Woodwar Ave. Detroit 1917

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Woodwar Ave. Detroit 1917
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary H. White - Sheridan, MI on Thursday, January 19, 2017 - 11:02 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By dale w on Thursday, January 19, 2017 - 11:36 pm:

The Hotel Pontchartrain on the corner of Fort and Woodward Ave., in the area known as "Cadillac Square". Built in 1907, torn down just 13 years later, in 1920!

I believe the belching smokestacks in the distance are from Ford's River Rouge plant.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Grabowski on Friday, January 20, 2017 - 12:18 am:

Same area different angle

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Barchock Plymouth, Mi on Friday, January 20, 2017 - 08:21 am:

Dale,
Those are not the Highland Park smoke stacks, the photo looks down Washington towards the Wayne County building.

In the above photo Woodward runs right to left, meaning the left is North the right is South.

The Soldiers and sailors monument has since been restored and moved south about 100 feet or so.

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.3314493,-83.0546673,901a,20y,90h,41.42t/data=!3m1!1e3

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Friday, January 20, 2017 - 08:27 am:

Wow, what a beautiful building that used to be. What a shame it was torn down. Wonder why, in such short time. Really curious as to what was the area with the 3 rows of windows in the top mansard roof.

What a beautiful bustling area that it USED to be. Yeh, I know it's coming back, but not with the ambiance of the early 1900's.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Alan Pfau on Friday, January 20, 2017 - 08:40 am:

My grandfather use to drive a streetcar for Detroit and that's the first time I've seen a picture of one. Great photo and thanks for posting it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Landry, Hudson, NH on Friday, January 20, 2017 - 09:39 am:

http://historicdetroit.org/building/hotel-pontchartrain/

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By dale w on Friday, January 20, 2017 - 09:50 am:

Tony,
So, those stacks are to the N. EAST roughly up the Detroit River towards Lake St.Clair.
The Rouge would be Southwest then, behind the vantage point of this picture. I wonder what factory that could have been then, or maybe it is the Detroit Edison power plant

The Mansard roofed 5 story addition was added in 1909 and included a 2 story ballroom, 4 private dining rooms (frequented by all the Detroit automakers) and 150 more rooms.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter C. Strebeck on Friday, January 20, 2017 - 10:05 am:

Those are not the Rouge or Highland Park. The Rouge was not built yet and it's location would be behind the back of the photographer (West) much farther away. Highland Park would be to the Photographers left (North) going up Woodward Ave and not in view. The building to the right of the Wayne County Building (with the stacks and smoke) is the Boydell Building. The Boydell Building was the original home of The Dodge Brothers machine shop.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Thomas Mullin on Friday, January 20, 2017 - 03:19 pm:

I believe the Boydell Building (still exists) is at the corner of East Lafayette and Beaubien. That would be to the left of the Old County Building in the background.

This image shows the same area at about the same time in 1917, but looks more northerly along Woodward Avenue from Michigan Avenue, in front of Old City Hall (demolished ca. 1963).

campus Martius

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration