10000 mile trip, March 1917 in an Overland-Photo

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: 10000 mile trip, March 1917 in an Overland-Photo
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Herb Iffrig on Saturday, January 21, 2017 - 08:44 am:

Or is it just over land?

Charley will know.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Jefferson, Ohio on Saturday, January 21, 2017 - 10:40 am:

I'm confused, since when is Zanesville Ohio on the coast?

And why are they camping in my barnyard? I get up to let the cows out and can't get past some stranger who has his tent set up by my barn!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By charley shaver- liberal,mo. on Saturday, January 21, 2017 - 12:05 pm:

not overland, i think dodge but the frt fenders dont look right. charley

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By dale w on Saturday, January 21, 2017 - 01:11 pm:

Charlie,
That is what I see too- a Dodge-like car (radiator shell, cowl/windshield configuration, headlight placement) but with those weird, squared off front fenders!
Unfortunately, Edna's hand is casting a shadow over the maker's emblem.

Maybe it is just the lighting, but those fenders also look ALOT glossier that the rest of the car- possibly they were new parts fitted from something else???

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Saturday, January 21, 2017 - 01:28 pm:

RE: glossy fenders

The fenders probably had baked black enamel whereas the body paint was air dried.

Fords had the same "problem." Anything with baked paint - hood, fenders, radiator shell, splash shields, running boards - typically remained bright and shiny much longer than the body which dulled quicker over time.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Sunday, January 22, 2017 - 01:16 am:

Does look very "Dodge Bros" to me

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Sunday, January 22, 2017 - 01:48 am:

Wrong fenders for Dodge. Also, headlights too low, radiator and hood too high.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Verne Shirk on Sunday, January 22, 2017 - 01:49 am:

Even though the photo says Overland, I believe it is about a 1917 Oakland. People often interchange the names.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Patterson. Australia. on Sunday, January 22, 2017 - 04:05 am:

I've been able to Google up several images of Oaklands with the exact same radiator shell shape and squared off fenders. But none of them have a windshield that shape. They are either curved across the bottom edge or have straight up and down posts.
My bet is its an Oakland, around 1920 - 21.
Cheers,
Rob

(Message edited by rob patterson on January 22, 2017)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Sunday, January 22, 2017 - 07:57 am:

Hey if it's a 20 or 21 model 10000 miles had to be a exhausting trip but fun. Tim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Walter Higgins on Sunday, January 22, 2017 - 08:45 am:

Check out the big honkin' box on the running board. I have two like that that I bought some time ago to store tarps. Never could figure out what such a tall narrow box was good for.... besides storing tarps.

Has anyone ever seen an ad for such an era accessory or do you think that's something the car owner fabricated?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Jefferson, Ohio on Sunday, January 22, 2017 - 09:07 am:

They had running board kitchens about that size.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Verne Shirk on Sunday, January 22, 2017 - 10:15 am:

On closer inspection, I think it is a 1916 Oakland. The changes from year to year in the Oakland from 1916 to the early 1920s have not been well documented. The car in the photo above has a 1917 tag on it. The windshield appears to have been one of the changes from 1916 to 1917. Also perhaps the addition of a radiator lower apron.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Sunday, January 22, 2017 - 11:22 am:

On the postcard, "overland" is an adverb that qualifies the adjective "coast to coast," not the make of an automobile.

"10,000 mile overland coast to coast trip"

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration