How do I put a word document on the Forum

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: How do I put a word document on the Forum
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Art Wilson on Monday, January 23, 2017 - 07:34 pm:

I Made a word document with pictures that I want to post on the Forum. I can get the text to copy but the pictures are not included.
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Art

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Monday, January 23, 2017 - 07:46 pm:

Let's see if it works for me. I am using Word 2010 and was careful to embed a picture with a file size under 250K.

application/vnd.openxmlformats-officedocument.wordprocessingml.documentdocument
Word with embedded Picture.docx (193.1 k)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Howard D. Dennis Byron, Georgia on Monday, January 23, 2017 - 07:49 pm:

Careful Art, we are still deciding if you should be "allowed" to continue putting words and pictures together!

Howard Dennis

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Monday, January 23, 2017 - 07:51 pm:

Hmm, for some reason when I click on my link, instead of opening it, the forum offers to download it to my computer as an unknown file (.unk). homer

Chris, does this ancient forum software know about Windows 10 and above and their .docx format, or can it only handle the older .doc format?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ted Dumas on Monday, January 23, 2017 - 10:03 pm:

Save it as a PDF or download and use the free PDF 995 PDF converter.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth in Alabama on Monday, January 23, 2017 - 10:24 pm:

Art you could always take a screen shot of the article and upload the whole thing as a picture.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Monday, January 23, 2017 - 10:28 pm:

Exactly as Ted above said. Save the Word doc as a PDF. Then convert the PDF to a JPG. There are free online PDF to JPG converters:

https://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=convert+a+pdf+to+a+jpg&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&gws_rd=ssl#q=free+pdf+to+jpg+converter

If you have a Mac, save the document as a PDF. Open the PDF in "Preview" and then export it as a JPG. This is a do not touch sign I made in Word.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth in Alabama on Monday, January 23, 2017 - 10:30 pm:

Erik that sign must be for some other cars you have and not your T(s). Lol I have started whole threads on this subject before but something about a Model T just screams at people to come touch it, and most people do exactly that.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Garnet on Monday, January 23, 2017 - 10:52 pm:

Generally, a Word document would be saved with a .doc or .docx extension ... not pdf.

Garnet

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Garrison - Rice, Minnesota on Monday, January 23, 2017 - 11:14 pm:

Touch what?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Monday, January 23, 2017 - 11:37 pm:

Seth:

You are correct.

I made 4.25" x 5.5" signs for my dad's 1900 Waverley Electric when it was on display for ten days at the 2016 Minnesota State Fair.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Tuesday, January 24, 2017 - 09:10 am:

Update - when I saved the embedded Word document in my earlier post above to my computer, then changed the file type from .unk to .docx, I was able to open it in Word and the embedded picture was there.

So, it can work, although not as easily as folks would like. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Tuesday, January 24, 2017 - 11:24 am:

Here is Mark Strange's test document from his first post above. Downloaded, then opened in Word, saved as a PDF, then exported to a JPG.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Bowker, Ramona, CA on Tuesday, January 24, 2017 - 11:37 am:

So basically any uploads to the forum to show up with no further effort must be a picture in JPG format.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Tuesday, January 24, 2017 - 12:21 pm:

JPG and JPEG will definitely work.

PNG, which is another photo/graphics format probably will also work.

I believe GIF will also work.

I believe anything else will show up as a downloadable attachment.

However, I'm not a computer expert.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Art Wilson on Tuesday, January 24, 2017 - 10:28 pm:

Thanks for all the help. I will just input the article using the Forum message format and add the pictures. The article is about a home made connecting rod balance tool I made.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration