Anyone mount a spotlight on their T? C.H. Foster Owl Light?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Anyone mount a spotlight on their T? C.H. Foster Owl Light?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Brough on Thursday, January 19, 2017 - 09:26 pm:

I have this C.H. Foster The Owl Light with no mounting bracket. Could not find any images of this light mounted on a T, but did find these two print ads. My guess is that it would mount to the drivers windshield post.
Mine works off the 6v battery, but I have not installed it yet.

Anyone run a spotlight on their T. Hod did you mount yours? And, how did you wire yours. ie., separate switch or to come one with headlights?

Any input greatly appreciated. Want to mount on my WWI military vehicle, so I can mount almost anywhere. I'm even thingin of mounting it direct to my machine gun mount so that it would swivel with the gun. Can't imagine the filiments will take the recoil abuse, but it's a nice look.

Thanks in advance.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Val Soupios on Thursday, January 19, 2017 - 09:41 pm:

I have one on my '27. It came with a bracket but it did not conform to the windshield post so I made one up. The switch for the light on mine is part of the unit. I ran the wire to the battery terminal on my switch. I would wire it with a separate switch as I don't think you would want it to come on automatically with the headlights. .

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Brough on Friday, January 20, 2017 - 08:35 am:

The only reason I suggested wiring to the headlight switch is that the advertising for The Owl Light centers around the limitations of a fixed headlight and how your eyes swivel during the day while driving, but are forced to stare straight ahead at night due to the fiexed headlights, hence, the owl light that you can swivel. Sounds like this was meant to be more of a third headlight that you could swivel than a ture "spotlight" as we know then today. Certainly does not seem much more brighter or focues than the headlgiths.

But a separate switch sounds good to me. In fact, since we are going to replace the wiring, we may add a toggle or pull switch right to the light base itself rather than a remote switch.
Thank you for the photo.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Friday, January 20, 2017 - 09:09 am:

I have one on my '17. It is brighter than the magneto headlights when the engine is idling. Handier than a whistle on a plow.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Friday, January 20, 2017 - 09:44 am:

Have these also, back in the day they were called 'ditch lamps', that is the lamp was used to cast a beam over the hood, in front of the driver to shine on the shoulder of the road.

Kept you from running off the road at night, as hanging a wheel into a soft shoulder with a Model T is no fun. Wire hot lead to separate switch, ground passes thru lamp mount normally. Mount near where the driver can re-position if needed.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Friday, January 20, 2017 - 09:49 am:

WE have one on the '14 touring as well. Again very handy, practical addition. Especially when it's getting dark and you don't want to stop and get the carbide lamps going.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Manuel, Lafayette, La. on Friday, January 20, 2017 - 09:56 am:

Well, I was trying to mount one on my old truck but everything went wrong. I found just the one on ebay-right patina, complete and reasonably priced. Got it in and immediately dropped the domed lens on the concrete. Undeterred I gathered up the pieces and super glued them back together. The result reminded me of the lamp in "A Christmas Story" but I didn't give up. Carefully removed the bulb to test continuity and dropped it on the concrete. I went back into the house and went to bed. This morning I found a lens and bulb which may work and I will try again. Now this may be helpful--I learned that the bulb was specifically for a spotlight. It has a pre-focused base and the filament is not like that in a headlight. If your light isn't bright that may be the problem.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Brough on Friday, January 20, 2017 - 12:33 pm:

I know the ad for The Owl Light mentions using their special bulb, but that might be just a sales pitch. We got it to work with the std T 6v bulb, but will hit the auto parts store to see if a different bulb may work better.

6v is going to be the limiting factor has been my experience on the WWII jeep I have.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Howard D. Dennis Byron, Georgia on Friday, January 20, 2017 - 01:23 pm:

Robert, don't fall victim to the 6 volts stinks crowd. How bad could it have been if automakers used it for half a century? Some of our cars are still using it even though they are over 100 years old! I myself ran a 1936 Dodge through many NY state winters and it never failed to start even though it was always left outside. My difference was I always kept the system clean and well maintained and used the proper sized cables. If 6 volts was such a bad system none of these cars would be around for us to enjoy today.

Howard Dennis

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Manuel, Lafayette, La. on Friday, January 20, 2017 - 01:32 pm:

The bulb I'm talking about is 6 volts. It is a GE 1323 single contact. The base is a flange with three holes which fit over posts in the socket. I don't know if the socket in your light takes that kind of bulb but if so, they are available in a headlamp style which is a different # and the 1323 for spotlights--if I understand all this correctly.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Friday, January 20, 2017 - 08:25 pm:

Mine is a nickel plated brass Appleton brand. You can still see part of the waterslide decal on top.I discarded the clumsy clamp-on bracket and made one to use the existing pillar bolts.

I love the action of the rotary on-off switch.

There is something in the need for a special globe. To get the best focus, the fillament needs to be axial. Most globes have the fillament across the bulb. Using one of these will sometimes allow the fitting of a flat replacement lens.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeff Perkins / St. Croix Valley Mn on Friday, January 20, 2017 - 09:22 pm:

My BLC spotlight is mounted to the back of the sidelamp and has a post that runs down to the running board.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeff Perkins / St. Croix Valley Mn on Friday, January 20, 2017 - 09:25 pm:

Another view of my car showing the spotlight.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick in Florida on Saturday, January 21, 2017 - 09:59 am:

Here's how I installed my Fyrac Spotlight through the windshield in 2011. The T is so narrow you will have no trouble reaching it even on the passenger side and it is easier to operate, not having reach through around or over the steering wheel. Jim Patrick

www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/179374/211340.html
www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/257047/322121.html
www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/179374/242654.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank Shore on Saturday, January 21, 2017 - 09:09 pm:

Jim, I see you did this project in 2011. Have you had any problem with the glass cracking out from the hole since it was installed? I wanted to have a hole cut in mine when had the glass shop installed the safety glass, he said it would crack since it would be close to the edge. I have the same spotlight that you installed however I am not sure I have the courage to drill the glass myself. Thanks Frank

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick in Florida on Saturday, January 21, 2017 - 11:20 pm:

Hi Frank. No I have had no problem with the glass cracking in the past 6 years. I guess I was so dumb back then I didn't know to be worried. LOL! Seriously. I don't understand where your glass man gets his information. Maybe he was worried he did not have the skill or confidence to do it. It is a time consuming job that must be done very slowly to prevent overheating of the glass and bubbling of the adhesive and he may have not wanted to spend the time necessary to do it. I can understand his concern if it was single paned glass, but, with double paned safety glass, with the adhesive sandwiched between the panes, I see nothing to be worried about. I'd do it again, but that's just me. I'd hate for you to take my word for it as to how safe and easy it is and then you break your windshield, for it is a distinct possibility that can occur if the hole saw is not precisely perpendicular to the glass or you try and go too fast. Just be sure you install the hole high enough above the bottom of the windshield frame so that when the windshield is tilted out, the handle of the spotlight clears the dash. Mine is a little low but the handle clears the dash when I open my windshield, if I turn it sideways. Jim Patrick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank Shore on Sunday, January 22, 2017 - 06:30 pm:

Thanks Jim, I might try cutting on a piece of old safety glass I have first. Thanks for the tip on the location I would not of thought of it until I was done.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank Shore on Sunday, January 22, 2017 - 07:00 pm:

Thanks Jim, I might try cutting on a piece of old safety glass I have first. Thanks for the tip on the location I would not of thought of it until I was done.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Sunday, January 22, 2017 - 11:12 pm:

Frank, you cannot cut safety glass unless it is the laminated variety. The toughened safety glass will simply shatter if you try to cut it.

Laminated glass does not like cutting/drilling near the edge, as cracks can develop over the short distance between the hole and the edge.

The best answer may be to have the screen cut and drilled, and then have it toughened.

Allan from down under.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration