NY City subway fire 55th st. 1915

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: NY City subway fire 55th st. 1915
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary H. White - Sheridan, MI on Friday, January 20, 2017 - 09:51 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Blake, Kansas City on Saturday, January 21, 2017 - 06:55 am:

Great photo.

What I find most interesting is the truck in the lower left of the picture. The rear is not visible but it seems pretty clear it's some kind of cab over engine design. Can anybody identify it?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Saturday, January 21, 2017 - 09:06 am:

Another pic for OSHA reps to freak out over...first you gotta put up fall protection, then get out the fans, keep all people 300 feet away, THEN you can proceed to put out the fire. If there's anything left to save that is!

I'd love to have that Buick sign!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Saturday, January 21, 2017 - 09:12 am:

Hi Gary,

I can't identify the make of the truck, but I am rather sure that it is electric powered as they were usually forward controlled (cab over).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brian Beatty _Kansas City on Saturday, January 21, 2017 - 09:23 am:

More pictures of the fire/cars here:

https://viewing.nyc/vintage-photograph-of-1915-subway-fire-on-broadway-and-55th- expertly-colorized/

One has been colorized and is rather neat.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Jefferson, Ohio on Saturday, January 21, 2017 - 10:36 am:

I can't believe that they let that lawyer park his car on top of the fire hose so close to the subway trench!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Justin H. - Western PA on Saturday, January 21, 2017 - 11:36 am:

Gary, Buick made open express trucks like that (~1911) with the engine under the driver seat.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Allen on Saturday, January 21, 2017 - 12:44 pm:

Looks like that Touring Car has snow chains on the rear tires.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Allen on Saturday, January 21, 2017 - 12:46 pm:

.....but then again.....maybe not....the stripes on the tires don't go around the rims.

They only seem to be going around the rubber tires

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Lenney Glenn on Saturday, January 21, 2017 - 01:13 pm:

What are the long vehicles? They don't resemble emergency vehicles, but I suppose they are. I enjoy looking for horses in these old photos. Anyone notice the horse and buggy across the street?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Saturday, January 21, 2017 - 01:17 pm:

Hi Don,

The tires on the touring (Buick?) could be some version of a block tread tire. The ad below shows a solid truck tire, but there were pneumatic passenger car tires of this general type available.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By charley shaver- liberal,mo. on Saturday, January 21, 2017 - 02:03 pm:

i have a nos pair of those tires for my 15 gram bros formatruck. charley

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Blake, Kansas City on Saturday, January 21, 2017 - 02:55 pm:

Bill

Ah yes, that likely explains the box behind the cab. Full of batteries no doubt. So instead of C.O.E , it's a C.O.M (cab over motor).

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration