Radiator mounts???

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Radiator mounts???
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Saturday, January 21, 2017 - 12:03 pm:

Can someone tell me the measurement center to center for mounting holes on radiator 1926. Please!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Saturday, January 21, 2017 - 12:09 pm:

21 1/2"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Saturday, January 21, 2017 - 12:17 pm:

Thank you Bill. Im a little hot with radiator shop!!! My earlier post ( they blew it ) explains so far. My $658 recored radiator measures 21 inches. I had 2 radiators in the shop so they had one to look at!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Saturday, January 21, 2017 - 12:44 pm:

Hi Dallas,

I have followed, with interest and despair, your travails with the radiator shop. I hope that they can get their act together OR admit that they can't.

That measurement, 21 1/2", is rather important. It needs to be checked on the frame as well. Given the poor roads of the era and the terrible pounding received by these poor little cars, it is not uncommon to find that this frame measurement (center to center) has increased as the front crossmember bends open. It is easily fixed with a bottle jack and a length of chain.

The steel bar running across the Ford radiator is there for a reason; it helped to strengthen the radiator core from being pulled apart by the miserable roads of the period. Good luck with your project. Bill

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Saturday, January 21, 2017 - 02:20 pm:

Thanks Bill. Im about to pull my hair out over what should be a straight forward thing. Of course they are not open today.
Its 35 miles each way to go to shop. The fact they had another radiator to use as a pattern is what burns my a$$!! I guess You live and learn. Another $200 and I could have had a new one but that doesnt always turn out good from what I have read on forum.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Saturday, January 21, 2017 - 03:30 pm:

It's important too, to check the front cross member, which may have sagged over the years.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Saturday, January 21, 2017 - 03:38 pm:

Frame measurements are good. 21 5/8 center to center on holes the best you can measure with tape. A little out but not bad.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Anthonie Boer --- Klaaswaal NL on Saturday, January 21, 2017 - 03:43 pm:

As Bill H wrote it is easily to fix with a Bottle Jack and a chain.
Toon
578R

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Saturday, January 21, 2017 - 06:43 pm:

Dallas, I'd fix the crossmember while you have the radiator out. The one on my '25 coupe is just 1/16" too wide and it makes the lower apron just barely fit. JMHO Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Saturday, January 21, 2017 - 08:17 pm:

I made the modifications to radiater including making the holes larger to fit mounting hardware. Without the steel cross piece in the core I was able to spread sides enough to fit. It is no where near as strong as old core. You can flex core by grabbing top of radiator and twist. It is mounted and not leaking . Of course I havnt filled it yet!!! Couldnt bring myself to return to radiator shop... afraid to let them touch it again.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Saturday, January 21, 2017 - 11:46 pm:

When I put my '16s chassis together, I also mounted (temporarily) the front fenders. Although I had measured the frame diagonally to insure being square, I forgot to measure the distance between front frame rails. I had to do something very similar to Anthonie's arrangement. Gee, the radiator "fell" into place, and now the fenders were level across their tops too!
Always learning something "new" with these cars!
:-)

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration