Transmission Drum and Drive Gear Puller

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Transmission Drum and Drive Gear Puller
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Dunlap - Orlando, Florida on Sunday, January 22, 2017 - 09:35 pm:

Earlier this month, I embarked on the journey to disassemble a transmission. When I last sought advice from the group, I was staring at three drums and was about to try to remove them. http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/708324/709834.html?1483565978

We spent several days over the past three weeks trying to fashion our own version of a transmission drum puller to save paying more than $110 for the part sold by the catalog vendors. Well, I am here to tell you that after spending way too many hours with one failed homemade remedy after another, we went ahead and purchased the Steven's style drum puller and drive gear puller.

Yesterday, I finally got a chance to use the new tool. After lots of penetrating oil and some heat, the Steven's puller succeeded where all of our other attempts had failed.

See the pick below of the puller removing the clutch disc. Clutch Disc

Today, I went out to see what I could do about removing the driven gear from the reverse drum. After watching one of the MTFCA videos on transmission rebuilding, I learned that the Steven's puller could be used to remove the driven gear. The bottom of the prongs on the puller kept flaring out, so I used a clamp to pinch it tight. After lots of penetrating oil and some heat and a lot of serious twisting with the wrench, the puller finally removed the driven gear. See pic below.

Driven Gear

If anyone is planning to remove these items from your transmission, you would be wise to invest in the puller.

I really wish we had just invested in this necessary tool from the outset rather than wasting so many hours trying it our own way.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Sunday, January 22, 2017 - 09:55 pm:

After a couple of failed versions, this worked for me. For the gear, so far a big three-jaw puller has done the job.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By bob middleton on Sunday, January 22, 2017 - 10:18 pm:

These can be realy stuck together both drum and the gear in the trans.
I'm with Mr Jeff 3 jaw puller on gear and for the drum I have an orginal puller

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration