Break over prevention

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Break over prevention
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tommy coffey on Saturday, January 21, 2017 - 06:42 am:

I understand that a modification was made to the steering column in '21 to make steering breakover less likely. My car is a 21. I plan to remove the steering wheel and lube the gears before the first drive. What do I look for to see if my car has the update? Anybody got pics? Thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Herb Iffrig on Saturday, January 21, 2017 - 08:20 am:

There is a groove inside of the gearbox. It is in the bottom of the gearbox in a partial circle. One of the pins that the gears spin on is longer that the other two and that pin travels in that groove. This groove limits the travel because the pin will hit the end of that groove either going left or right.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tommy coffey on Saturday, January 21, 2017 - 08:22 am:

The column in my car may be later than '21. I believe that my car has been updated with a starter, generator and battery that it did not have originally. It has oil lamps and non-demountable wheels.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Thomas on Saturday, January 21, 2017 - 08:58 am:

Not too hard to see if your car has this. Just remove the steering wheel and then the cover to the gear box. There may be a round head 6-32 screw there that you need to back out. Once the gears are exposed, clean the grease out. By moving the shaft a bit, you will see if there is a groove in there or not. The gears are marked with a 5 if they are the later 5/1 ratio. the 4/1 gears are not marked.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Saturday, January 21, 2017 - 09:21 am:

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/118802/178734.html?1293727614

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tommy coffey on Saturday, January 21, 2017 - 09:53 am:

Thank you.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration