouldn't mind owning that REO!
Verne

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Dix on Saturday, January 21, 2017 - 04:10 pm:

Les,
How do you tell an '09 from a '10?
Jim

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration