Building my 1st car from a frame.

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Building my 1st car from a frame.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Batta - Dayton, Ohio on Sunday, January 22, 2017 - 08:04 pm:

Hi Guys. As many of us know on the forum, it can be hard to try and keep track of (subjective) valuable information over time. I know that I have also gone looking for one topic and wound up way out in left field and lost my focus.

The purpose of my thread is to try and keep a historical record of this project. I will post pictures as progress is made. I am sure I will be asking lots of questions and seeking advice. I am going to needs lots of parts and I will provide links to the want ads in the Classifieds.

Project Goal:
Build a 1926 Roadster

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Batta - Dayton, Ohio on Sunday, January 22, 2017 - 08:07 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Sunday, January 22, 2017 - 08:36 pm:

Scott, welcome to the build a car from the frame up club! Been there and done that. This is a great way to learn about your car. Wish I would have kept a record of the 1919 Roadster I built up from the frame with parts I acquired here and there for it. My cars are a 24 Coupe, 1919 Roadster and a 21 Touring.
I do have 2 nice 26-27 spindles. Don't have a T they go to. PM me if your interested.
Good luck with your build.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Sunday, January 22, 2017 - 08:59 pm:

I can't quite tell for sure? But it looks like an early '26 frame, used from the beginning of the model year (about August '25) until about spring of '26. Does the frame have a serial number on it? That began in December of '25. It is usually found on the top of one of the frame rails (can be either side, but is usually on the right side), near where the brake handle cross shaft is attached.
Many details of the '26/'27 cars changed quite a bit in those less than two years. It may make a difference in just how you build this project. Or not.
Regardless. Welcome to the affliction! And have fun!
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Batta - Dayton, Ohio on Sunday, January 22, 2017 - 09:26 pm:

Wayne, my frame number is 13071592

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Sunday, January 22, 2017 - 09:31 pm:

The engine that originally was placed in that frame was built January 19, 1926.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By brass car guy on Sunday, January 22, 2017 - 11:09 pm:

Because the search engine here sucks, I find using google it is far better.

Type in mtfca forum then the information you are looking for. Seems to be much more informative and you will get more in depth information.

just sayin'

brasscarguy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Sunday, January 22, 2017 - 11:26 pm:

That makes it an early, but not one of the earliest '26s.
How anal you want to be about that? Is up to you. I am not an expert on the "improved" model Ts. I imagine Donnie B (our resident early improved car expert) will chime in here a bit. How much may depend upon your level of interest and how many questions you ask. In that less than two years, Ford used at least four different headlamps, three different headlamp bars (and some headlamps didn't use a headlamp bar). Several different variations of rear end backing plates, brakes, and radius rods. A lot of era literature indicates that options like wire wheels and colors were available early, empirical evidence indicates that most early '26s did not have those options from the factory due to supply issues. By about June, those things became more common. However, it does not really matter to most hobbyists. If you want wire wheels? Any of the optional colors? Mix and match rear end parts? (even the drain plug changed) Go for it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Cameron Smythe - Australia on Monday, January 23, 2017 - 12:58 am:

hi scott just a question do all frames have a number or curtain years and models?
and if so where is it located
i have a 25 t
cheers
cameron

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Monday, January 23, 2017 - 01:47 am:

Cameron S, Canadian/Australian cars may be slightly different. The USA cars from the USA factories started getting frame serial numbers in December 1925. Prior to that, from early '15, the only serial number official to model Ts was the one stamped onto the side of the engine. Some body builders stamped body numbers onto them in various ways and different locations over the years.
To make matters even more confusing, a few USA states (including California) did stamp numbers onto some frames for registration purposes. But these were not Ford factory, and only official in those states. About half the model Ts I have had have had numbers that way. I have heard from reliable sources that California was doing this as early as about 1920, and personally read it in California vehicle manuals from about 1930. This was usually done when an engine was exchanged to replace a worn out or blown motor. So any year T may have had that done. Earlier brass era cars did also have a "car number" stamped onto a brass plate on the firewall. This number was usually close to the engine number, but rarely the same after 1909. Body manufacturer numbers on the body have no relation to the Ford factory serial numbers.
So, OFFICIALLY, only 1926 and 1927 model T Fords had a serial number on the frame. And at that, even the early '26 (August '25 through late December '25 production) did not have such a number. (I always have to be very careful to get that year correct, it is MODEL year '26, CALENDAR year '25!) (Somewhere, there is a forum thread where I slipped, and it is forever recorded WRONG!)
And, again, Australia and Canada may have been somewhat different.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Batta - Dayton, Ohio on Tuesday, January 24, 2017 - 10:34 pm:

Here are a few of the items I am looking for. If you are in OHIO or INDIANA, please take a look.

Chassis Items

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Wednesday, January 25, 2017 - 11:29 am:

For my retirement project, I created a late 1925 Runabout, with pickup body. I've always had a weakness for original Ford bolts, and this was my chance to put this weakness to good use. A good many parts for this car, including the bolts are New Old Stock. It took me seven years of spare time to do this, and I'm happy. I did the entire project myself except boring the cylinders.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Batta - Dayton, Ohio on Wednesday, January 25, 2017 - 09:22 pm:

Larry, thanks for sharing. It looks amazing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Hagerty on Wednesday, January 25, 2017 - 09:43 pm:

I'm detecting that 'New Model T' scent. Sharp truck!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Wednesday, January 25, 2017 - 09:50 pm:

Larry what I nice truck. Nice work. Tim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Wednesday, January 25, 2017 - 09:54 pm:

Scott I started with a frame and ended up buying a running car later but still plan to build my last 26 when I retire. Right now I still work 65-70 hours a week. I barely get to drive my old cars sometimes and do basic maintenance. I will have time in another few years when I retire. Tim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Thursday, January 26, 2017 - 03:04 am:

Larry's truck looks just as good, if not better, in real life.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Killecut on Thursday, January 26, 2017 - 06:15 am:

Larry, Nice job! I'm also a stickler for using original hardware, as well as everything else original Model T when I do a car. When I get done, I want a real Model T, other than upholstery, top, etc.that you obviously have to use.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Batta - Dayton, Ohio on Saturday, January 28, 2017 - 03:12 pm:

Got a Gas Tank.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Saturday, January 28, 2017 - 05:25 pm:

A set of straps for sale in classifieds. Thats a nice looking tank. Clean and seal inside, with a little paint and its ready.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Batta - Dayton, Ohio on Saturday, January 28, 2017 - 10:24 pm:

I am in need of a parking brake. See my add in classifieds.

Parking Brake

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jason Kuczynski on Tuesday, February 07, 2017 - 12:00 pm:

Thanks for posting!

I eventually will do the same thing you are. I have a frame I bought about 15 years ago. It cost me $25, and another $80 to ship it to Michigan from Texas. That's as far as I've gotten. Well, I do have a closed car cowl, but I don't know if I want to build a closed car or not yet.

I'll be looking forward to your progress!

jk

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Tuesday, February 07, 2017 - 02:53 pm:

Jason, your frame sounds like my player piano--the piano was free, just cost me $85 in gas (the truck was a guzzler), $35 for the U-Haul trailer and 4 months later, a hernia operation. . .
Be careful what you ask for!
Oh, and I love my player piano! (actually I have three of them now, but the "free" one was my newest--and Linda decreed; No Piano Moving for you!)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Tuesday, February 07, 2017 - 03:11 pm:

THREE hernia operations!!! No wonder Linda nixed any more piano moving! (:^) (......just kidding; I know what you meant!) Humor me,.....we're all but "snowed in" up here in the Seattle area!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Tuesday, February 07, 2017 - 04:13 pm:

HA! Cabin fever, eh? Is the snow "in town?" I'll have to email my niece up on Beacon Hill--they usually walk everywhere (even to the light rail station if they want to get out of the 'hood)!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Tuesday, February 07, 2017 - 05:19 pm:

"In the town, around the town, and all over the town!) I'm pretty sure that this one will prove to be a real "record breaker" as there are areas that got more than a foot of snow! One of my Sons, daughter-in-law and grand kids live in Bonney Lake, about five or six miles east of us here in Sumner, and Dan said he measured 13 and a half inches. And all that started right during the Super Bowl game! (....maybe that was some kind of an omen, huh?)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jason Kuczynski on Tuesday, February 07, 2017 - 05:28 pm:

David, we are kindred spirits, for sure. I've dragged that frame through 3 moves (looks like a 4th is coming soon)... It used to be strapped to my garage rafters, now it's alongside the garage. I talked to a guy last winter about this time about getting axles, but when the weather broke I got shipped to Europe and by the time I got back I lost his contact info. I've also joined the TPLEX Piquette Plant as a member in hopes of 'networking', but since being direct hired (finally!) after 5 years by "Uncle Henry" I spend a lot of my weekends at work.

Someday... soon... I keep telling myself...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John McGinnis in San Jose area, CA. on Tuesday, February 07, 2017 - 05:38 pm:

My latest TT project started with a frame I got for free-for-the-taking...40 years ago. It has moved 4 times and now it is standing in line for sandblasting this Spring. Meanwhile I have accumulated all of the remaining parts to make a complete '22 TT with a '22 touring cut-off body and a John Bean sprayer driven from a Warford PTO. It just takes time.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration