Magneto charging help please

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Magneto charging help please
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Sunday, January 22, 2017 - 05:36 pm:

I have watched the videos and looked at the illustrations and it seems that a gauss meter is a very handy thing to have when charging the magnets. Where does someone find those nifty hand held analog gauss meters? Anyone have one they can loan me for a week?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Bowker, Ramona, CA on Wednesday, January 25, 2017 - 11:55 am:

I use a two pound iron piston, that is what is recommended in the MTFCA Engine booklet.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stephen, South Texas on Wednesday, January 25, 2017 - 01:49 pm:

I'm not so sure those were gauss meters. As I recall, the photos show they go up to 50 but the scale is undefined. 50 gauss is about the strength of the average iron-based refrigerator magnet. I would think the Mode T magnets would far exceed that.

There was a discussion on the meters a while back but I can't find it now so I don't know the final outcome or if a scale was determined. I think Steve started the old thread.

As Tony referenced, the piston test seems to be an acceptable gauge of full strength.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Philip thompson on Wednesday, January 25, 2017 - 03:28 pm:

hi mark philip here. i replied to your pm it may have gone to your e mail. any way you dont need a meter just follow the steps if your coils are good it will work. let me know if you got my e mail. philip

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Philip thompson on Wednesday, January 25, 2017 - 03:33 pm:

the 1156 bulb teat is also a good way of seeing if you are currently putting out any voltage at all
you can search magneto test light. philip

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Wednesday, January 25, 2017 - 03:49 pm:

Ha,ha,....some of the silly unintended "auto-correct" changes are funny! I'm sure you meant "1156 bulb test", right?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Philip thompson on Wednesday, January 25, 2017 - 03:59 pm:

yea i did

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A. Golden on Wednesday, January 25, 2017 - 05:31 pm:

Click http://gravitastech.weebly.com/ and scroll down a little.

They are shipped from St Louis, MO and cost under $100 with shipping, if the price has not increased.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Wednesday, January 25, 2017 - 05:53 pm:

Hey Phillip,

Yes, we finally connected. Crazy stuff ... I only ever have trouble with communications by forum members. Like the Bermuda Triangle.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Garnet on Wednesday, January 25, 2017 - 10:01 pm:

Bought mine from R.B. Annis nearly 10 years ago.

Garnet

http://www.rbannis.com/products/magnets.html

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration