'26/27 Emergency Brakes

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: '26/27 Emergency Brakes
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Murray on Friday, January 20, 2017 - 04:48 pm:

Are the stock large drum emergency brakes robust enough to be used as service brakes using Lang's part #2566BEQ Foot Brake Equalizer without causing extreme premature wear or failure?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Friday, January 20, 2017 - 05:17 pm:

Jack, I believe they would; at least I plan to do so on my seldom driven 27 coupe. I do have the rear disc brake setup on my 26 fordor which is set up for touring. The late Ralph Ricks, well known to the T community, used them as I recall on his "little yellow truck", but he didn't use stock linings. As I recall, he told me he used bonded lining that were applied by a shop in California.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chad Marchees _____Tax Capital, NY on Friday, January 20, 2017 - 05:21 pm:

Yes, but you set them up to still use the transmission brake. This is the setup my pick will have on it, I have almost all the pieces now. I am using a Rocky Mountain equalizer though with the slotted brake pedal link to accomplish though. I saw a local club member use it and have seen others on here use this setup with good success.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Val Soupios on Friday, January 20, 2017 - 06:16 pm:

That is how I have my '27 set up. The rear brakes do most of the stopping and the transmission brake kicks in for emergency stops. I am also planning to add Rocky Mountain brakes because the self actuating feature is a big plus on those long steep hills

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Friday, January 20, 2017 - 06:36 pm:

I wouldn't think they would last very long as service brakes unless you relined very often. They only have a narrow woven lining and a rather flimsy shoe. They are better than the earlier small drum brakes but still should only be used for parking or in an emergency. The drums are also quite expensive and if you score them they are quite thin and wouldn't take much turning down. Either the Rocky mountain brakes which wrap around the outside of the drums and are very visible to the eye for inspection or the disk brakes would be a much better brake.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Friday, January 20, 2017 - 06:40 pm:

I would much rather change out the lining on the rear hub brakes than tackling changing out the transmission service brake - most of us aren't getting any younger and laying on the floor of my T is a chore I'd rather do infrequently !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Friday, January 20, 2017 - 11:00 pm:

Ralph Ricks had thousands of miles of city driving as well as cross country driving on his yellow pickup when I asked him about the bonded linings on his pickup. Maybe his son recalls what California shop did the work.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By JohnH on Saturday, January 21, 2017 - 01:43 am:

I have used my 1926 rear drum brakes as the service brake since I got the car 14 years ago. It seemed crazy not to. Much better that putting all the stress on everything between the rear axle and transmission drum, and having to reline the transmission brake frequently. I've done about 34,000km. Relined the rear drum brakes once about two years ago, so lining and drum wear has not been an issue. They work extremely well and I can descend fairly long hills into the nearby valleys without any problem. Using the handbrake instead of the pedal is 2nd nature.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Whelihan Danbury, WI on Saturday, January 21, 2017 - 07:36 am:

I have the equalizer set-up on my '26 touring. The rear brakes work OK at best. I used the regular vendor brake shoe linings and was not happy with them. So, I switched to friction brake linings from McMaster-Carr. The required considerable fitting to get them to work correctly. They do stop better than the transmission brake, but my plan is to add Rocky Mountain brakes on the car just as soon as the budget allows.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A. Golden on Saturday, January 21, 2017 - 09:01 am:

They are called emergency brakes, because if the are applied in a panic situation, your T will do circles on the pavement, if the brake rods are not properly and evenly adjusted, kind of like NASCAR drivers do, after they win a race.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Warren on Saturday, January 21, 2017 - 10:36 am:

I have a large drum axle in my race car. It has a model a engine, so no factory brakes. I installed long two sided cams that I made and hooked the foot brake peddle and hand brake lever (using a slot in the linkage) to them. Both applications work as good as my factory T brakes.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Murray on Sunday, January 22, 2017 - 09:13 am:

Thanks everyone for your thoughts. This is my first T, and came to me with a Ruckstell and no auxiliary brakes...and I'm looking to see what options I have for installing aux brakes before the 2017 driving season. In the meantime last fall I got in a few weeks of practice driving including stopping with the handbrake, which I found surprisingly effective considering the many stories I'd heard from my dad and his brothers about my granddad's "adventures" from 30 years of driving Ts! I'll pull the drums when the weather gets warmer to see the conditions of the brake internals; it was implied when I bought the car that the Ruckstell was recently restored, but without references the only thing I really know is that the rear axle got a coat of paint...

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration