Lets have some fun...

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Lets have some fun...
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Blanchard on Sunday, January 22, 2017 - 02:00 pm:

Look guys, a rare 1908 FORD tiller steering!
WHAT!
Rare as hens tooth...
Someone needs to tell this guy what he really has!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1908-Ford-Other-TILLER-QUAD-/391682365675?forcerrptr=tru e&hash=item5b321698eb:g:8~EAAOSw5cNYgZog&item=391682365675

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Sunday, January 22, 2017 - 02:06 pm:

Disc brakes and honda motor??? I didnt know Honda was that old !!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Sunday, January 22, 2017 - 02:12 pm:

Someone already had their fun.
Buyer Beware.
Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Sunday, January 22, 2017 - 02:15 pm:

I checked The Book. Pre-1909 tiller-steered Fords often incorporated post-1970
lawn mower engines, Japanese motorcycle wheels, and Toyota differential/axles.
Use of galvanized EMT and fittings for top assemblies was standard. All the welding
appears to be period as well. Looks like the real deal for anyone who likes to eat their
own stool. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Sunday, January 22, 2017 - 02:29 pm:

So it is a real collectable ? Like petrified poop !!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Sunday, January 22, 2017 - 02:38 pm:

Ayuh, hen's teeth

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank van Ekeren (Australia) on Sunday, January 22, 2017 - 03:21 pm:

And it's not even April the 1st!!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Sunday, January 22, 2017 - 03:28 pm:

Has 6 bids. Oh my. What are we all gonna say when the new owner comes here to ask advice???

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick Cicciarelli on Sunday, January 22, 2017 - 03:35 pm:

It'll make for a unique looking golf cart

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Sunday, January 22, 2017 - 03:39 pm:

Oh, dear!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brian Beatty _Kansas City on Sunday, January 22, 2017 - 03:58 pm:

WhooHoo

Just noticed this one is about 5 miles from my house! No shipping costs for me! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Eubanks, Powell, TN on Sunday, January 22, 2017 - 04:01 pm:

Ever notice that these super rare cars on tbay always have sorry pics. Somebody did a interesting job of MFG this rare bird.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeff Hood -Long Beach, California on Sunday, January 22, 2017 - 04:34 pm:

I've seen several of those, but usually they are curved dash Olds replicas built using old riding mower parts, engines, and transaxles. Sometimes they even have reverse! Original? No. Accurate? No. Rare? Kind Of. Old? Maybe. 1908 Ford? Not Even Close!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Sunday, January 22, 2017 - 06:38 pm:

I happened into that listing my first day back with a real internet connection. Has GOT TO BE ONE OF THE WORST I have ever seen! I do not know if they are still there or not, but nearly half the photos I saw did not look like they even could be from the same pile of %#!+

Rare? You will never find another one like it. THANK GOODNESS! As a worthless pile? It is one of millions.

Now, maybe I should say what I really think?

However, please try to be kind.

Me.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Sunday, January 22, 2017 - 06:57 pm:

Funny, but a LOT of people have built these go-karts over the years, and
it seems it was some acceptable norm to find "cutesie" in making them
resemble unfamiliar early automobile forms. Was it promoted in old "craft"
type magazines ? It has never made any sense to me. What makes old
stuff cool is the old. A phony mock up with modern parts is just a bundle
of disappointment that it isn't what it is pretending to be.

Why not just get something old and cool and do it right ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Sunday, January 22, 2017 - 07:06 pm:

The undercarriage frame photographs are not even from the same car. They are from a truck or something. That is a re-bodied Surrey or Merry Olds 1901 Oldsmobile Replica or similar, made in the 50s originally with a Cushman engine.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham on Sunday, January 22, 2017 - 07:26 pm:

I think my favorite part is the top bows made of electrical conduit . . . complete with connector.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George n LakeOzark,Missourah on Sunday, January 22, 2017 - 10:23 pm:

As our friends in Oz would call it : "It's a Bitzer Mate."

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jem Bowkett, Spalding United Kingdom on Monday, January 23, 2017 - 02:30 am:

I think you're all being most unkind. It has a Model T axle so it must be a Ford.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Monday, January 23, 2017 - 03:06 am:

Burger, You asked. My answer.
Yes, such things were published in a variety of magazines. The HCCA has always had trouble with these. Literally hundreds of such things were built, some as early as back in the late '20s and '30s, most in the '50s. Many of the people building them did not understand that what they were doing was building a replica (of sorts). The HCCA from the beginning was dedicated to preserving the original cars. Sorry, no way your replica was built before 1916. What is worse, is that many people that built these things, KNOWING what they were, created wonderful stories to surround the car. Family members would grow up believing the stories, and often WILL NOT believe the facts about the recreations.
Side story. I had one of those great uncles. He was in WWI, the Great War. He LOVED to tell fantastic tales. Even when I was seven, I knew enough to not believe all his stories. According to him, he and his buddies marched into Berlin, and walked up to the Kaiser kicking him in his shins. He said it like it was true, he swore it was true. But I had figured out Santa Claus by the time I was four, because I looked at a world globe and knew where San Jose and Modesto were, and did the math. (Santa Claus is magic, and does the whole world, time zone by time zone, in the blink of an eye!)

Over the years, I have talked with several family members with cars and a family story. How Henry Ford cheated their great grand uncle out of all the royalties. That is why their uncle's car has parts that look like '20s model T Ford in spite of the FACT that their uncle built it in 1894. Henry COPIED them. Sadly, SERIOUSLY, I have run into that with four different cars that I saw in person over the years. I have seen such ads in print and online more than a dozen other times. If I have seen it that many times. How many other people I have not seen have done the same thing?
I used to try to politely tell people on eBad that their listing was misinformed. A few people thanked me. Numerous others sent me scathing replies about how I had slandered uncle so and so. A few "professional sellers" continued (some for years) to list the car with now fraudulent claims. (They were politely told with information anybody could have verified, and THEY claimed to be professionals.) Some people cannot be helped.
People are strange things. Sad.

And another sad fact is, things like that can be a lot of fun for not much money. As long as it is not misrepresented. Especially when an effort is made to sell it. But, like you, I would rather have the real thing.
And besides, LEGALLY, now, a lot of those things ARE antique automobiles (more than 25 years old!). But they are still NOT 1902, or 1904, or 1894.
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chadwick Azevedo on Tuesday, January 24, 2017 - 10:22 am:

Just remember these stories make for great movies and are "based on actual events"

For example you did have a great uncle, there was a WWI, Berlin exists, and there was a Kaiser. The rest is "creative liscense"

Just remember the 4 stages of Santa Clause

You believe in Santa Clause
You don't Believe in Santa Clause
You are Santa Clause
You look like Santa Clause

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Codman on Tuesday, January 24, 2017 - 10:34 am:

It was on the internet, so it must be true.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Tuesday, January 24, 2017 - 04:57 pm:

Chadwick,
And he did LOVE to entertain people with his wild tales!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Wednesday, January 25, 2017 - 12:57 am:

Wayne,
Just read your posting and today I was inventorying the local theatre's Pipe Organ parts in city storage. In the same building is a 1960's Bliss Surrey, a replica of the 1902 curved dash Oldsmobile. This car has the builder's plate and the "surrey" nameplate on the curved front. It was donated to the Bolt's Tool Museum as an original 1902 car (even though it has a Cushman Engine in it, and a metal body) as verified by a local Antique Car dealer, and because of his documentation, has California Horseless Carriage license plates. Now Bliss built over 500 of these, and they are pretty well documented, but you think I could fix this mess (this was back when I was the City Museums' Curator)? It's a neat vehicle, but it's no "Horseless Carriage."

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Stokes on Thursday, January 26, 2017 - 05:06 am:

You people are really awful.

Now I can see where school bullying originated.

This car is a genuine UK 'barn find'. If you take the trouble to look at eBay UK, you will discover that there are lots and lots and lots of barns in Britain. Lots. It's true. Most old cars on eBay UK have been found barns. The reason for that is that the locals have only just started venturing out of their homes (and barns) following the Luftwaffe attacks of 1940 to 1942. They did try to come out of hiding in the '80s but then an old bat named Mrs Thatcher (who is NOT related to any bomb-damage roof repair enterprises) sent them all scurrying back inside in the knowledge that their aged and bomb-damaged roofs were unlikely to be fixed by HM The Queen.)

Right. That established,this car is genuine because it has Henry's 'Ford' signature on gold (the British were short of blue ink, at that particular time) on it. Therefore, it is real. It is. Really important people say so. It is.

And, it comes with a really shiny hazard triangle. Henry would've test driven the car sooner but Clara INSISTED that he take the triangle from the boot of the neighbour's BMW just in case the Quadricycle broke down. Yes - the German BMW. They're crap. They're not made in America and how they got in we don't know. But they're not coming any more. They're not American. They're not.

But Henry used this German triangle. There was no AA breakdown service in those days and, of course, now that her husband was a father, Clara was right to insist upon such safety precautions. The name 'Clara' sounds quite Germanic really. Are we sure she was American?

Anyway, this barn find also comes with a photo of how the car looked following that famous first drive. As we all now know, the Quadricycle (may I call it the Q, as Quadricycle is a big word, which takes so long to type and get the letters in the right order) did not have brakes. But as you can see this is the new, improved Q, with the extra bits.

Now here's the thing. Henry didn't sell the Q at all - he just told Clara that he did. And she fell for it. She was a bright girl - but not that bright. Important people know this - but it has all been kept quiet. They're bright. They are.

When the Fords moved out of Bagley Ave, Henry also moved his Bagley Ave shed. It's just that he didn't tell anyone. Especially Clara. At night he added bits to the Q as you can now see. He also added bits to the shed, so as the additions to the Q (that really is a big word) could be accommodated. This is when the shed became a barn. Hence, barn find.

Anyway, he added a roof to the Q. Fenders (which were insisted upon by the local testing station before Henry went driving it around the neighbourhood again). Brakes and a clutch and an accelerator. These bits did come at no extra charge when he bought the Honda motor, which he had discovered would slot straight in to his Q. He didn't say anything at the time - he couldn't. It was a secret. Especially from Clara. It was.

Lots of people asked what the H on the Honda motor stood for? Everyone marvelled that Henry had been able to cast al least one of his initials into the motor. He was clever. He was.

If you look really closely you will also see that the Q also has a horn. It does. It was available in the day from the local accessory shoppe. It was called a Trump It horn. It is quite loud. It is. It is still loud. People love it. They do.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Thursday, January 26, 2017 - 06:11 am:

It sounds like an alternative Barn.
Thanks for the input.
Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Thursday, January 26, 2017 - 09:33 am:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gilbert V. I. Fitzhugh on Thursday, January 26, 2017 - 09:53 am:

Oh, my! Political discourse hidden as humo(u)r! This forum's going to be GREAT again!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Thursday, January 26, 2017 - 10:28 am:

Hi John,

You sound like a bright person and I see that you have done your research bigly. You have. Believe me. The strong wall of irrefutable facts you use to protect the truth of The Barn is huge. It really is.

By finding your truth hidden in plain fright (yes, fright) you have brought the Barn Truth to a higher level than it has been for a long time. A long time.

We all need to look for and protect these barn cars. These forgotten cars need to have their story told. They do. We must do the work of telling those stories as no one else has done before. And it should start today.

Find that barn. Find That Barn. FIND THAT BARN!

(Do note the title of this thread.)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Stokes on Thursday, January 26, 2017 - 02:53 pm:

Bigly! BIGLY. Now that's a uge word. It's true.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John From Oregon on Friday, January 27, 2017 - 01:00 pm:

And now this, cut and pasted from the eBay description:

On Jan-20-17 at 06:57:31 PST, seller added the following information:
Somehow a few of the pictures of another listing that I have of the underneath have been mixed on to this vehicle. I will be adding 4 more pictures that will show the great condition of the underneath of this barn find vehicle. please disregard the underneath showing the axle and etc of the other listing. If you have questions, please let me know. I can also send more pictures of this vehicle by email if needed. Please call with any questions. Thank you!

So now we know he has TWO pieced together "cars"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Friday, January 27, 2017 - 01:18 pm:

At this point the 11th bid is $4,175. Could it be parted out for that: The vintage chrome motorcycle wheels and smooth tires, buggy springs, oil lamps etc.?

I see yard ornaments and "Man Cave" treasures that may cost that much. If someone is fooled into thinking it is a genuine piece of history that may be money well spent until reality sets in.

Also, are we sure that isn't where Steve Jelf has snuck off too?

Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Friday, January 27, 2017 - 01:23 pm:

Rich,

Steve has gone AWOL and has not been seen on base since 0800hrs.

You might be on to something here.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Allen on Sunday, January 29, 2017 - 08:55 am:

My guess is that is was probably put together in the 50's or 60's by someone who just wanted to build the thing....and not wanting to mislead anyone.

But, he's probably long gone and can't slap the ignorant moron who's now claiming it's a 1908 model.

For what its worth....the rear axle looks like a Dana used under 52-54 Ford cars.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration