Wrinkled rear center and fenders?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Wrinkled rear center and fenders?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ignacio Valdes on Friday, January 20, 2017 - 12:10 am:

So my 1922-23 body has dings and wrinkles in the fenders and the rear center. The rear fenders are not level. The front fenders both have a crease in the same location so I think it ran or was pushed into a flat wall at one time. Options a) 'Patina' leave it alone. b) Body man straighten? Can they do much with this? c) Buy better originals? d) Change out the rear center panel for this: https://www.modeltford.com/item/S108.aspx How hard?

Rear center touring wrinkles.
Fender wrinkles.
Fender wrinkles.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By gene french on Friday, January 20, 2017 - 12:24 am:

Ignacio:
the steel looks to be very solid and unless there is a lot being covered up by the current paint , I think I would work with what I currently have ...replacement parts can be had and in the long run may be more economical , I would still give these a try ...always an optimist...gene french

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Killecut on Friday, January 20, 2017 - 05:42 am:

Fix the originals. The repro rear panals are not the same,don't know about repro fenders but would prefer repaired originals.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Allen on Friday, January 20, 2017 - 06:58 am:

You may want to consider buying a set of body working tools (you can get them in sets fairly cheaply) and try working some of that out yourself.

Find some other dented sheetmetal to practice on for a while then give it a go.

I taught myself how to use hammers and dollies to work out dents on one of my former old car projects and it's really not as hard as it seems.....and even kind of fun.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stephen, South Texas on Friday, January 20, 2017 - 07:26 am:

Typical body repair rates:

$35/hr.
$55/hr. if you watch.
$75/hr. if you help.
$100/hr. if you tried to do it first.

A good body man can knock those out in a few hours. An exceptionally good body man will use little or no body filler. You have to ask yourself if it's worth your time to learn a new trade.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Codman on Friday, January 20, 2017 - 10:12 am:

Those dings look as though an amateur has already been there. As has often been said, it is easy to do more damage then the accident did. The photos seem to be an example of that maxim. The parts can be repaired, but best by someone who knows what he/she is doing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Friday, January 20, 2017 - 10:25 am:

Different view points on what to do for sure. Hopefully the wood in the bottom of the rear section of the body is stiil good enough to work around and with if the metal is pushed and hammered to get it back in shape. The fender wont be to hard to do.

I would do what D Allen says and buy a set of dollies and hammers. You can get some at really reasonable prices at Harbour Freight Tools.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick Duquette Grand Forks, ND on Friday, January 20, 2017 - 10:35 am:

From what I'm seeing in your pictures you will need to do some heat shrinking as well as hammer and dolly work as others have mentioned. Otherwise you are just moving the stretched metal around, and will end up with too much filler to make it look ok. If you aren't used to heat shrinking and dolly work you may want to consider farming it out. Might be cheaper and less frustrating in the long run.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick Duquette Grand Forks, ND on Friday, January 20, 2017 - 10:35 am:

From what I'm seeing in your pictures you will need to do some heat shrinking as well as hammer and dolly work as others have mentioned. Otherwise you are just moving the stretched metal around, and will end up with too much filler to make it look ok. If you aren't used to heat shrinking and dolly work you may want to consider farming it out. Might be cheaper and less frustrating in the long run.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ignacio Valdes on Friday, January 20, 2017 - 10:39 am:

Thank you for the feedback. Like painting I find body work to be frustrating because I just can't seem to get it 'right' so I would rather a pro give it a shot.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Fischer - Arroyo Grande, CA on Friday, January 20, 2017 - 12:04 pm:

Unfortunately, most modern "body men" just take bent fenders off and put new fenders on. If they can't get a new part, they smear bondo. Actual straightening of damaged sheet metal isn't as common as it once was.

So you will need to ask around before trusting your precious metal to someone for repair. Not that it can't be done. Just need to find a skilled person.

Dick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Friday, January 20, 2017 - 08:40 pm:

I'm kind of lipping off right now (or am I?) but in a very perfect world, perhaps we may have already seen an old photo of Ignacio's touring involved in a sandwich wreck some 80 years ago. Maybe?
Please think of the next few lines in the way The Days of Our Lives, Peyton Place or another Daytime Drama (Billy Idol-listening to it right now) may have been advertised way back when. But please think about this. I'm crap at doing it tho.
Ignacio's car being the mangled meat between the bread of the other two cars? Here we go:
Did the rear axle get crunched/hit/broken and it helped to save the body in a sandwich crash? Since the rear end has been changed out to the '13-'14... That rear axle was readily available from a buddy or the junkyard ...
Did Sam beat the front fenders back into shape? Ready for the next owner to paint over the crashed fenders?
Did Barbara know she may have had something to with the crash?
Did Randall realize the front end would need to be replaced? We've seen those photos of T front ends flattened and the wheels sideways.
Perhaps?
Ignacio, I'm not you but for me, I'd leave those wrinkles, dings and straightened out (ha!) front fenders as a reminder of what your Touring has been thru up until now for you to be its caretaker and rejuvinist. That's just me tho.
Duane
Like!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By michael gift on Friday, January 20, 2017 - 09:18 pm:

I think you will need to do some heat shrinking as well as hammer.
I have cool led clock https://goo.gl/VDzjSs

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary H. White - Sheridan, MI on Friday, January 20, 2017 - 09:59 pm:

What does your clock have to do with this forum?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ignacio Valdes on Friday, January 20, 2017 - 10:04 pm:

Car has a name now. Shirley.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Friday, January 20, 2017 - 11:53 pm:

Shirley you jest!!
:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James G Fisher III Peachtree City, GA on Saturday, January 21, 2017 - 07:30 am:

I'm thinking I need the LED clock...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ignacio Valdes on Saturday, January 21, 2017 - 02:53 pm:

No and stop calling me Shirley.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gerry .D .Best (NZ) on Saturday, January 21, 2017 - 03:43 pm:

Hi Folks. yes the work to be done can be fixed take your time think about and just get in and do it. I have just done my model T r/pickup and the mud gaurds and thay were dump materal.but i couldnt find any others so i cut out and welded in and thay have turned out really good. One gaurd was made out of three rusty old gaurds. You can do it.
Cheers Gerry (NZ)

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration