Old Photo - Seeing The Forest Through The Tree

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Old Photo - Seeing The Forest Through The Tree
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Monday, January 23, 2017 - 10:41 am:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Pat Kelly Montana on Monday, January 23, 2017 - 10:52 am:

Jay, is that the tree that just want down?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dale Peterson College Place, WA on Monday, January 23, 2017 - 10:53 am:

I believe that this is the tree that just blew over in a storm in Northern California, sad.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allen Brintnall on Monday, January 23, 2017 - 11:41 am:

My Dad was stationed @ Fresno during the war and I remember riding through that tree in a Model A. Goes back a ways. Allen S.W. Mo.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Monday, January 23, 2017 - 02:11 pm:

Whether that's the one or not, my heart ached when I saw that on the news. But nothing stands forever.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Philip Berg on Monday, January 23, 2017 - 02:34 pm:

The tree that fell was one you walked through.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By dale w on Monday, January 23, 2017 - 02:47 pm:

If no one was there to witness it falling, did it make a sound?........

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Monday, January 23, 2017 - 02:52 pm:

"But nothing stands forever."

Here in New Hampshire we were bereft when our iconic "Old Man of the Mountain" collapsed in May of 2003.

A picture from the 'teens:

What they were looking at on the mountain:

What Daniel Webster had to say about this stone outcropping:

And a short video with a bit of history about "The Great Stone Face":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n92KjA7fn30

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Landry, Hudson, NH on Monday, January 23, 2017 - 03:06 pm:

The tree above is/was the Wawona Tree in Yosemite. It fell in 1969 at an age of approx. 2100 years. this picture is claimed to be 1918.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Monday, January 23, 2017 - 03:26 pm:

This is EXACTLY why we need more tree control laws, stricter background
checks for those who can own trees, and tree-free zones around all places
where people gather ! How many trees are right in our midst, just waiting to
fall down ? The police do nothing ! How many more children need to die before
we ban trees altogether ? This is an outrage !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Blanchard on Monday, January 23, 2017 - 03:45 pm:

I had a planned trip to see the tree that just fell with the family, even showed the kids pictures of the tree. They where excited... well, thats that...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Monday, January 23, 2017 - 04:11 pm:

Hundreds fell down during the last week from storms in San Diego County. As far as I know none of them had a tunnel cut through them.

A few years ago we were on vacation on the east coast and one of the places we went was the Old Man of the Mountain. A few weeks later it fell off the mountain!

Everything changes. People die, buildings are razed, mountains fall, and trees fall down, circuses close. But life goes on.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Monday, January 23, 2017 - 05:12 pm:

Norman,
Trees fall , mountians fall, circus closes foever? The model T is still here! Glass 1/2 full kind of thing and life goes on.
Has a better ring ?
Burger,
They would just put vinyl trees in their place. Then the price of oil would rise. The price of lumber would go down but we couldnt build houses because we cant buy vinyl siding. And how would they build all these plastic cars?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Schreiber- Santa Isabel Ecuador on Monday, January 23, 2017 - 05:19 pm:

Thank you Bill. From NH till 2004, The Old Man was a great loss

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Monday, January 23, 2017 - 05:26 pm:

Dallas, I'd like to put you in charge of building all my strip malls. Great understanding
of the problems at hand. I want those forests and pastoral scenes gone. Blight, toxins
and delicious artificial dessert toppings are to be the focus.

Don't forget people, effective spraying for birds and frogs needs to be done as soon as
the snow melts !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Monday, January 23, 2017 - 05:45 pm:

All your site plans have to use common core math!!!
EXAMPLE- IF YOU HAVE 4 PENCILS AND 4 APPLES.
HOW MANY PANCAKES WILL FIT ON THE ROOF?
PURPLE BECAUSE ALIEND DONT WEAR HATS!
Its all very simple to understand , unless you have any common sense.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Landry, Hudson, NH on Monday, January 23, 2017 - 07:36 pm:

What's the car in the last picture?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Monday, January 23, 2017 - 07:45 pm:

Exactly ! That's why you're MY man for the job !

Now, excuse my while I go hit myself with a hammer ....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Monday, January 23, 2017 - 08:01 pm:

A little more of my building skills- How many pancakes dose it take to shingle a doghouse roof?? 13 because ice cream don't have any bones! Are you taking bid;s yet?BR549.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Monday, January 23, 2017 - 08:17 pm:

Bud, I am still floating down any river in my wire canoe ... but off the top of my head,
I believe the pancake ratio is dependent on how long it would take a one-legged grass-
-hopper to kick the seeds out of a dill pickle.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Monday, January 23, 2017 - 08:23 pm:

Hi Chris,

I think that the car in the last photo in a Pierce-Arrow, perhaps 1911.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Hagerty on Monday, January 23, 2017 - 08:24 pm:

That's where I came up with the design features for the screen doors on submarines.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Hagerty on Monday, January 23, 2017 - 08:27 pm:

Bad timing, I was referring to Burgers wire canoe... not the gorgeous Pierce Arrow.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Monday, January 23, 2017 - 08:33 pm:

Why did Pierce ever think it was a good idea to put their
headlights IN the fenders ? .... UGLY !

This is a really good looking Pierce with freestanding head
lights. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham on Monday, January 23, 2017 - 09:30 pm:

I think the Pierce sales pitch was that headlight placement was supposed to be a big improvement in lighting the road ahead. New York State didn't buy it, though, the fender headlights were outlawed in Noo Yawk, and they had to market a conventional arrangement there. One thing about it, if you couldn't tell a Pierce any other way, the goofy fender lights were a strong clue !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Landry, Hudson, NH on Monday, January 23, 2017 - 10:00 pm:

Sure looks right Bill, although the headlights are set higher - probably to avoid whatever that is in front of them, which is . . . what? They're on this car also:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Aaron Griffey, Hayward Ca. on Monday, January 23, 2017 - 11:27 pm:

I read somewhere several years ago that the head lights in the fenders were an option and that cars without them were junked and cars with the option were pretty much saved.
Since reading that I have seen a few that did not have the headlights in the fenders.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Tuesday, January 24, 2017 - 03:59 am:

So much to comment upon.
I believe those are Westinghouse air shock absorbers. A quick google search says they were invented in 1912, but I did not confirm that detail (I actually remembered the name myself). They continued to be made and sold well into the 1920s, and were common on many marques of cars including Pierce Arrow. A good friend has a 1912 Pierce roadster that has them on it, and yes, the headlamps had to be raised slightly from factory on it also. Another long-time friend (sadly passed away a few years ago) had a 1921 Hudson with those shocks on it. Pierce began putting the headlamps on the fenders in 1913, but always (until the early '30s) offered it as optional with standard mound headlamps also available. I do not know, but suspect that in the last couple of years, Pierce may not have optioned other than fender lamps. Other car companies were by then beginning to put headlamps in front fenders.
During the '10s and '20s, a few other companies tried fender headlamps (including of all things Metz in 1914), but Pierce fiercely defended their patents. The last year for Pierce Arrow automobiles was 1936 if I recall correctly. Also, if I recall correctly, five cars were built that last year. They built camping trailers for a very few years after that.

About trees in general.
Just outside Grass Valley, I live on my little acre. It has about 150 trees on it, about 20 of them are large enough to destroy a house. It is a risk I choose to take. I love my trees. I have several Ponderosa Pines that are two feet through the trunk, and more than 60 feet tall.
If I disappear suddenly? It could be because of a tree falling? Or a forest fire? I don't worry very much about either one.

Most drive through trees are Redwood trees. Redwood trees mostly live naturally still in three areas of Califunny. The North coast, from Mendocino county North to Oregon, the Santa Cruz Mountains area, and Calaveras/Big Trees area. The giant Sequoia Redwoods in the Calaveras area are the broadest of the Redwoods, but not the tallest. Other varieties in both the Santa Cruz and North Coast areas are taller. Even they can reach trunk diameters of over fifteen feet. One famous ancient stump is over twenty feet across, and a hundred years ago, was sometimes used as a dance floor.
I have seen, walked, and even driven through several of them.
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration