15 CENTS OF COOL!!!

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: 15 CENTS OF COOL!!!
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Sunday, January 22, 2017 - 01:29 pm:

Radiator recored and installed. Waiting on parts for rear axle rebuild. Front freeze plug started leaking after vinager treatment this summer. So after claning up mess from rear axle I tackled the issue. Indian Joe and his trusty buffalo is in place. Reworked manifold gasgets while I was at it. Red RTV on all to seal it up good. One of the gasgets slipped on earlier install and pinched off center, so I had to file burr off so it would fit. Was actually pretty easy. A little fileing for right fit and some RTV and done.thanks to all who post these project for us new guys to try.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Sunday, January 22, 2017 - 01:36 pm:

Kind of ironic that the plain plugs cost more than the old currency! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Sunday, January 22, 2017 - 01:37 pm:

Is this where the term "plug nickel" comes from ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Sunday, January 22, 2017 - 01:45 pm:

Im good with that theory. Plug and play for sure.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Sunday, January 22, 2017 - 02:05 pm:

As I heard it back in the day: "Not worth a plugged nickel"

=========================================

Interwebtionary says:

------------------------

"Not worth a plugged nickel"

Meaning: Worthless.

Origin:

Plugs are the holes made in coins, which is then filled with a cheaper metal.
Coins so tampered with are no longer legal tender and are thus worthless if
spotted. The phrase is, of course, American. Before 'plugged nickels' there
were 'plugged quarters' and 'plugged dimes'. The various versions of the phrase
appear in the 1880s. The nickel, being a lower denomination coin, lends itself
better than quarters and dimes to a phrase expressing worthlessness. Oddly
though, the lowest denomination coin is the cent and the phrase 'not worth a
plugged cent' doesn't appear until later. The earliest I've found for that is 1908.

[For those not familiar with US coinage; a quarter is 25 cents, a dime is 10 cents
and a nickel is 5 cents.]

The earliest of any version of the phrase that I can find is from The Daily Nebraska
State Journal, 14th September 1883. This indicates the illegitimate nature of
plugged coins:

"No," said a Philadelphia conductor, "I never attempt to pass a plugged quarter
on a man unless he's got his Sunday girl with him. Then he's afraid she'll think
him mean if he get's mad.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stephen, South Texas on Sunday, January 22, 2017 - 02:12 pm:

"Kind of ironic that the plain plugs cost more than the old currency!"

Maybe, maybe not. :-)

quote:

The price of a buffalo head nickel can be anywhere from $1 to $14,000, depending on the coin quality, year minted, mint mark, and whether the coin is in certified mint state (MS+).

Source: http://cointrackers.com/search.php?q=buffalo+nickel

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Sunday, January 22, 2017 - 02:12 pm:

These are worthless as coinage now ! To hard to carry being attatched to an entire engine. Wont go through vending machine with that big cup hammered into it. I agree plug nickle!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Sunday, January 22, 2017 - 06:05 pm:

Your car will always be worth at least 15c.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Sunday, January 22, 2017 - 06:15 pm:

Norm,

You bring up a great point. I have been doing 50's cars so long that I well
remember them as being given away, fifty-dollar "beaters", and occasionally
being PAID to get them off the property. Now, they command some stupid
money. A car similar to my DeSoto was sold last week for $250K !!! WTF ? !

I often tease the crowd that has come up behind me to discover these cars
by saying my car should be worth at least $500 now. It is sad when the big
money moves in and all these cars become paperweights, never seen on the
road. Hidden away in collections. I long for the days when they WERE just
old junkers that nobody wanted.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Sunday, January 22, 2017 - 10:47 pm:

Longevity Dallas!
15 cents (or a couple bucks) goes a long way still these days. :-) No rusting out!
My '13 nickel (at last look) was worth about $2.00. IF I could find the darned thing, I'd stuff it in a hole. A T freeze plug hole. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Sunday, January 22, 2017 - 11:19 pm:

The buffalo nickel is a great coin, but it has one design flaw. The date is on a raised surface where it eventually wears off. Once the date is gone, the coin has little collector value. The last ones I bought were about 25 each.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Sunday, January 22, 2017 - 11:31 pm:

Sounds like a perfect excuse to use them as plugs ! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Monday, January 23, 2017 - 11:27 am:

Along the line of what Burger said about the De Soto. Back in the 1950's when I had just graduated from High School, Ford came out with the Thunderbird. At the time I was driving a Model A which I had purchased for $50. I sure liked the Thunderbird! I used to tell my friends, I will get one when the price comes down to $50 like this Model A.

I am still waiting:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George Mills_Indian Rocks, FL on Monday, January 23, 2017 - 11:49 am:

But Steve,

Back when we were kids we use to dip the Buffalo Coin into some kind of over the counter acid and the date would magically re-appear....lol

p.s., I'm a little slow on the uptake...I JUST NOW found out why Lifesaver 5 flavor tastes a whole lot different than when a kid...they changed a flavor or two in the 5 flavor roll over the last 7 decades!...

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration