What Year Range Is This Hubcap?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: What Year Range Is This Hubcap?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Everett on Monday, January 23, 2017 - 08:33 pm:

A friend found this hubcap on his farm.

Any ideas as to what year range it is?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Townsend ; ^ ) Gresham, Orygun on Tuesday, January 24, 2017 - 01:20 am:

1918-1927 wood wheels

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Jefferson, Ohio on Tuesday, January 24, 2017 - 07:57 am:

Tell him to keep digging he may find the whole car! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Tuesday, January 24, 2017 - 04:32 pm:

Is it brass or steel under that nickel? To be totally accurate, that makes a difference. Early hubcaps were brass, and left brass. Late in calendar 1916, they began nickel plating them. After that, the base metal was brass, then steel, and later went back to brass again. Even later, many replacement hubcaps were again steel, nickel or chrome plated (I have two of those, straight, but ugly). I think I know about when those changes were made, but don't want to spread too much wrong information if I am not fairly certain. Like most parts Ford, crossover when both types were used.
So, maybe clean it up a little more? Or use a magnet? Tell us whether it is made of brass or steel. Maybe someone with better research capabilities than I can pin the year down a bit closer.
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Tuesday, January 24, 2017 - 04:52 pm:

1917 - 27 wood wheels.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Townsend ; ^ ) Gresham, Orygun on Tuesday, January 24, 2017 - 09:52 pm:

Royce-

I said 1918 because it is the low F Ford script. I have seen the High F Ford script in nickel plated steel, which has the identical stamping as the brass hubcaps used in 1915-1916. I presume the high F stamped nickel plated steel hubcaps would be from 1917.

: ^ )

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Tuesday, January 24, 2017 - 09:59 pm:

Every now and then, just to be different, I come across the occasional nickel plated aluminium hubcap from Canada.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Wednesday, January 25, 2017 - 09:24 am:

If this is the narrow border version, it's 1918-21, 1922 -27 had a wider border/smaller script according to the encyclopedia:
http://www.mtfca.com/encyclo/hubcaps.htm

dddd jjjjj

With the wider border wood wheel hubcaps were produced 1922-24 in nickel plated steel, 1925 - early '26 in polished zinc and later '26-'27 in nickel plated brass.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Wednesday, January 25, 2017 - 11:15 am:

Listen to Keith gentlemen. I have yet to see the high F on a script hubcap with the makers mark letter under Made in U.S.A. I too have a nos nickel plated, high F hubcap with the black background.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration