Headlight lubrication

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Headlight lubrication
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tommy coffey on Monday, January 23, 2017 - 12:24 pm:

I just "restored" my headlights so that the adjusters work again. I put a dab of dry graphite in them to make sure the sockets slide in the buckets as they should. The sockets ground through the buckets, right? I suppose graphite won't hurt. I have some wire brushes that really worked well for cleaning things like the internals of the sockets. They came from Harbor Freight. They are available in brass and stainless steel. I tried to post a pic, but could not.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Monday, January 23, 2017 - 12:28 pm:

I don't suppose the dry graphite will hurt but I used dielectric grease on mine.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Monday, January 23, 2017 - 01:01 pm:

Actually, sounds like a good idea tommy.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Monday, January 23, 2017 - 02:48 pm:

Dielectric grease is NOT conductive where as graphite is.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Monday, January 23, 2017 - 03:40 pm:

Headlight lube is on aisle 3, right next to the air cooled radiator caps and muffler bearings.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Monday, January 23, 2017 - 07:04 pm:

Damn, Burger, you beat me to the punch. While reading this thread, I was going to suggest that while he's lubing his headlights, he should oil his muffler bearings. It doesn't sound so funny now........

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Hagerty on Monday, January 23, 2017 - 07:12 pm:

You guys are neglecting one of the most neglected service points on the list of all things neglected!

That miserable darn pesky floor mat linkage...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Semprez-Templeton, CA on Monday, January 23, 2017 - 07:35 pm:

I lube my headlights only with MMO!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Monday, January 23, 2017 - 08:12 pm:

I installed drip oilers on my headlights after changing to the high speed lights.

I want to be sure the lights can keep up with the truck.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill in Adelaida Calif on Monday, January 23, 2017 - 08:20 pm:

I would suggest a Lucas product. Their products are known for dimming bright lights, I am sure that they could brighten a dim bulb.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Monday, January 23, 2017 - 08:29 pm:

Who you calling a "dim bulb" ? !!!

I will have you know that I was the smartest kid in the Dumb Class,
12 years running !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Tuesday, January 24, 2017 - 02:07 am:

I understand Lucas has announced that they will start manufacturing vacuum cleaners. They want to make one product that doesn't suck!
:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Tuesday, January 24, 2017 - 02:56 am:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Tuesday, January 24, 2017 - 11:50 am:

Only semi-related ....

Yesterday afternoon I was attempting to remove a bunch of wiring that
some dipweed 80's remodeler installed in our place. For an anal retentive
perfectionist builder, I live in the worst POS house I have ever set eyes on !

I have ranted to the wifeperson MANY times about the questionable and
messy work this assclown left us with, suggesting the fire danger, etc. She
has pressed me to seal up walls and leave things as-is, rather then torn apart
until all can be accessed and replaced.

So, there we are, ... she came up to see how things were progressing, and
I go into my usual rant, explaining the jumper wires and how nothing is done
right, when all of a sudden, the light fixture near us starts spitting sparks and
smoke and catches fire !

I am pretty sure the remodeler guy's name was Lucas.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Tuesday, January 24, 2017 - 11:59 am:

Burger, sounds like you better call a plumber ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Tuesday, January 24, 2017 - 01:40 pm:

From most of the posts above, I have determined that "cabin fever" is rampant on the forum. :-):-) Springtime is getting closer, just try and hold on till then. Its almost "Chickasha" season.... see ya'll there. :-) have fun and be safe ....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Tuesday, January 24, 2017 - 02:02 pm:

Dallas,

I am disappointed in your skill set assessment.

Clearly I need a Community Organizer for this problem !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Dufault on Tuesday, January 24, 2017 - 02:27 pm:

Hire this organizer - everything you need at your fingertips:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Tuesday, January 24, 2017 - 02:41 pm:

DAVID!

I did NOT give you permission to post pictures of my "Better Homes and Gardens" and "Martha Stewart" sanctioned living room. Shame on you! (Tongue firmly in cheek.) Bill

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Tuesday, January 24, 2017 - 03:12 pm:

By "Community Organizer", I meant this guy that spent 3 years making the
south side of Chicago a safe and wonderful place to live !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Tuesday, January 24, 2017 - 06:14 pm:

And now he is unemployed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Tuesday, January 24, 2017 - 06:45 pm:

And can inhale that fatty. ;-)

Eh Hem, now that I've quit laughing!

Hey Thom, you still here?
Some folks also like to solder a wire from the socket to the body of the bucket. That's on my bucket list for the '18 with no pun intended.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Wednesday, January 25, 2017 - 12:40 am:

Burger,
You certain you don't live in my house?? In one wall I found a junction box (hidden in the wall) with wires coming out of it much like a spider's legs.
The Front door frame wasn't--the hinge side had a post from the floor to the top plate, but the header only went about halfway across the doorway and the latch post went up about 2/3 of the wall. . . . .The inside wall was 1x12s vertically, so the door held together.
Yes, now it's "normal"--but I still have to take out the 8' long window in a load bearing wall with no header, just some 2x4s toe nailed at an angle from each side. Am I having fun yet???
:-)
Now what was this thread's subject?????

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Wednesday, January 25, 2017 - 06:42 am:

We have several lakes in our area and most houses started life as a weekend cottage. You should see some of the creative construction created with a bunch of buddies and a whole lot of beer on a weekend. I have seen the 1/2 header many times. Also seen beer can junction box in the wall.
I think headlight lube.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Wednesday, January 25, 2017 - 11:58 am:

My house was built by a guy named Richard Brook upon being released from service
in 1945. He built most of the houses up and down the nearby streets, but mine was the
first. He built it out of scrap and salvage, with the intention of tearing it down later to
build a "real" house on the lot. Apparently he got tired of building and decided to pursue
a law degree. He had made enough money building other houses to build his own real
house about a 1/2 block up the street, and there he lived until he died in 2004. This little
temporary scrap shack was sold as-is and lived in, remodeled badly, and just went on
being a house. Now it is MY problem.

As an aside, Mr. Brook liked old cars and it was pretty wild to see what was hauled out
of his garages when I first moved here. No Model T's, just old Packards and Locomobile
kind of stuff. His kid still brings the Locomobile to a summer car show here in town.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tommy coffey on Wednesday, January 25, 2017 - 12:43 pm:

Duey, still here, wading thru the b.s. to get to your post. I had thought about adding an extra ground wire while I hade the lights apart. Any tips on reassembling headlights that I need to know?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Wednesday, January 25, 2017 - 12:56 pm:

An extra ground cable is a good idea - I'm going to do that to improve my bad lh headlamp - as soon as I touch the connector on the rear, it gets brighter, so the problem is in there, for sure..

in 2013 Anthony Bennett posted this picture showing a way to a better ground:

kkkk

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham on Wednesday, January 25, 2017 - 02:52 pm:

Can be hard to ground headlights. Paint, rust or both, lamp bucket to bracket, bracket to fender iron, fender iron to frame and ground (finally) ! Headlights need all the help they can get ! ;- )

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Thursday, January 26, 2017 - 02:15 am:

Thom, I'm so "in the dark" about headlamps (pun not intended)... Heck, my '24 HAD magneto lights for a few years. They sucked but did the job. But oh the fun we had with that rusty old T. Didn't have this forum helping me then.

Some fellas have used a little silicone to hold the "rope" to the reflector behind the lenses.
What Rich and Roger say just above.
I haven't even cleaned any of my reflectors yet. Try this perhaps... http://www.fordgarage.com/pages/reflectorcleaning.htm

Me personally and only me prob'ly. For me, I should put a small dab of grease on the head lamp rim pins and the "ramps/grooves" (NOT correct temrinology) in the buckets so it'll all come apart next time but I often speak out of turn. Hmmm, anti seize would do it too perhaps.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration