Old Photo - Model t Era - Eddy's Service And Camp, 5 Miles North Of Redding, California

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Old Photo - Model t Era - Eddy's Service And Camp, 5 Miles North Of Redding, California
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Monday, January 23, 2017 - 10:52 am:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Monday, January 23, 2017 - 01:09 pm:

Buick. 26/27 maybe?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Monday, January 23, 2017 - 01:10 pm:

meant to say 25/26....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dale Peterson College Place, WA on Monday, January 23, 2017 - 05:00 pm:

Looks like MANY T's have been down that road, black strips in the center of each lane!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Monday, January 23, 2017 - 05:32 pm:

I am guessing this is along old US 99 as it heads towards
Dunsmuir from Redding ? This was the major N-S road going
up the inland coast, replaced today by I-5. Probably one
of the first paved highways in the region. What I would do
to be able to drive that road today !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeff Hood -Long Beach, California on Monday, January 23, 2017 - 06:27 pm:

Look at all of the oil down the center of the lanes!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stephen, South Texas on Monday, January 23, 2017 - 06:38 pm:

I can remember when all big city streets looked like that. The days of open crankcase vents went well into the PCV-Valve era on older cars. Sure made it tough on motorcycles and anybody out after a light rain. It was like driving on ice if you didn't stay in the lane tracking. I also remember having to wash the driveway at dad's gas station about once a week. Glad to see those days gone.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Walt Berdan, Bellevue, WA on Monday, January 23, 2017 - 06:44 pm:

A dollar's worth of gas and fill it with oil. The rings got worn and most engine seals didn't. Even in the mid fifties I heard folks complaining about the oil leaks on Y block rocker covers. Seems if they didn't leak the oil passage was probably clogged. The breather vents sent a lot of fumes down to the road too. After a dry spell there would have been a real nice sheen on the road.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Walt Berdan, Bellevue, WA on Monday, January 23, 2017 - 06:46 pm:

Stephen and I were typing at the same time. The station I worked at in the early 60's had a steam cleaner to blast the engine compartments and undercarraige. It got good use.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Monday, January 23, 2017 - 08:40 pm:

Burger,
Yes, old 99, but no where near where the current I-5 is today. Back then 99 followed the Sacramento River up the canyon. This area may still be above water, but it may be under a reservoir today. when I find the picture of my folk's place, I'll have to post it Gas pumps and cabins rented. We still rent the same cabins today. Dunsmuir Avenue is the old 99 highway.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Monday, January 23, 2017 - 09:44 pm:

Dewey,

I realize that 99 came up the east side of the valley, but by
the time you reach Redding, hasn't that east rim come substantially
west and the highway is choked up off the valley floor ? Or
did it stay low until the Shasta Dam went in, forcing them to
go high ??? I am trying to imagine where they would have
had the roadway five miles north of Redding at that time.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Tuesday, January 24, 2017 - 01:49 am:

HI Burger,
Yes, before Shasta and Keswick dam (that's the reservoir I couldn't think of), the road headed west out of Redding, then north. Parts of it still exist as local roads. The railroad also went this way. I suspect this photo is a location close to the lumber company that was in that area. Would be interesting to try to trace it down. Five miles isn't that far!
There is an old highway bridge under the big railroad trestle that could have been the first crossing of the Sacramento. It seems old enough.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Tuesday, January 24, 2017 - 11:57 am:

So, would I be right in thinking the original road followed the valley
into the area where the dam is today, forcing the road to go high, over
the hills ? It would make better sense. Anyone driving I-5 from Redding
to Dunsmuir with any sense for old school road building would think
this is not where the early road ran.

If memory serves, early N-S wagon roads to serve the early mining
activity ran even farther west, ultimately rejoining the 99/I-5 trajectory
up around Ashland.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Wednesday, January 25, 2017 - 03:16 am:

Well, if you want to go back even further, the driveway of my family's resort is the original California-Oregon stage road. It's at 90 degrees to the I-5 in front of the resort. The stage road went straight across the current highway and wandered up into the hills through what is now the Elementary School grounds (where my sister is a teacher). When I was a kid, the road was still visible as a trail that we would use mushroom hunting. The poison oak wasn't as prolific back then! The main resort grounds was the summer lodging site for a local Indian tribe.
As to going under the lake, just north of the large Bay Bridge the current highway uses was a Concrete arch bridge the old road used.
Here's a pic with the lake being filled and the new bridge in use. This is from the Living Gold Press "Shasta Lake's Hidden Highway 99 Treasures" website

A little farther from Redding is this bridge at a location known as "Pollack"; this was taken in 1978 when I was able to drive on the old highway to Salt Creek; a drive my model A likely did "back then." the straight line on the far bank you can just see on the left side of the bridge is the original SP railroad bed;

in 2014, the lake was low enough again to uncover this bridge, but note the changes in 36 years!

The bridge is almost completely silted in, and the road is washed out by the river, no way to make that trip again!

Even the road cut to the bridge is almost filled in!

Here's the same bridge back in the 1930s from above the cut (This too is from the Living Gold Press "Shasta Lake's Hidden Highway 99 Treasures" website)

The row of cabins is right about where the river is running in the 2014 pictures. My Model A and most of these pictures are going towards Salt Creek headed to Redding, so back to 1978 we'll continue down the road to a WPA rock retaining wall;

And finally the Salt Creek Bridge and almost onto the current road back to I-5. The shadow on the right is from the railroad bridge I'm standing under, part of the railroad re-alignment. If you look a the 1930s bridge image, the dark spot on the bridge near the bottom edge is soot from the trains on the mainline to Oregon that ran just under that end of the bridge.

On the old road, a trip from Redding to Dunsmuir was at least 2-1/2 hours (if you didn't get stuck behind a truck), and even when I was a little kid, the "new" road took about 2 hours. Then a lot of it was straightened out and the trip was a little over an hour; now with further straightening and widening it can be done (legally) in about 45 minutes.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Sean Butler Huntington Beach, CA on Wednesday, January 25, 2017 - 03:37 am:

I think the discussion herein is an excellent example of why the "Old Photo" posts should remain listed where they are. Thanks Jay, et al.!

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration