OT Watching internal combustion

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: OT Watching internal combustion
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, January 23, 2017 - 08:43 am:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jdW1t8r8qYc&feature=youtu.be

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Will Copeland - West Melbourne Florida on Monday, January 23, 2017 - 08:51 am:

A long time ago I was at a hit and miss show and there was a guy there that had an engine made of pyrex, he said it was a training aid for a high school shop class back in the early 70's. Its was neat to watch it run.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Monday, January 23, 2017 - 09:16 am:

Interesting.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Corey Walker, Brownsboro TX on Monday, January 23, 2017 - 09:24 am:

Neat video. I guess if you ran out of gas you could run a hose from your Prest-o-lite tank to the carburetor. Or, maybe not, but still an interesting video.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Monday, January 23, 2017 - 09:47 am:

Hi Corey,

Prest-O-Light did have a setup to provide self starting to engines without electric starting motors.

And a thread about them:

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/179374/229019.html?1313166248

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Coiro on Monday, January 23, 2017 - 10:22 am:

One of the things I was surprised to learn (in flight school) was that there are no actual "explosions" taking place in an internal combustion engine. _That seemed counterintuitive, given what I've known about the nature of vaporized gasolineóbut okay, scientists and chemists are pretty smart dudes. _As most folks knew before I did, instead of the "explosion" described in the Ford owner's manual, there is a smooth burning which begins at the spark plug and the "flame-front" sweeps its way across the combustion chamber. _That takes a more or less fixed duration of time, which explains why timing needs to be set earlier for a higher engine RPM and later for a lower RPM. _I can intuitively grasp that now, whereas before, when my mistaken belief was in an instantaneous explosion, it didn't make sense.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George John Drobnock on Monday, January 23, 2017 - 10:51 am:

So, in theory. One removes the spark plug, spray ether into the cylinder. Turn the engine to create compression. If battery ignition, turn on the coil and the engine should start?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Monday, January 23, 2017 - 10:54 am:

Hi George,

Yes, a compression start, or as many folks here call it; a free start.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Hatch on Monday, January 23, 2017 - 11:41 am:

My Ford dealer was telling me that they are going to be making engines without starters. The brain will know which cly is on TDC and will inject fuel in that cly and spark it to start the engine. Where did they get that from?.

Also, that classroom engine is made by Megatech. Still made today for training. It comes with a dyno.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Paulsen - McPherson, KS on Monday, January 23, 2017 - 10:22 pm:

Here are a couple photos of the Disco brand starter that is fueled by the Prest-O-Lite tank on my Buick. It was factory standard.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration