OT, but related. Trailer leaking

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: OT, but related. Trailer leaking
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert E. (Bob) Blackbourn, Gautier Ms. on Monday, January 23, 2017 - 12:28 pm:

I bought a trailer with a "V" nose in 2012. About 6 months ago I noticed the floor was wet in the apex of the "V".
I applied lots of sealant to the roof and walls (outside of course) in hopes that would solve the problem.
It was quite a while before I could check on it again, only to find the problem was definitely not solved.
After removing a section of the floor I discovered there was nothing to stop the water that ran down the apex of the "V" from flowing back into the plywood floor.
I am attaching some pictures that show the problem and my solution for your perusal.
Trailer leak 1Trailer leak 2Trailer leak 3Trailer leak 4

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Monday, January 23, 2017 - 01:02 pm:

Your saying you bought it used?? If i bought that new we would be at the dealers!!Is the floor made of particle board?? When we bought ours almost 20 years ago i had a friend undercoat it as soon as i had the D-rings mounted.Bud in Wheeler,Mi.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Gumbinger, Kenosha, WI on Monday, January 23, 2017 - 01:05 pm:

Bob, What make is your trailer? If any of us have that make trailer, we should check ours to make sure we don't wind up with the same situation you have.

Thanks, Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Monday, January 23, 2017 - 02:06 pm:

Keith I was thinking the same thing. But still, I'm gonna go out to the barn in the next day or two and take a look-see.

Bud, it looks to be plywood. However, I've noticed a change to particle board in two different trailers from guys I know. Not so sure about that. I'll be curious down the road to see how it holds up with all the stresses of "bouncing down the road", etc. I'm not a big fan of particle board, a.k.a. OSB. Have to laugh, the wife refers to it as "SOB"!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Monday, January 23, 2017 - 02:20 pm:

Hi Tim,

You said:
"I'm not a big fan of particle board, a.k.a. OSB."

They are NOT the same thing. Mind you, I'm not praising either one, only pointing out that "Tain't the same".

Read more here:

https://www.builddirect.com/learning-center/building-materials/particleboard-ori ented-strand/

Just sayin'

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Monday, January 23, 2017 - 02:25 pm:

Bob,

Are you thinking that the trailer is stored in a manner that water collecting on the roof pools & runs down the center front of the trailer on the outside - then back in along the tongue ?

If so - elevate the trailer at the front so water flows towards the back - seal the area indicated - that should solve the problem.

Freighter Jim

(Message edited by enclosed_ford_transport on January 23, 2017)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Monday, January 23, 2017 - 02:43 pm:

Bob I had a leak on mine about the same thing. Not at front but on sidewall. The factory sent a repair man to fix it and he caulked the top of the aluminum trim piece like you have done. Did kot solve the problem. I removed the screws one at a time and filled the hole with clear silicone and put screws back in and fixed it myself.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan McEachern on Monday, January 23, 2017 - 03:15 pm:

Rather than silicone sealant, a polyurethane sealer like Sikaflex will hold up much longer and adhere better. Its also available in different colors.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Monday, January 23, 2017 - 03:45 pm:

I had a similar problem, but did not discover it until the State Patrol
fined me $10,000 for leaking trailer solution all over the right of way.

The road was shut down for a day as hazmat teams performed their
cleanup.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Monday, January 23, 2017 - 04:00 pm:

Bill, actually I did know that. Shoulda been more precise. I still don't quite trust the OSB, altho it IS a dang site better than particle board. Unfortunately OSB is often mis-stated as particle board. I've seen OSB delaminate under stresses and will definitely sag quicker "under tire" if not supported well, as opposed to plywood. It sags easy enough as it is.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Monday, January 23, 2017 - 04:34 pm:

ADVANTEC is the product name and it looks like OSB but is treated to be water resistant. It is alot harder and heavier,but it will take alot more water than OSB or partical board. Its cheaper than 3/4 treated plywood.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Monday, January 23, 2017 - 04:40 pm:

There you have it,cheaper than 3/4 treated plywood. Cheaper for the trailer mfg but not for the owner! Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Monday, January 23, 2017 - 04:52 pm:

You got it Bud !!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary H. White - Sheridan, MI on Monday, January 23, 2017 - 07:58 pm:

IMHO Pressure treated wood is the way to go for trailer beds. However be aware of it's corrosive nature and degree of treatment which varies with manufacturer. For maximum rot protection consider "ground contact" grade.
http://www.popularmechanics.com/home/outdoor-projects/how-to/a3103/your-guide-to -working-with-pressure-treated-lumber-15655848/

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Monday, January 23, 2017 - 09:56 pm:

We just looked at 24 ft from south ga in douglas. He talks highly of his trailers and you can find the business on eBay under in closed trailers. Hope I don't have these issues. He also Offers a five year warranty. I need to get it in the next 6 weeks before the spring shows start. Tim

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration